ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha RIO Auto-Mute Clock Sync issue Product version Rio v5.70 Dante 4.2.1.2  (Read 806 times)

Denzil Dcosta

Rio 32/16 and 16/8 Audio going mute and coming back on audio loss 5 seconds
we have 3 New console pm5 pm3 with dsp rx and ql5 and 6 rio   audio mute issue
Error audio mute -clock sync unlocked -clock sync locked -audio unmute
Product version Rio  v5.70 Dante 4.2.1.2
Rio 4th dip switch down for redundancy rest all up
Redundant Network
Earlier we were using cisco business switch Yamaha said used unmanaged now Both Switch used unmanaged -Cisco SG95-24 24-PORT GIGABIT SWITCH
Error occurs one or twice in a day has it’s a live show we cannot shut down
One of the new  DSP RX LED where we see the unit Id also went off after 40 days of nonstop use
One of the dsp rx display also went off after 40 days non stop working
Is it a firmware Bug?

Denzil Dcosta

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 03:50:59 AM »

Rio 32/16 and 16/8 Audio going mute and coming back on audio loss 5 seconds
we have 3 New console pm5 pm3 with dsp rx and ql5 and 6 rio   audio mute issue
Error audio mute -clock sync unlocked -clock sync locked -audio unmute
Product version Rio  v5.70 Dante 4.2.1.2
Rio 4th dip switch down for redundancy rest all up
Redundant Network
Earlier we were using cisco business switch Yamaha said used unmanaged now Both Switch used unmanaged -Cisco SG95-24 24-PORT GIGABIT SWITCH
Error occurs one or twice in a day has it’s a live show we cannot shut down
One of the new  DSP RX LED where we see the unit Id also went off after 40 days of nonstop use
One of the dsp rx display also went off after 40 days non stop working
Is it a firmware Bug?

Denzil Dcosta

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name name as required by the posting rules of the forum.

Mac

Andrien (No Last Name)

Without much diagram it is quite hard to diagnose the problem, but did you do digital split between console? Do you use 2 dante HY card on PM? Try Enable Sync to External on the HY card which are the preferred leaders though I'm not sure it will help.
How many hops between switch? Try to set higher latency and see if the issue persist? I saw 1 RIO having 0.25ms latency while others have 1ms, try to set it all to 1ms or higher.

Talking about switches, that CISCO SG95-24-AS is actually not compatible with Dante due to it being EEE switch (https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/can-i-use-eee-energy-efficient-ethernet-or-green-ethernet-in-my-dante-network), but afaik if no other devices connected except Dante it might still be able to work (or not as switches are generally not standardized for real time application)
Any unmanaged non-EEE switch should work though

What Cisco Business Switch did you use? Have you tried disabling EEE on the managed switch?  I did one using Cisco 350 series (as 300 series is End-Of-Life) and so far doesn't seems to have issue but it was used between Yamaha TF, Allen Heath D-Live and SQ boards.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 02:02:42 PM by Andrien (No Last Name) »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!

Without much diagram it is quite hard to diagnose the problem, but did you do digital split between console? Do you use 2 dante HY card on PM? Try Enable Sync to External on the HY card which are the preferred leaders though I'm not sure it will help.
How many hops between switch? Try to set higher latency and see if the issue persist? I saw 1 RIO having 0.25ms latency while others have 1ms, try to set it all to 1ms or higher.

Talking about switches, that CISCO SG95-24-AS is actually not compatible with Dante due to it being EEE switch (https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/can-i-use-eee-energy-efficient-ethernet-or-green-ethernet-in-my-dante-network), but afaik if no other devices connected except Dante it might still be able to work (or not as switches are generally not standardized for real time application)
Any unmanaged non-EEE switch should work though

What Cisco Business Switch did you use? Have you tried disabling EEE on the managed switch?  I did one using Cisco 350 series (as 300 series is End-Of-Life) and so far doesn't seems to have issue but it was used between Yamaha TF, Allen Heath D-Live and SQ boards.

These are all good suggestions, but I'm going to sum up a bit and list my top 3 Dante Troubleshooting steps for intermittent problems.

1. Disconnect the secondary network on ALL devices.

2. Set Latency for all devices to maximum amount allowed.

3. Hunt down and eliminate ANY and ALL possible EEE switch settings.

In my experience, with new configurations/installs EEE switches or switch settings are the Far Most Likely culprit for intermittent audio dropouts. So be SUPER sure that you've hunted down any possible culprits before you move on to any other troubleshooting steps. It's worth noting that nearly ALL stupid switches sold today have EEE turned ON and it is rarely noted anywhere on the documentation. And I've seen two Linksys switches that looked identical from the outside and one had EEE locked on and the other did not. So this can require some THOROUGH hunting to make sure you eliminate this as a problem.

If these steps clear up your issues, then it's time to start lowering your Latency settings back to nominal levels and reconnecting your Secondary Network. Congratulations, you're back in business.

If this does NOT clear up your issues, Then, what you want to look at is the Latency log between devices that you can see on the device status window in Dante Controller. Offset between devices should remain fairly constant. If it's varying considerably even after all the steps I list above you need to start digging deeper into switch settings and other issues.

Finally, in my experience Dante issues are ALMOST never caused by "bugs" or other equipment failures. Note emphasis on ALMOST. It can happen, but there are a LOT of other places you should look before you start convincing yourself that there is a firmware bug somewhere that is causing your issue.

Good Luck!

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Yamaha RIO Auto-Mute Clock Sync issue Product version Rio v5.70 Dante 4.2.1.2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.