Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

IEC repurpose to Powercon

(1/3) > >>

Debbie Dunkley:
I have couple of fixtures - 77w draw each. The NEMA to Powercon cables that came with them are pretty heavy duty and I'd like to make some lighter weight, shorter cables by using a couple of old IEC cables and cutting off the IEC end and replacing with Powecons but wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked anything that could be a problem.
Over the years I seem to have 'collected' far more IEC cables than I will ever need so it makes sense to repurpose this way.
I made some Powercon cables before this way for subs I owned but they were - and needed to be - heavy duty.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on August 25, 2021, 08:36:37 PM ---I have couple of fixtures - 77w draw each. The NEMA to Powercon cables that came with them are pretty heavy duty and I'd like to make some lighter weight, shorter cables by using a couple of old IEC cables and cutting off the IEC end and replacing with Powecons but wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked anything that could be a problem.
Over the years I seem to have 'collected' far more IEC cables than I will ever need so it makes sense to repurpose this way.
I made some Powercon cables before this way for subs I owned but they were - and needed to be - heavy duty.

--- End quote ---
I do that a lot.

David Morison:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on August 25, 2021, 08:36:37 PM ---I have couple of fixtures - 77w draw each. The NEMA to Powercon cables that came with them are pretty heavy duty and I'd like to make some lighter weight, shorter cables by using a couple of old IEC cables and cutting off the IEC end and replacing with Powecons but wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked anything that could be a problem.

--- End quote ---

The cable used for the original IEC leads will almost certainly be rated for less current than the Powercons. Clearly, that wouldn't be an issue for fixtures with <100W draw.
However, I don't know if that could be a code issue in the US, but at the very least you'd need to remember that those cables do not have the full rating of the Powercon, so that you don't inadvertently try and use them for some higher current application in the future (like your aforementioned subs).
Cheers,
David.

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: David Morison on August 26, 2021, 05:36:14 PM ---The cable used for the original IEC leads will almost certainly be rated for less current than the Powercons. Clearly, that wouldn't be an issue for fixtures with <100W draw.
However, I don't know if that could be a code issue in the US, but at the very least you'd need to remember that those cables do not have the full rating of the Powercon, so that you don't inadvertently try and use them for some higher current application in the future (like your aforementioned subs).
Cheers,
David.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Dave and David - this is what I needed to know. I will certainly make sure to never use those cables for anything rated much higher than the fixtures. I don't even own anything else that requires Powercon cables anymore.

Brian Jojade:
Yes, very easy to do.  Hack off the IEC, attach a powercon.  Done.

Of course, just like with IEC cords, it's important to pay attention to the gauge of the wire and the intended use, or you'll be in for a surprise. 

One thing to be cautious about though is to meter the wires to make sure you're wiring them correctly.  The internal color codes may not match US standards, or in some cases not match any standards at all...  Yes, I've run into IEC cords where the internal green piece of wire is tied to the hot leg.  Good times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version