ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Admin Please Delete This Post. Info is resolved. Thank You.  (Read 3202 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: Anyone have any suggestions on setting up Sound for this Gym Space?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »

Firstly, I totally hear you, no pun intended, on the 120dB thing.  Again, I'm not very in touch with the AV world, and a quick google of dB reference levels showed a chart which said 120dB was the sound of a concert/live symphony or something. So that's where the 120dB came from...it was prob way off.  If 110dB is the average "live club rock loud" ..well yeah, awesome, appreciate the info on that. That's what we want.

For reference on your volume; I will give you one mix engineers opinion.

Personally earplugs go in at about 96dB. When I am mixing rock music I am typically running things at about 90-94dbA Slow Peak/101-105 dBC Slow Peak.

That volume feels pretty loud to me; granted the "SPL preservation society" would probably state that is quiet...  ;D ;D

Last few large concerts I attended (not mixing) things were right about 100dBA.

How deep are the pockets....well, I don't know exactly, budgeting so many things to get this space going.

Question?  What kind of speakers are we talking then?  Like type/brand/model, that makes more sense than PA speakers? 

And yeah, certainly figured I might be talking to a company for this. 

To the point online reviews probably won't help you out for a few reasons:

1. The space matters: What speaker or type of speaker is really dependent on your space. Even with a high quality product what is a  great solution for one room, might be a horrid solution for another. For an example play some music with your cell phone speaker: how does it sound in free space? vs cupped in your hand? vs against a table?

2. Dealer: Most higher end products/solutions (what you are looking for) are not sold at Guitar Center; as the manufacturer wants to make sure they are properly deployed/processed.

3. Price (Part 1): Most higher end products/solutions (what you are looking for) probably don't have a readily available public list price.

3. Price (Part 2): Speakers are the "sexy" part of installation; cost wise they can be the tip of the iceberg; there are a lot of things that cost money, but are in the background of the system. For example if you want some nice touch screen wall plates to control things those don't come cheap. Against how big that iceberg is below the surface is dependent on the complexity of the install and your needs.

A non-exhaustive list of some brands a company might recommend would be:

D&B
Danley Sound Labs
Fulcrum
JBL (note they have many product lines; some are rubbish, and some are great)
Martin
Meyer Sound
Nexo
L'Acoustics

A better brand will have a range of products/options for your needed SPL requirements. To explain there should be some product parity:

Example: The large speaker (for your main area) and the small fill speaker(s) (closer to your audience) will provide the same tonality, and SPL level at the listener plane.

An installer will sell certain brands; there are many good solutions.

For this install you will probably stay with a single speaker brand or two. Within that brand you will probably stay within a product line; and the specific space should dictate speaker model.

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Scott Riley

Please Delete this Post/Thread. Thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 10:56:57 PM »

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 04:13:09 AM by Scott Riley »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Anyone have any suggestions on setting up Sound for this Gym Space?
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 03:54:42 AM »

Scott I think you need to completely rethink your base ideas behind audio for this space.  I’m speaking here as a climber and a gym climber for a couple decades as well as an audio professional.  For your day to day usage you need a background music (bgm) system that can do paging.  You haven’t aid what style climbing gym this is though with the dimensions you gave I’m gonna guess bouldering.  Quite frankly if you’re running bgm at more than a background level during general operating hours you’re just going to piss people off.  It’s a climbing gym not a dance club.

If you really do need concert level audio for comps then you hire that in for just the event.  Unless you’re doing weekly comps it’s a stupid waste of money to build a bgm system that capable.  That said, you need to think hard about that level at comps too.  People are there to compete or watch the show.  A little hype music at times is good, a full blown dance party dj setup during the comp is going to suck.

Research the market, visit leading facilities of your type in your region and possibly nationally too.  See what you like and build that.  If there’s a place out there doing what you’ve described please let me know so that I can never go there.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Please Delete this Post/Thread. Thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »

Thanks

If you are no longer interested in following this topic, feel free to ignore it. It is not the nature of Internet forums to delete discussions because they are no longer relevant to one member.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Please Delete this Post/Thread. Thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.