ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR handle  (Read 3184 times)

John Dowden

DSR handle
« on: August 24, 2021, 11:35:25 PM »

I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of used but very well taken care of DSR's but I have one pretty big question... How the heck do you guys manage to put the DSR 12's on speaker stands without having any side handles? It's not a huge deal as I usually have help with setting up the PA but the last thing I need is someone not being able to get a decent hold on the cabinet and getting whacked in the head. I'm half tempted to install at least one low profile fender amp style handle on each cabinet just so I have a bit more to hold on to when I'm lifting them so they don't get away from me.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: DSR handle
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »

I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of used but very well taken care of DSR's but I have one pretty big question... How the heck do you guys manage to put the DSR 12's on speaker stands without having any side handles? It's not a huge deal as I usually have help with setting up the PA but the last thing I need is someone not being able to get a decent hold on the cabinet and getting whacked in the head. I'm half tempted to install at least one low profile fender amp style handle on each cabinet just so I have a bit more to hold on to when I'm lifting them so they don't get away from me.

That was one of our complaints with the DSR112 … side handles make so much sense.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »

I'm half tempted to install at least one low profile fender amp style handle on each cabinet just so I have a bit more to hold on to when I'm lifting them so they don't get away from me.

That is what I did.  I took the grill and woofer out so I could put T-nuts inside the cabinet.  Seems to work pretty well but I  still try not to use those handles to pick up the speaker.

P.S. Be careful if you resort to the method of putting the tripod on the ground, inserting the speaker pole cup, then tilting the tripod up to vertical. The pole cups are plastic and will break, at least one of mine did, if you don't support the speaker on the way up.  Sort of takes 2 people.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

John Dowden

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »

That is what I did.  I took the grill and woofer out so I could put T-nuts inside the cabinet.  Seems to work pretty well but I  still try not to use those handles to pick up the speaker.

P.S. Be careful if you resort to the method of putting the tripod on the ground, inserting the speaker pole cup, then tilting the tripod up to vertical. The pole cups are plastic and will break, at least one of mine did, if you don't support the speaker on the way up.  Sort of takes 2 people.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get into them today and see what I'm working with. Not sure how thick the cabinet is on the sides but they certainly seem pretty robustly made. That's a good tip about lifting the speaker up from the ground as that was what I was considering after thinking about the hazards of trying to lift them up on my own.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 03:09:24 PM »

My plan, once regular gigs start happening again out here, is to relegate the DSR112's to monitor duty and purchase DZR12's to use as mains. I find the DSR112's harder for a single person to safely place on poles than some larger and heavier speakers that have proper handles.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 08:42:54 PM »

First, it is a total PITA that Yamaha did not put side handles on the DSR112.  This is how I do it.

1)  I use a QSC pole on top of a PRX618XLF which puts the bottom of the pole at around 5 feet something (I am 6 ft and the bottom of the speaker sits around my chest).  This isn't a really high lift, and arguably, the tops should be a bit higher than this.

2)  I hold the top handle and swing the speaker up to a vertical position at shoulder level and put my other hand under the speaker.

3) I tilt the speaker onto the cup and it usually falls down into place.  If I miss the hole, it doesn't and I have to move it around or try again.

If my poles were higher, this wouldn't work.  It is my understanding that they make poles that you can adjust low, put the speaker on it, then adjust up.  That would be my vote unless you can get lower riding speaker poles like I have and can easily handle 47lbs on one arm.

On the positive side, they are very good sounding speakers ;)

Dan Whitney

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 09:40:07 PM »

I use the Ultimate Support gas operated stands.  I set the stand at the lowest height setting when mounting the speaker.  After they are mounted I set the desired height.  The gas lift system easily raises them to the desired height. 
I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 09:45:11 PM »

Be careful if you resort to the method of putting the tripod on the ground, inserting the speaker pole cup, then tilting the tripod up to vertical.
The techs in my neck of the woods call the above the Iwo Jima method.
Usually a two-man job.
All of my cabs have metal pole cups but I still support the high-cab on the way up'n down.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:51:18 PM by Mike Monte »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 09:48:02 PM »

I use the Ultimate Support gas operated stands.  I set the stand at the lowest height setting when mounting the speaker.  After they are mounted I set the desired height.  The gas lift system easily raises them to the desired height.

I only use gas assist these days in tripods but the gas assist poles all seem to start pretty high - and its made even worse if using with a taller sub.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »

The techs in my neck of the woods call the above the Iwo Jima method.
Usually a two-man job.
All of my cabs have metal pole cups but I still support the high-cab on the way up'n down.
If you don't, the leverage the speaker has on the pole cup and it's screws is pretty high.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »

I only use gas assist these days in tripods but the gas assist poles all seem to start pretty high - and its made even worse if using with a taller sub.

I stand on the sub to put the speaker on a tripod next to it.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

John Dowden

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »

Just thought I'd update that I finally got around to adding some handles to my DSR's. Ended up going with some spring loaded handles since they seemed to be the least invasive of the options I considered. The storm down here in Louisiana messed up my gig schedule but I finally managed to use them on two gigs this past week and they are so much easier to mount on speaker stands now. I played around with the placement and even though it seems a bit low I actually preferred having the handles at that height because it feels even more secure putting them on the speaker stand at that level.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »

Just thought I'd update that I finally got around to adding some handles to my DSR's. Ended up going with some spring loaded handles since they seemed to be the least invasive of the options I considered. The storm down here in Louisiana messed up my gig schedule but I finally managed to use them on two gigs this past week and they are so much easier to mount on speaker stands now. I played around with the placement and even though it seems a bit low I actually preferred having the handles at that height because it feels even more secure putting them on the speaker stand at that level.

It's a good addition and far less invasive than some other options but might still void your warranty if you are still inside 7 years...I wanted to do something similar to  mine but this aspect put me off as I still had half my warranty length left.
If you needed to make a claim for repair or replacement I suppose you could remove the handles and fill and paint .....tough to hide though.

Mal Brown

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 02:50:44 PM »

Did you open the box and use a piece of backing material ?  through bolt ? or screw into the wood directly ?

I'm planning on doing the same.  1 side only.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Dowden

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »

It's a good addition and far less invasive than some other options but might still void your warranty if you are still inside 7 years...I wanted to do something similar to  mine but this aspect put me off as I still had half my warranty length left.
If you needed to make a claim for repair or replacement I suppose you could remove the handles and fill and paint .....tough to hide though.

They're outside their warranty period and I'm the second owner. If they were new or still within their warranty I doubt I would have risked it.

John Dowden

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2021, 04:36:14 PM »

Did you open the box and use a piece of backing material ?  through bolt ? or screw into the wood directly ?

I'm planning on doing the same.  1 side only.

Through bolts with nuts, some locktite, and oversized washers on the inside. The particle board the cabinets are made from is some pretty thick stuff. I used stainless bolts and nuts as those have a higher tensile strength than the zinc coated stuff and just spray painted the heads black.

If you really wanted to play it safe you could glue some 3 ply on the inside for maximum surface area but I don't see any issues arising from the way I did it.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »

Through bolts with nuts, some locktite, and oversized washers on the inside. The particle board the cabinets are made from is some pretty thick stuff. I used stainless bolts and nuts as those have a higher tensile strength than the zinc coated stuff and just spray painted the heads black.

If you really wanted to play it safe you could glue some 3 ply on the inside for maximum surface area but I don't see any issues arising from the way I did it.

oops sorry - wrong quote

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 05:27:42 PM »

They're outside their warranty period and I'm the second owner. If they were new or still within their warranty I doubt I would have risked it.
Aah - good to hear... they look in such good condition!!

Mal Brown

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 07:26:49 PM »

Cool.  I ordered some handles from Amazon and will upgrade a couple.  Thanks for the ideas !
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

James Paul

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 09:24:46 PM »

How the heck do you guys manage to put the DSR 12's on speaker stands without having any side handles?
my one person method for a DSR112 over DXS18/ Gator Pneumatic pole is lift and place standing DSR on top of DXS18, step up on a 3 step ladder, positioning one foot on ladder top step, other foot on top side of DXS, grab & lift right hand DSR via top handle with left hand assist under bottom of DSR onto pole.
Reverse order for removal.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 03:56:37 PM »

It's not really particle board, I haven't quite figured out what that crap is but it is god awful.  I have 4 pairs of DSR's, some bought off of people in this thread.  Ours our rental inventory and handled by sapiens just one step up from the silver back gorilla in the old Samsonite commercials.  Hit the corner right and that stuff just crumbles apart.  I would have used a backing late and t-nuts and in fact may do just what you did but I will take a router to the cabinet, doesn't bother me. 

If you ever have to fix a chipped corner, I build it up with fiberglass car body fill then sand it back in line with the cabinet.  We paint our cabinets and use a Sherwin Williams commercial boat paint that holds up nice over line-x or any other spray coating.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mal Brown

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 04:53:26 PM »

I added some 3/8's ply backer.  Used washer and lock washer and a keeper nut. Going to do the test drive on a band gig tonight.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Dowden

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2021, 02:21:04 AM »

It's not really particle board, I haven't quite figured out what that crap is but it is god awful.  I have 4 pairs of DSR's, some bought off of people in this thread.  Ours our rental inventory and handled by sapiens just one step up from the silver back gorilla in the old Samsonite commercials.  Hit the corner right and that stuff just crumbles apart.  I would have used a backing late and t-nuts and in fact may do just what you did but I will take a router to the cabinet, doesn't bother me. 

If you ever have to fix a chipped corner, I build it up with fiberglass car body fill then sand it back in line with the cabinet.  We paint our cabinets and use a Sherwin Williams commercial boat paint that holds up nice over line-x or any other spray coating.

When I bought the speakers the bottom front corners looked fine but when I got home and did a more thorough inspection I realized all but one of them was one good knock away from crumbling so I went ahead and ordered some decently rated paint that I found online that a lot of people use for speaker cabs, grabbed a beater chisel and pretty much broke out all the corners till I was out of the worst of it, used some pretty toxic wood hardener that does wonders for punky wood, and then reformed the corners with some epoxy with binder mixed in. Definitely overkill but I didn't want to have to deal with that again. Also got some thicker feet so the cabinets aren't 1/8th of an inch off the ground which I think is what caused the corners to become damaged.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2021, 02:21:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.