Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

What are your thoughts or experience running at 2 ohms?

(1/4) > >>

Brad Gibson:
I have several QSC PLX2 3602 amps and I am considering a new speaker system that will require me to run them at 2 ohms per channel.  What are your thoughts or experience running at 2 ohms?

John Roberts {JR}:
My general advice is not to do this for normal operation, but it is OK to do this in case of emergency when say an amp fails and the show must go on.

JR

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Brad Gibson on August 18, 2021, 06:28:31 PM ---I have several QSC PLX2 3602 amps and I am considering a new speaker system that will require me to run them at 2 ohms per channel.  What are your thoughts or experience running at 2 ohms?

--- End quote ---

PLX sucks at 2ohms.

I'd say "2 ohms" is relative. My subs (TH118) are 4ohms 'nominal' they have a dip at 3ohms.
I run 2 in parallel on a DNA20K4 or PLD4.5 Technically the amp should see 1.5ohms or 2ohms...

I rarely see less than 4 ohms (at any freq) even with both paralleled. Why? Power compression/voice coil heating.

---

You said 'speakers' nominal impedance means very little. It's just so that the MFG don't have to answer questions like "what amp do I use" (Ivan speaks lots about this issue when DSL used more granular impedance).

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Brad Gibson on August 18, 2021, 06:28:31 PM ---I have several QSC PLX2 3602 amps and I am considering a new speaker system that will require me to run them at 2 ohms per channel.  What are your thoughts or experience running at 2 ohms?

--- End quote ---
Used PLX amps, and for that matter, pretty much any class H amp design, are pretty cheap these days.  Why not just get more amps? 

Steve-White:
Brad - refer to post's #2, #3 & #4.  Never setup the baseline in any part of any system to the extreme limits of performance.

There are probably amps out there that can survive driving 2 ohm loads - there are more amps out there that will not.

Experience says don't do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version