ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEC repurpose to Powercon  (Read 3301 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
IEC repurpose to Powercon
« on: August 25, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »

I have couple of fixtures - 77w draw each. The NEMA to Powercon cables that came with them are pretty heavy duty and I'd like to make some lighter weight, shorter cables by using a couple of old IEC cables and cutting off the IEC end and replacing with Powecons but wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked anything that could be a problem.
Over the years I seem to have 'collected' far more IEC cables than I will ever need so it makes sense to repurpose this way.
I made some Powercon cables before this way for subs I owned but they were - and needed to be - heavy duty.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: IEC repurpose to Powercon
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 10:51:55 PM »

I have couple of fixtures - 77w draw each. The NEMA to Powercon cables that came with them are pretty heavy duty and I'd like to make some lighter weight, shorter cables by using a couple of old IEC cables and cutting off the IEC end and replacing with Powecons but wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked anything that could be a problem.
Over the years I seem to have 'collected' far more IEC cables than I will ever need so it makes sense to repurpose this way.
I made some Powercon cables before this way for subs I owned but they were - and needed to be - heavy duty.
I do that a lot.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 05:36:14 PM »

The cable used for the original IEC leads will almost certainly be rated for less current than the Powercons. Clearly, that wouldn't be an issue for fixtures with <100W draw.
However, I don't know if that could be a code issue in the US, but at the very least you'd need to remember that those cables do not have the full rating of the Powercon, so that you don't inadvertently try and use them for some higher current application in the future (like your aforementioned subs).
Cheers,
David.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 05:55:43 PM »

The cable used for the original IEC leads will almost certainly be rated for less current than the Powercons. Clearly, that wouldn't be an issue for fixtures with <100W draw.
However, I don't know if that could be a code issue in the US, but at the very least you'd need to remember that those cables do not have the full rating of the Powercon, so that you don't inadvertently try and use them for some higher current application in the future (like your aforementioned subs).
Cheers,
David.

Thank you Dave and David - this is what I needed to know. I will certainly make sure to never use those cables for anything rated much higher than the fixtures. I don't even own anything else that requires Powercon cables anymore.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »

Yes, very easy to do.  Hack off the IEC, attach a powercon.  Done.

Of course, just like with IEC cords, it's important to pay attention to the gauge of the wire and the intended use, or you'll be in for a surprise. 

One thing to be cautious about though is to meter the wires to make sure you're wiring them correctly.  The internal color codes may not match US standards, or in some cases not match any standards at all...  Yes, I've run into IEC cords where the internal green piece of wire is tied to the hot leg.  Good times.
Brian Jojade

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »

Of course, just like with IEC cords, it's important to pay attention to the gauge of the wire and the intended use, or you'll be in for a surprise. 

One thing to be cautious about though is to meter the wires to make sure you're wiring them correctly.  The internal color codes may not match US standards, or in some cases not match any standards at all...  Yes, I've run into IEC cords where the internal green piece of wire is tied to the hot leg.  Good times.

Thanks Brian - Yes, I'd never just assume... I will test continuity end to end pre and post wiring.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 01:00:36 AM »

I know you can buy an IEC C14 to Powercon cable. I'm not sure it's a particularly good idea, but they exist. I'm bringing it up because if it's a bad idea, someone here is bound to know and say so, which would be useful information.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 03:21:24 AM »

If the IEC cable is short enough a smaller wire gauge really isn’t going to be an issue.  My 50A oven has at most 14ga wire internally and hasn’t had a single problem.  It’s such a short run that voltage drop across it is still less than 3% IF a full 50A was being pulled (unlikely). Now an oven is a manufactured and tested product and I don’t suggest running 50A down a 14ga wire.  However a short jump from stringer to device in open air is unlikely to cause any issue.  The breaker should trip before enough current flowed to cause a problem.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 02:56:03 PM »

I've done this a lot. I often find the wrong color wire inside the  cables. I've also come across those with Hot/neutral reversed . Always use a meter to confirm the hot leg

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 10:22:49 PM »

Thanks guys…

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 12:46:53 AM »

If the IEC cable is short enough a smaller wire gauge really isn’t going to be an issue.  My 50A oven has at most 14ga wire internally and hasn’t had a single problem.  It’s such a short run that voltage drop across it is still less than 3% IF a full 50A was being pulled (unlikely). Now an oven is a manufactured and tested product and I don’t suggest running 50A down a 14ga wire.  However a short jump from stringer to device in open air is unlikely to cause any issue.  The breaker should trip before enough current flowed to cause a problem.

Your typical large heating element in an oven is about 2500 watts.  At 240 volts, that's just over 10 amps.  Each element is on its own run back to that main 50 amp source which is why they can safely use 14 gauge wire internally.  Of course, if you had some sort of partial failure of an element that increased the current draw, there is risk that the internal cable could start on fire.  That sort of failure is nearly impossible without modification, so it's considered acceptable.  Even still, some devices will have additional circuit breakers or fuses on each element just in case.

While you won't see much voltage drop over a short piece of wire, voltage drop means heat is being generated in the wire.  If you run 20 amps through a 6 foot piece of #18 wire, you would see a 3% voltage drop. That works out to 13 watts of heat dissipated per linear foot of wire.

In comparison, the same voltage drop on a piece of #12 would need a 25 foot cable to have a similar voltage drop, which works out to about 3 watts per foot.

At 20 amps, that #12 is going to get warm.  If you coil up the #12, or bundle a whole bunch of cables with the same draw together so that the heat can't escape, it could eventually melt.

A piece of #18 at 20 amps will get VERY hot in open air.  Hot enough that it will likely melt the internal wires and once those get soft, any movement of the wire can cause a short.  ie, hot wire, someone bumps it, and that's when the short would happen.  If it sits untouched, it could get melty, but not quite enough to short out if there's no stress on the internal components.

A breaker won't do anything to prevent this until it does short out, and then hopefully the breaker trips. 

Just a recipe for disaster if you don't pay attention!
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »

Interesting quandary.  Debbie this would probably be best served in the AC Power and Grounding forum.

Lots of things to consider here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 12:59:12 PM by Steve-White »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 01:12:31 PM »

Interesting quandary.  Debbie this would probably be best served in the AC Power and Grounding forum.

Lots of things to consider here.

Possibly but I think I have my answer - I really just wanted to see if others have encountered any issues doing this.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

Those type cords are typically 16ga with a 15A Edison plug on them.  Using them on a stage you will want to be sure from a NEC/liability perspective to cover yourass.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »

Possibly but I think I have my answer - I really just wanted to see if others have encountered any issues doing this.
One fun thing I did years ago was taking 4 of the 18-ga IEC cables and fitting them all into a single Hubbel male edison.  That way I could neatly run 4 of the lights off just one connection without cube-taps or power strips (they were all IEC and did not have loop outs).  I even used different length IEC's so the cords hung nice and tidy with minimal excess slack loops.
I doubt it was at all in any way code acceptable but it survived a couple theater tours (where I was the only one handling it). 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.