Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Electro Voice ETX Series: Data Sheet Disparity?

(1/2) > >>

Peter J. Curtis:
To preface, I have little experience with the ETX line but I know the parts are the same as the Tour X, essentially making the ETX line a powered and redone version of the Tour X, except for the ETX 18SP which uses the Phoenix driver.

My question is regarding the data sheets posted on Electro Voice's site. It was brought to my attention that on the second page of the data sheet, where the frequency response graphs are, that the ETX 35P only has an advantage over the ETX 15P from about 700Hz-1000Hz.

Now I know the main difference is that the ETX 35P can be splayed given its 60/40 coverage and its 3-way design. Thus, it's easy to argue why the ETX 35P is probably a touch less loud (the difference is probably not noticeable in real world usage), but when comparing the ETX 10P and ETX 12P graphs, the ETX 10P actually looks like the better choice, when one has a sub. But honestly, I probably wouldn't run any of the ETX tops without a sub because the woofers are not of the same caliber to be run without a sub as something like the ZXa5 (my opinion). It is just that the ZX line is at the end of its life and will, most likely, be discontinued shortly.

So my question is: Should I recommend the ETX 35P and ETX 15P for DJs? My guess, at the moment, is that the ETX 15P is the most lackluster of the product line and that the ETX 35P is for scalability for larger events and probably not something for DJs unless they are doing large events (in geometrical size, not people). I am honestly failing to understand the use case for the ETX 15P, or even the ETX 12P, because the ETX 10P looks like the most economical choice since, I believe, a sub is mandatory with this line. I am hoping someone with real experience using these cabinets can explain and hopefully provide a use case for the ETX 15P (maybe fills?). The reason why I'm stuck pushing for the ETX is because of client preference and they want to stick with EV and want powered. Also, side note, I was hoping EV would just make the QRx line powered but we have what we have.

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Peter J. Curtis on August 26, 2021, 02:05:33 PM ---So my question is: Should I recommend the ETX 35P and ETX 15P for DJs?
--- End quote ---
Absolutely not.

--- Quote from: Peter J. Curtis on August 26, 2021, 02:05:33 PM --- I am honestly failing to understand the use case for the ETX 15P, or even the ETX 12P, because the ETX 10P looks like the most economical choice since,
--- End quote ---
In what way? Simply cost?

--- Quote from: Peter J. Curtis on August 26, 2021, 02:05:33 PM ---I believe, a sub is mandatory with this line.
--- End quote ---
IMO.. subs are manditory for DJs in particular, and given that there is no point at all to carry a top box with a 15" driver. But there are DJ applications where a single "fullrange" box is desired...like cocktail area coverage or as fills in the main room, and to that end the 12" will do a better job than the 10".

I own a bunch of EVs new powered boxed(EKX and ZLX) and have used much of the ETX line, and I'm a sound an lighting provider that caters to wedding/corp events DJs primarily.

Peter J. Curtis:

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on August 26, 2021, 08:12:14 PM --- Absolutely not.

--- End quote ---

That was my take as well, good to know I was on the right track.

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on August 26, 2021, 08:12:14 PM --- In what way? Simply cost?

--- End quote ---

The ETX 10P spec sheet shows roughly the same SPL as the ETX 12P. Even if the 12P woofer took 2x the power, it'd only be barely audibly louder in person (but I presume it'd merely have more low end than mid). And I seriously doubt it takes >2x power. They use the same DH3 though. This is why I wanted to know the real world experience since the spec sheets seemed like they could have a disparity in actual usage. For example, I was pondering that when the 12P is crossed at, say 100hz, with a sub, would the extra power make it substantially louder than the 10P in the mids? Cost is a factor too, as the 10P is cheaper, and if it matches the 12P with a sub then it makes the 10P the better choice.

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on August 26, 2021, 08:12:14 PM ---But there are DJ applications where a single "fullrange" box is desired...like cocktail area coverage or as fills in the main room, and to that end the 12" will do a better job than the 10".

--- End quote ---

I appreciate the input. When the application requires full range, as you've described, then the 12P is the choice and the 15P and 35P still make little sense for a DJ.

Thank you.

Chris Grimshaw:

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on August 26, 2021, 08:12:14 PM ---
 IMO.. subs are manditory for DJs in particular, and given that there is no point at all to carry a top box with a 15" driver.

--- End quote ---

Just a quick FWIW that I mostly agree, but did run some custom 15" 2-way boxes for a while that did the business. They were EV DH1a + Beyma 15P1200Nd drivers. ie, a chunky compression driver and a high-power subwoofer sharing a box. They were heavy and very power-hungry, but were flat to below 50Hz and got usefully loud.

My current speakers are smaller, lighter and louder. Not as much bass, but that's what subwoofers are for.

Chris

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Peter J. Curtis on August 26, 2021, 08:30:32 PM ---The ETX 10P spec sheet shows roughly the same SPL as the ETX 12P. Even if the 12P woofer took 2x the power, it'd only be barely audibly louder in person (but I presume it'd merely have more low end than mid).
--- End quote ---
Yes the 12 has more lowend output. Typically a larger driver will have a slight SPL advantage over a smaller driver.. all else being the same, but of course that is never the case. Here it appears the EV didn't even try to get much lowend out of the 10" box so the midband advantage the 12 should have disappeared.

--- Quote from: Peter J. Curtis on August 26, 2021, 08:30:32 PM --- For example, I was pondering that when the 12P is crossed at, say 100hz, with a sub, would the extra power make it substantially louder than the 10P in the mids? Cost is a factor too, as the 10P is cheaper, and if it matches the 12P with a sub then it makes the 10P the better choice.

--- End quote ---
All these boxes get louder before the onset of limiting when highpassed over subs, but that doesn't change the relative performance achievable between boxes. I think the 10p would make for a super compact FOH system with a 15" sub but the 12p is a better swiss army knife.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version