ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEC repurpose to Powercon  (Read 3300 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: IEC repurpose to Powercon
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 12:46:53 AM »

If the IEC cable is short enough a smaller wire gauge really isn’t going to be an issue.  My 50A oven has at most 14ga wire internally and hasn’t had a single problem.  It’s such a short run that voltage drop across it is still less than 3% IF a full 50A was being pulled (unlikely). Now an oven is a manufactured and tested product and I don’t suggest running 50A down a 14ga wire.  However a short jump from stringer to device in open air is unlikely to cause any issue.  The breaker should trip before enough current flowed to cause a problem.

Your typical large heating element in an oven is about 2500 watts.  At 240 volts, that's just over 10 amps.  Each element is on its own run back to that main 50 amp source which is why they can safely use 14 gauge wire internally.  Of course, if you had some sort of partial failure of an element that increased the current draw, there is risk that the internal cable could start on fire.  That sort of failure is nearly impossible without modification, so it's considered acceptable.  Even still, some devices will have additional circuit breakers or fuses on each element just in case.

While you won't see much voltage drop over a short piece of wire, voltage drop means heat is being generated in the wire.  If you run 20 amps through a 6 foot piece of #18 wire, you would see a 3% voltage drop. That works out to 13 watts of heat dissipated per linear foot of wire.

In comparison, the same voltage drop on a piece of #12 would need a 25 foot cable to have a similar voltage drop, which works out to about 3 watts per foot.

At 20 amps, that #12 is going to get warm.  If you coil up the #12, or bundle a whole bunch of cables with the same draw together so that the heat can't escape, it could eventually melt.

A piece of #18 at 20 amps will get VERY hot in open air.  Hot enough that it will likely melt the internal wires and once those get soft, any movement of the wire can cause a short.  ie, hot wire, someone bumps it, and that's when the short would happen.  If it sits untouched, it could get melty, but not quite enough to short out if there's no stress on the internal components.

A breaker won't do anything to prevent this until it does short out, and then hopefully the breaker trips. 

Just a recipe for disaster if you don't pay attention!
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »

Interesting quandary.  Debbie this would probably be best served in the AC Power and Grounding forum.

Lots of things to consider here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 12:59:12 PM by Steve-White »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 01:12:31 PM »

Interesting quandary.  Debbie this would probably be best served in the AC Power and Grounding forum.

Lots of things to consider here.

Possibly but I think I have my answer - I really just wanted to see if others have encountered any issues doing this.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

Those type cords are typically 16ga with a 15A Edison plug on them.  Using them on a stage you will want to be sure from a NEC/liability perspective to cover yourass.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »

Possibly but I think I have my answer - I really just wanted to see if others have encountered any issues doing this.
One fun thing I did years ago was taking 4 of the 18-ga IEC cables and fitting them all into a single Hubbel male edison.  That way I could neatly run 4 of the lights off just one connection without cube-taps or power strips (they were all IEC and did not have loop outs).  I even used different length IEC's so the cords hung nice and tidy with minimal excess slack loops.
I doubt it was at all in any way code acceptable but it survived a couple theater tours (where I was the only one handling it). 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.