ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System Sound  (Read 4340 times)

John Brad

System Sound
« on: August 27, 2021, 06:02:09 PM »

Hi, I have a system composed of 4 electrovoics and 2 Horn Fold subwoofers. The problem is that the crossover is canceled between it is dbx 223XL and I noticed that I always have to press the reverse button on the right side to sound properly. Both are in the phase, I noticed that the bass feels strong in the middle and not at all in the corners, instead if you press the reverse button in the corners it sounds like full bass. Finally the bass where it should feel in the middle or in the distance ?? Used amplifiers Lab Gruppen lab 2000

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »

Hi, I have a system composed of 4 electrovoics and 2 Horn Fold subwoofers. The problem is that the crossover is canceled between it is dbx 223XL and I noticed that I always have to press the reverse button on the right side to sound properly. Both are in the phase, I noticed that the bass feels strong in the middle and not at all in the corners, instead if you press the reverse button in the corners it sounds like full bass. Finally the bass where it should feel in the middle or in the distance ?? Used amplifiers Lab Gruppen lab 2000

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

John Brad

Problem subwoofer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »

Hi, I have a system composed of 4 electrovoics and 2 Horn Fold subwoofers. The problem is that the crossover is canceled between it is dbx 223XL and I noticed that I always have to press the reverse button on the right side to sound properly. Both are in the phase, I noticed that the bass feels strong in the middle and not at all in the

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: System Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »

Back to basics.

Battery test all drivers to ensure proper phase.

Suggest a cable tester for cables to save time and test all cables.

Take it from there.

If things are still strange, have the crossover checked out or try a different one.

John Brad

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »

Back to basics.

Battery test all drivers to ensure proper phase.

Suggest a cable tester for cables to save time and test all cables.

Take it from there.

If things are still strange, have the crossover checked out or try a different one.

All the cables are finely tested with the battery the problem is that the basses cancel each other out. You have to reverse the polarity of the crossover to be okay. :)
The bass where it feels The bass where it feels in the middle or in the distance?? Because if I leave the normal polarity between them it feels in the middle hard the bass if the exchange feels in the distance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:16:32 PM by John Brad »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »

Have the crossover checked out or try another one.  I would also test all interconnecting cables in the amp rack for phase, as well as the amps themselves.

You need to check everything in the signal chain.  Phase could be inverted by a bad cable or adaptor upstream of the crossover and it's only noticeable in the lower frequency range.

Having a single mono feed on one cable to the crossover will eliminate the possibility of an upstream phase issue.

Check everything in the system.  I would be checking with a dual trace or 4 trace scope to ensure phase.

There are far too many variables to do a definitive keyboard analysis.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:24:10 PM by Steve-White »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »

Have the crossover checked out or try another one.  I would also test all interconnecting cables in the amp rack for phase, as well as the amps themselves.
Having a single mono feed on one cable to the crossover will eliminate the possibility of an upstream phase issue.
Polarity not phase.

Ultimately, if you can't troubleshoot the problem, and reversing the polarity on one sub cures it, just do it.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Brad

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »

Polarity not phase.

Ultimately, if you can't troubleshoot the problem, and reversing the polarity on one sub cures it, just do it.

so toggle the reverse button on the crossover because that sounds good but do these things happen with line array systems?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »

These things happen with any sound system if some component is out of spec be it a driver , enclosure, amp, speaker or XLR cable. It simply means it's time to set the gear up outside of a gig situation and tests EVERY component. It's entirely unrelated to the type of speaker systems in use be they line arrays or other.

so toggle the reverse button on the crossover because that sounds good but do these things happen with line array systems?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »

These things happen with any sound system if some component is out of spec be it a driver , enclosure, amp, speaker or XLR cable. It simply means it's time to set the gear up outside of a gig situation and tests EVERY component. It's entirely unrelated to the type of speaker systems in use be they line arrays or other.

You have identified a problem, but not tested at a granular enough level to pinpoint where the problem occurs, You need to test every component in the signal chain to determine where you need to fix the problem.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.