ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any onions on the, Kv2 Audio "EX6" and "EX26" speakers  (Read 9498 times)

Dan Andrews

Any onions on the, Kv2 Audio "EX6" and "EX26" speakers
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »

I haven't heard any discussion on the forum about Kv2 Audio speakers, and wondered if anyone has used them and how they went?

I have herd the "HK Audio" Lucas Smart PA System and found them to be very good, but they come with a 10 inch base speaker cabinet, and can't be used without it.

My church is 11 meters (36 feet) long,  6 meters (20 feet) wide, and 3 meters or (10 feet) high.  So basically a shoe box.
The pa system is used for speaking and preaching with a very large dynamic range.  So I was looking at the Kv2 Audio "EX6" and EX26 speakers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

All the Best, Dan

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Any onions on the, Kv2 Audio "EX6" and "EX26" speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:53 AM »

What are the acoustics of the room like?  Where would the speakers be located relative to where any mics would be used?  How do you plan to mount the speakers?  My concern woulkd be that depending on the room acoustics and relationships to the microphones, the nominal 100x100 pattern of the EX6 and EX26 may not be the best choice in terms of intelligibility and gain before feedback.

Dan Andrews

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your reply. 

But have you heard or used either of these speakers?

As to what the room's acoustics is like --- Well, the walls are smooth rendered brick, with three tall windows, and floor length drapes on each side. The floor is carpet, and the chairs are fabric covered.  So not the best, but because we rent the building, we can't make big permanent changes. 

Our current set-up is with the minister behind the lectern which puts him 5 feet from the back wall, and in the center of the room, but he often goes' to a chuck board or overhead projector. So hard to nail him down.  The speakers are on stands 6 foot tall and against the side walls, left and right, and about 10 feet from the back wall.

What would you recommend, in view of your concern about nominal 100 X 100 pattern of these speakers?  And would you opt for a different speaker position?

Thanks for your help, Dan

What are the acoustics of the room like?  Where would the speakers be located relative to where any mics would be used?  How do you plan to mount the speakers?  My concern woulkd be that depending on the room acoustics and relationships to the microphones, the nominal 100x100 pattern of the EX6 and EX26 may not be the best choice in terms of intelligibility and gain before feedback.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »

Here's my thinking...

If the speakers are against the side walls and at thr front edge of or in front of the listener area then anything greater than a 90 degree horizontal pattern almost insures excess coverage and/or some sound being directed on to the stage.

With the speakers on 6' stands then unless the speakers are angled down you would seem to have the vertical axis of the speaker aimed above most people's ears even if they are standing and more than half the sound going above the listeners' heads when they are seated.  With a 10' ceiling, a 100 degree vertical pattern speaker at that height would probably also result in a lot of that energy that is not directed at the listeners bouncing off the ceiling.

So what I envision is the likelihood of more energy from the speakers being directed at the walls and ceiling than at the listeners as well as the potential for some spill on to the stage.  Since the primary focus of the system seems to be spoken word, that seems to conflict with the likely goals of intelligibility and good gain before feedback.

Suggesting speakers and where to locate is always difficult without knowing factors such as the potential practical limitations or options for speaker locations, the relationship of those potential locations to the listener area and microphones, the budget, the rest of the system and so on.  Anything offered without more information would either be a WAG or based on numerous assumptions.

Dan Andrews

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the info.

Would a single one of these 100X100 speaker mounted off the center of the ceiling and just above the front of the first row of seats, angled down, say 25 degrees or so, give enough coverage without too much spill? 

Remember the room is only 20 feet wide, and from the speaker to the floor at the back wall would be about 25 to 30feet.

Thanks again for your help.

All the Best, Dan

Kent Thompson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the info.

Would a single one of these 100X100 speaker mounted off the center of the ceiling and just above the front of the first row of seats, angled down, say 25 degrees or so, give enough coverage without too much spill? 

Remember the room is only 20 feet wide, and from the speaker to the floor at the back wall would be about 25 to 30feet.

Thanks again for your help.

All the Best, Dan

Sounds like you have a solution in search of a problem. When your problem should define the solution. Start with the problem (getting sound to the people in the room intelligibly without feedback and on budget) and then find a solution to fit that problem instead of trying to force a solution that really may not fit the problem.

mattywayne

• Get to the chorus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »

I haven't heard the EX6s. Four years ago I installed the EX12s and the EX2.2s in one of our satellite campuses, and have been very pleased with them. The KV stuff is made well and sounds great, but I really couldn't say if the EX6 is the right box for your application.
Band and Technical Director at Cross Point Community Church - Nashville, TN www.crosspoint.tv

Dan Andrews

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:55 PM »

Thanks Matty,

I did wan't to find out if the Kv2 audio speakers were top quility, or second rate, so it's good to here that you have been very pleased with them.

All the Best, Dan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.