Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Gear hoarders moment in the sun

(1/1)

Riley Casey:
I've been contacted by a props person for a movie production and I'm throwing this out to those who may have a few of these hanging from the ceiling of their warehouse. Large circular reentrant horns ( perhaps Atlas ) of the type used at the original 1963 March on Washington. Their level of interest in accuracy is such that they really want the multi driver throat versions as seen in the picture. If you have something you want to rent out and can get to the DC area next month PM me and I'll send the contact info.  If you have the horns I'd imagine they can fab the extension throats and drivers.

Steve-White:
Blues Brothers horns.

Tim McCulloch:
Bill Hanley is living in Mass. these days.  He and his brother are still in biz and may have a barn full of old stuff.

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on August 19, 2021, 08:21:59 PM ---I've been contacted by a props person for a movie production and I'm throwing this out to those who may have a few of these hanging from the ceiling of their warehouse. Large circular reentrant horns ( perhaps Atlas ) of the type used at the original 1963 March on Washington. Their level of interest in accuracy is such that they really want the multi driver throat versions as seen in the picture. If you have something you want to rent out and can get to the DC area next month PM me and I'll send the contact info.  If you have the horns I'd imagine they can fab the extension throats and drivers.

--- End quote ---
Riley,

The horns you depicted are straight, not folded (re-entrant).

I'd never seen that level of detail in the usual 1963 March on Washington, so had previously assumed they were single driver re-entrant horns.
Interesting that the quad manifold is pointing down, and the dual pointing "long".

They look like RCA MI-6311 horns and RCA drivers, though Atlas may have made something similar, as did the British VitaVox.

Page 14 of the 1948 RCA catalog confirms that RCA did make multiple throat models:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/RCA/RCA-Sound-Products-1948.pdf

You might check if RCI systems (or Jay Kingery) still has those old horns.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=145766.msg1624596#msg1624596

Art

Keith Broughton:
With all the DSP and amp power these days, we forget just how effective these types of horns were for voice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version