ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Eclipse Audio FIR Designer  (Read 11049 times)

Kent Clasen

Re: Eclipse Audio FIR Designer
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »

I use RePhase, which is free. No automatic stuff, and the interface isn't amazing, but it's worked well for me.

Chris

Hi Chris-

I just downloaded RePhase. Do you use SMAART? I can't figure out how to import a measurement file into RePhase. I saved the SMAART measurement as an ASCII file but RP says it is not the correct format.

I tried the trial of FIR Creator and it opens the SMAART file just fine.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »

Hi Kent,

Thanks for giving it a try. I use REW.

My workflow is:
- Take measurement in REW
- Adjust vertical scale so it's nominal 0dB, because that fits RePhase nicely.
- Export the single measurement as a CSV file (comma spaced variable, it's in the export settings), with the file extension .csv
- Import into RePhase (need to change the drop-down to "all files" instead of .txt/.frd)

CSV seems to work well across platforms, so I'd try that with Smaart.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »

CSV seems to work well across platforms, so I'd try that with Smaart.

Smaart import / export used to be a grab bag of CSV and TSV (tab separated) in various parts of the program. As of v8.5 everything is tab separated. Some parts of the world use a comma in place of a decimal in measurement data which causes all hell to break loose if you then try to import or export that data as a CSV.
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 02:02:28 AM »

Good point about the decimals!
Just tried REW with a tab delimiter. Saved as a .txt file and RePhase picked it up without issue.

I'll swap over to tab separated from here. Thanks!

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2022, 08:56:40 AM »

Went back and redid my measurements yesterday.
Tried locating acoustic center for all pass bands and ended up with the horn driver over my rotating turntable center (roughly).

Also time-aligned the passbands first before measured them. This gave a very consistent phase response (as in roughly the same change) in all pass bands when I rotated it. Loaded the measurements into FIR Designer, the processed response looks more even now across the horisontal plane.

Next step is buing the software and measure/listen to the actual response.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 03:42:58 PM »

Bought the software, did a couple of different FIRs for the speaker I'm testing and its sounds and measures pretty promising.
But, the LF section is a bit low in gain. Not a big issue, I can run it hotter in Armonia, but I noticed that there is an option for boosting the whole FIR filter in level before exporting it from Fir Designer.
Is there any reason not to boost it before export?
Could you clip the filter in any way?

We're taking about roughly 6dB.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2022, 09:01:46 AM »

I made an FIR file that's just a 6dB boost across the range. Armonia+ seemed happy with it.

I'm not an expert on DSP (just someone that likes messing with it), but I'd guess it gets lumped into the overall processing (including the output level fader). With 32-bit floating point processing, I don't think you're in any danger of digital clipping.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 08:43:24 AM »

Bought the software, did a couple of different FIRs for the speaker I'm testing and its sounds and measures pretty promising.
But, the LF section is a bit low in gain. Not a big issue, I can run it hotter in Armonia, but I noticed that there is an option for boosting the whole FIR filter in level before exporting it from Fir Designer.
Is there any reason not to boost it before export?
Could you clip the filter in any way?

We're taking about roughly 6dB.

FirD has a warning pop up on the export page if the FIR file has digital clipping.
As shown below, but your version of FirD might have the warning in some place different on the screen (mine is an older version).

Usually, it's only HF/VHF files that are ever in any danger of digital clipping, with their taller impulse responses.
A sub for example, with its very short impulse response can take the maximum allowed output boost (30dB in my version), and still not be close to clipping.

I often adjust output gains on export to level match across driver sections , so i don't have to adjust gains elsewhere, like in the amp or processor.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 05:52:28 AM »

FirD has a warning pop up on the export page if the FIR file has digital clipping.
As shown below, but your version of FirD might have the warning in some place different on the screen (mine is an older version).

Usually, it's only HF/VHF files that are ever in any danger of digital clipping, with their taller impulse responses.
A sub for example, with its very short impulse response can take the maximum allowed output boost (30dB in my version), and still not be close to clipping.

I often adjust output gains on export to level match across driver sections , so i don't have to adjust gains elsewhere, like in the amp or processor.

Thanks.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, adjust output gain on export to keep the gains in Armonia at a fixed dB.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 03:16:33 AM »

Another thing that surfaced here.

I've tried a few things, and to my ears it seems like using IIR filters to adjust the response of each frequency band sounds better than using auto mag, even if the result looks similar in supplementary responses. My best sounding preset to date is done using IIR to correct as much as possible before I apply a LF/HF linear phase crossover, a couple of manual linear phase eq to adjust summation and a couple of manual filters to adjust the phase response as needed.
I then apply a tiny bit of auto mag/phase to the HF, leaving the LF manually adjusted.

Does this sound familiar to others using FIR Designer?
I still have a couple of things I need to work out, there is a bit of "jumpyness" in the horn, some part of the spectrum stick out a bit om some recordings. I suspect I might have overcorrected a bit on the HF, going to do a A/B with a version without auto mag correction.
BTW that is an andvantage of sticking to IIR filters, it's really easy to fine-tune a filter directly in the DSP, no need to load a new FIR filter on the outputs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 03:16:33 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.