Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

What are your thoughts or experience running at 2 ohms?

<< < (4/4)

Tim Weaver:
Have used rigs running PLX at 2ohm. When I convinced them to buy more amps jaws were dropping because the difference is not at all subtle.

All things being equal, if you insist on running amps at 2ohms the PLX is one of the worst possible choices to do it with. It just doesn't have the grunt to do it well.

iTech's and Macrotech-i's do 2ohm loads reasonably well. As do a number of other "D" amps out there that I don't have a lot of experience with. Unfortunately all the amps that do it well are also expensive.

So you have the choice. Buy the expensive amps and run at 2ohms per channel and have no backup plan, Or buy double the amount of PLX's and run at a happy 4ohms per channel, and if you have a failure you have the choice to run one or more amp at 2 ohm to get through the gig.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on September 28, 2021, 12:51:30 AM ---Have used rigs running PLX at 2ohm. When I convinced them to buy more amps jaws were dropping because the difference is not at all subtle.

All things being equal, if you insist on running amps at 2ohms the PLX is one of the worst possible choices to do it with. It just doesn't have the grunt to do it well.

iTech's and Macrotech-i's do 2ohm loads reasonably well. As do a number of other "D" amps out there that I don't have a lot of experience with. Unfortunately all the amps that do it well are also expensive.

So you have the choice. Buy the expensive amps and run at 2ohms per channel and have no backup plan, Or buy double the amount of PLX's and run at a happy 4ohms per channel, and if you have a failure you have the choice to run one or more amp at 2 ohm to get through the gig.

--- End quote ---

PL2's do OK though.  I haven't tried PL3's.  I have PL236's running 4 ohms bridged (effectively 2 ohms) but I have 4 of them if I lose one the show goes on.  I am using them on STX828S's 

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on September 28, 2021, 03:26:21 AM ---
PL2's do OK though.  I haven't tried PL3's.  I have PL236's running 4 ohms bridged (effectively 2 ohms) but I have 4 of them if I lose one the show goes on.  I am using them on STX828S's

--- End quote ---

It's a Pro amp compared to a Pro-sumer amp though. Much better power supply and the cost new was quite a bit more. Maybe double? I don't know what either of them cost when new.....

mike kunz:

--- Quote from: Brad Gibson on August 18, 2021, 06:28:31 PM ---I have several QSC PLX2 3602 amps and I am considering a new speaker system that will require me to run them at 2 ohms per channel.  What are your thoughts or experience running at 2 ohms?

--- End quote ---

I have been running Subs at 2 ohms for many years with no issues . I had plx3402 for a while and now I have the Pl380 . They were powering EV MTL 4 .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version