Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

We saw this in a ballroom this weekend and... have questions.

(1/8) > >>

Mark Ellis:
We had a gig this past weekend in a good sized ballroom (advertised as up to 500 guests) in a big hotel in a mid-sized town. There were three closets, each with its own power box. One was labeled '100 AMP' the other two were labeled '60 AMP'. (Other than that difference they were identical in every way). I've never encountered anything like it before and wanted to get other's opinions. Power is coming in from the ceiling to two power boxes, than ONLY go to a dual gang outlet box with regular edison plugs. (I've attached pics. If it's not already evident, power came from the ceiling into the fuse box, then to the junction box ['box 2.jpg'] into the edison plugs below).

We tried telling them this was unsafe, but got the, "We've had lots of bands in here and never had a problem!" Apparently, most groups that play in here only plug into the one 100 AMP closet and draw all their power from the 4 edison plugs in there. I pointed out the burnt plug and they didn't care...

We ended up distributing our power between the 3 closets and an additional wall plug we found, which had us pulling right around 20 amps per outlet at most. I just wonder what other's thoughts are on this. I left thinking maybe I'd send an email to a higher up at the hotel if y'all (smarter guys) thought it was as dangerous as I do.

Brian Adams:
Wow, that's scary, and an accident waiting to happen. Looks like it's had a few close calls before.

It seems like the duplex outlets were added later, probably by somebody on staff at the hotel, and obviously not even close to being up to code. I wonder what your local electrical inspector would think of these photos!

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Mark Ellis on August 30, 2021, 12:48:46 PM ---We ended up distributing our power between the 3 closets and an additional wall plug we found, which had us pulling right around 20 amps per outlet at most. I just wonder what other's thoughts are on this. I left thinking maybe I'd send an email to a higher up at the hotel if y'all (smarter guys) thought it was as dangerous as I do.

--- End quote ---

The burned outlet is an issue, and this would be more user friendly if it had proper high power connectors on each switch, but this is what I have been used to seeing for the 45 years I have been working in large spaces. You bring your Cam Lok tails and tie into their company switches.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}:
it looks like an attempt to do right that was later tweaked.

Yes, tell everybody...  at a minimum the outlets should be GFCI but that isn't the largest problem.

JR

Tim Weaver:
This is a situation where they "did it right" solution was put in at some point. The disconnect, the buss bars in a seperate box with knockouts. This is awseome.

What happened was, some group came in and didn't have a distro. The house electrician threw some quad boxes in there to get through that gig, and they were just never taken out. Now you have 20 amp receptacles fused at 100 amps. Seems like a recipe for some spectacular fireworks for me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version