ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bright White PAR 38 bulb suggestions.  (Read 2058 times)

Rick Dennis

Bright White PAR 38 bulb suggestions.
« on: August 18, 2021, 12:02:43 PM »

Simple question.
I need the brightest possible bulbs that I can find for PAR 38 cans. Preferably, LED.

These lights will only be fired on occasion, on momentary switches. The purpose is for impact . Something comparable to Lightning strikes. They won't be on long enough to get hot. In fact they may only be on for 1 second - a couple times an hour. Not looking for blinding light, just something that stands out as huge, over the other Chauvet Par 64 lights on stage.

I'm sure I could go to a Walmart and experiment in buying bulbs, but I figured I would ask here before spending experimental cash. Thanks.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Bright White PAR 38 bulb suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 01:19:41 PM »

Simple question.
I need the brightest possible bulbs that I can find for PAR 38 cans. Preferably, LED.

These lights will only be fired on occasion, on momentary switches. The purpose is for impact . Something comparable to Lightning strikes. They won't be on long enough to get hot. In fact they may only be on for 1 second - a couple times an hour. Not looking for blinding light, just something that stands out as huge, over the other Chauvet Par 64 lights on stage.

I'm sure I could go to a Walmart and experiment in buying bulbs, but I figured I would ask here before spending experimental cash. Thanks.
I don't think you are going to find anything bright that will fit in your par cans.
To get that bright, you might look at an LED work light.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »

...The purpose is for impact . Something comparable to Lightning strikes...just something that stands out as huge, over the other Chauvet Par 64 lights on stage.

Hi Rick, this is an application for a strobe light or possibly a blinder - not a Par 38.  The Martin Atomic LED and Clay Paky Stormy both stand out as suitable LED options (though not particularly cheap).  The original xenon Martin Atomics are selling for pennies on the dollar these days, so if you have the power for one it's by far your most cost effective option.  Hope this helps!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 03:17:41 PM »

Hi Rick, this is an application for a strobe light or possibly a blinder - not a Par 38.  The Martin Atomic LED and Clay Paky Stormy both stand out as suitable LED options (though not particularly cheap).  The original xenon Martin Atomics are selling for pennies on the dollar these days, so if you have the power for one it's by far your most cost effective option.  Hope this helps!
+1   Also Chauvet and ADJ have them.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 04:07:07 PM »

We used to use "photoflood" lamps for this.
Scott Hofmann

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »

The "old style" audience blinders used PAR 36 28V 650 watt aircraft landing lights wired in banks of four in series so they work on 120V.  They have a 25 hour rated life.  They will not screw into a Par 38 fixture but I have seen them "adapted" to other fixtures, and even into an upright bass.  They are very bright, but draw a lot of current very quickly.  There are LED replacements for these lamps.  I would have real questions about how the get 28V DC to them, but it might be worth looking into.  There are several LED "blinders" available as well as the strobes that were already mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:07:08 PM by Don T. Williams »

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »

Simple question.

These ones are quite bright and white -only 5000K but still whiter than most.  They don't seem to have much switch-on lag either, but I've never tried to simulate lighting with them either!

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-bulbs/led-light-bulbs/feit-electric-325w-equivalent-par38-daylight-led-light-bulb/ppar38-5000-led/p-1550302367782-c-7482.htm?tid=-3099645338663798640&ipos=1
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.