ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Soundboard Live Stream Help  (Read 2886 times)

Kres Lovric

Church Soundboard Live Stream Help
« on: August 22, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »

Good Afternoon,

I run my church's soundboard and i am new to doing this and need some guidance. We are live streaming every Sunday morning through youtube but not all of the instruments are coming through. The keyboard, lead vocal, backup vocals all come through clear and loud. the Drums are faint, the guitar cannot be heard. The sound in the church is perfect but its sounds totally different online. Could this be a physical issue like with one of the cables or snakes or is this a software issue with a setting in the main board?

thank you

Kres

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Church Soundboard Live Stream Help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 03:36:25 PM »

Good Afternoon,

I run my church's soundboard and i am new to doing this and need some guidance. We are live streaming every Sunday morning through youtube but not all of the instruments are coming through. The keyboard, lead vocal, backup vocals all come through clear and loud. the Drums are faint, the guitar cannot be heard. The sound in the church is perfect but its sounds totally different online. Could this be a physical issue like with one of the cables or snakes or is this a software issue with a setting in the main board?

thank you

Kres

Hey Kres, what you’re running into is the effect that the acoustic product of a given instrument has on the room mix.  Your drums and guitar are probably loud enough on their own that they need minimal (if any) reinforcement in the room.  When you listen to the same mix in a different space you then hear everything that is missing.

I’m assuming that the sources are coming into your console fine.

There’s a few ways to address this but it may depend on your audio console and how hard you’re push it it now.  For my church we have an x32 and I feed the broadcast mix off of a matrix.  That matrix is fed by a speakers, playback, and band aux..  The auxes are all postfader sends so that I can build a mix for the streams in my headphones and then as I adjust the room mix the stream mix just follows right along.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 06:26:39 PM »

As Erik said your room mix is balanced referenced to the volume of the drum kit, guitar amp ect. directly in the room.

Do forget the volume that stage wedges add to the sound of the room, that is if your using wedges.

You need to create a separate mix for the live stream, what mixer do you have? Analog or digital the concept is the same provided you have an open aux/mix to work with.

Mute the PA system and hear how much volume is coming off the stage into the room.

Also you may want to start looking at ways to reduce the stage volume.

How big is the room?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 12:41:28 AM »

A recording off the board (or a livestream mix) is like a mirror for your mix. I would suggest recording the rehearsal then take a listen to that recording and adjust accordingly.

Everything that is too loud from the stage (drums, guitars, etc.) will not be very "loud" in the board mix. Things that don't have amps on stage (keys, acoustics, vocals) will be loud in the board mix. It's the opposite of what is happening in the room.

The best way to fix this is to create a whole new seperate mix just for livestream in which you can put equal amounts of everything in that mix. Of course you won't be able to tell what this sounds like very well while you are mixing the house, so it's a big comprimise.

What kind of console are you using? Are you running monitors or in-ears? Are those monitors fed from the same console thats doing the house and livestream?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

BrianSimmons

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 10:15:57 PM »

As everyone has suggested, this is a pretty common issue because you have sound in the room other than from the main L&R sends.  It could be accoustic instruments on stage (like your drums) are so loud that you don't really have to reinforce them by sending a lot of their volume through the L&R sends.  It could be other speakers on stage (amps or monitor wedges) that include instruments/singers so much that again you don't end up sending very much through the L&R sends.

As suggested, it is best if you can set up a mix/buss that is used only for the stream.  Best practice is to have someone (other than the FOH engineer) monitoring and mixing that buss, but that may not be possible in your church.

If it is not possible, the next best thing is to set up that buss with all the individual inputs set for "Post Fade" sends.  This means that any change by the FOH engineer with be reflective in the broadcast.  If no one is monitoring the broadcast mix, this is better than a "Prefade" send because if something is suddenly too loud in the house suddenly, it is probably suddenly too loud in the broadcast too.  By having the sends set to Post Fader, any changes made during the service will also occur in the broadcast.

The one thing you have to do to make this work is taking time (probably during the rehearsal) to set the overall levels in the broadcast mix.  You say that some elements are too soft in the broadcast mix (like drums and guitar).  You will want to turn those sends up higher in the broadcast mix than the other inputs so that you get a decent overall mix.  Then if the guitarist rips a solo at 15db louder and the FOH engineer turns them down by 12db, it will also turn the broadcast mix down by 12db.  But it still keeps the overall ratio set during rehearsal. (If the broadcast buss has it's guitar sends set to +5db while the FOH mix has the guitar set at -10db, a 3db change by the FOH engineer changes both the FOH and broadcast mix by 3db, but from their respective level they started at.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 11:48:45 PM »

What they said about stage volume. If it's loud from stage it will be quiet in the main mix.

One method I use is to make the main mix my broadcast mix and do the in-person mix from a post-fade aux send. I get the broadcast mix right on the headphones then use the aux mix to let me lower drums, amps and the grand piano as needed for the room (usually all the way down). I can fine tune the mix via the faders, turning individual voices up or down as needed.

Another option is to use bus assignments to create a mix-minus for the room and a complete mix for broadcast. For example, make the 7-8 bus the broadcast mix with everything in it. Put the vocals in 1-2 and the loud stuff in 3-4. Then you can pull the 3-4 bus down as needed in the room. Keep the 7-8 bus soloed on the headphones so you can periodically check it. Once again, you can fine tune things like harmony balance via faders and it will be reflected in the room and in the broadcast mix.

Michael Morse

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:24 AM »

We have the same issue at our church. Even with good headphones it's hard to hear the streaming mix when you're in the same room with the main mix.  It would probably help if you shared a lot more, like what mixer you are using (the terminology is different with different mixers) and how you are getting the sound to the live stream. It's not even clear from your post that the stream sound is going through your mixer at all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.