ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: We saw this in a ballroom this weekend and... have questions.  (Read 6515 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: We saw this in a ballroom this weekend and... have questions.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2021, 07:26:25 PM »

Around here, I have seen this kind of stuff in hotels.  More than once the edisons have been wired for 220.

220V Edison's would be fun.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2021, 08:23:15 PM »

Around here, I have seen this kind of stuff in hotels.  More than once the edisons have been wired for 220.

I was in an older school building and on the stage was, probably still is a standard 20amp Edison with a
worn out label on it stating it was wired for 220. I check it, sure it enough it was, they said they used it for the floor buffer.

I wonder how much stuff was burned up from it over the years, everyone always reads the labels!!

I was doing an event in a church banquet room, plugged into the standard 50 amp 14-50R range plug to feed the distro, metered my outlets only to find that plug was wired with 208 three phase.
Ground was still wired as ground, neutral was live with a phase on it.

Always meter first!!!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »

Meter twice, plug once.  8)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 07:16:48 PM »

I was in an older school building and on the stage was, probably still is a standard 20amp Edison with a
worn out label on it stating it was wired for 220. I check it, sure it enough it was, they said they used it for the floor buffer.

I wonder how much stuff was burned up from it over the years, everyone always reads the labels!!

Most modern powered speakers wouldn't care-in fact a lot of our power supplies wouldn't even flinch. Still not a good idea!

It amazes me what people will do.  One of my maintenance guys was adding a receptacle next to my office last week-tied into power from my office, but ended up with a short.  Turns out the union electrician that wired this about 8 years ago using 12-2 MC cable decided to use the green wire in one cable for a traveler.  He remarked the wire (never, IMO, acceptable with green wires) in the switch boxes, but neglected to in the ceiling j-box..
Steve Swaffer

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 07:35:14 PM »

Turns out the union electrician that wired this about 8 years ago using 12-2 MC cable decided to use the green wire in one cable for a traveler.  He remarked the wire (never, IMO, acceptable with green wires) in the switch boxes, but neglected to in the ceiling j-box..

Drives me insane that 'licensed' electricians can do this sort of thing and not lose their license.  You see it a LOT.  Oh, and it's not just your opinion. You are 100% correct that a green wire is never to be used as a load wire.

NEC code specifies that you can, if necessary, tag the WHITE wire as hot for a traveler, but never the green or bare one.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2021, 04:27:05 AM »

with the exception of the illegal plug setup its no different from the power lugs on a generator. Connect your cam lock pigtails to the lugs. The plugs need to be on a separate breaker panel.

The ground wire looks continous. We were required to have a one piece ground wire in those situations. It looks as if that is the case there. Strip some insulation off and lug it and keep it going.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:34:04 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 04:30:40 AM »

This is the kind of crap I'm used to seeing in hockey rinks, not ball rooms, although as other have pointed out, it looks like an attempt to do it right was made initially.
I haven't had to tie in tails in years (it's been range plugs or installed cams lately), but I think the last time was about 10 years ago when I ran into something similar.  The twist-locs were L14-30s, although I didn't use them.  Even my 2 ga. feeder tails were somewhat marginal if that line really was backed up with a 200A breaker.

GTD
omg ! thats awful !

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 04:30:40 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.