Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Eclipse Audio FIR Designer

<< < (2/8) > >>

Chris Grimshaw:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on August 14, 2021, 05:30:44 AM ---Can RePhase export to Powersoft?
I looked into it a couple of years ago and at that point I couldn't figure out how to export in a format Armonia accepted.

--- End quote ---

Yep!

Tell RePhase to export as a .csv, and Armonia+ can import that. Ensure 48kHz sample rate, and maximum of 2048 taps.

I did just try to import a 5000-tap filter, but Armonia+ rejected the file.

RePhase lets you take manual control of a lot of stuff (windowing, impulse centering), which can be useful for advanced users.

Chris

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on August 15, 2021, 08:54:09 AM ---Yep!

Tell RePhase to export as a .csv, and Armonia+ can import that. Ensure 48kHz sample rate, and maximum of 2048 taps.

I did just try to import a 5000-tap filter, but Armonia+ rejected the file.

RePhase lets you take manual control of a lot of stuff (windowing, impulse centering), which can be useful for advanced users.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Cool Chris, i was waiting to see what you'd say.   Wasn't sure if Armonia needed some funky custom stuff done to a csv file.  Glad it doesn't.
(I hate it when manufacturers use a proprietary format, like Linea Research and their sfi files for example ....)

RePhase is awesome donateware. Best way to get into FIR imo. The full manual implementation is a heck of a "learn from the ground up tool".  And an easy one to use.

Between FirD for automated work, and rePhase for manual, i don't know what else one would ever need for building FIR files.

Timo Beckman:
Hi Helge

Yes i have some experience with FIR Designer.

For 3 way stuff i would recommend going for the M version. You only have to take a onax measurement and a bunch of of-axis traces and load those n to the supplementary response window to see what the corrections to to on axis cause to the other mic positions.

I try to stay away from the auto mag/phase stuff specially using the high/none smoothing settings....Looks good on the onax mic but can mess up al other positions.
Loading the FIR to powersoft is no problem since it's 1 of the many export formats.

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Timo Beckman on August 15, 2021, 03:57:45 PM ---Hi Helge

Yes i have some experience with FIR Designer.

For 3 way stuff i would recommend going for the M version. You only have to take a onax measurement and a bunch of of-axis traces and load those n to the supplementary response window to see what the corrections to to on axis cause to the other mic positions.

I try to stay away from the auto mag/phase stuff specially using the high/none smoothing settings....Looks good on the onax mic but can mess up al other positions.
Loading the FIR to powersoft is no problem since it's 1 of the many export formats.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Timo.
To be honest, I've not used too many off-axis measurements so far in my speaker projects, might be room for improvements.
My usual mode is placing a mic on axis, one at the -6dB point for the horn and 1 or 2 in-between.

How many positions do you aim for and how far off from on-axis do you go for a 90 degree speaker?

Mark Wilkinson:
Hi Timo, different strokes  :).......I'm a big user of FirD's auto mag/phase.
My process is to find the corrections that hold up for both on-axis and off-axis. (you know, true minimum phase response variations).

When i auto-correct on-ax on a driver-by-driver basis,  the majority of corrections made on-axis have held up well for off-axis too.
However, it's depended on the the quality of the speaker's acoustic design, and how well behaved the drivers were both for in-band smoothness and out-of-band room to work.
If any of those factors were marginal/crappy, auto results have been tough to make good off-axis.

I've tried to make good acoustic box designs using good drivers, so auto mag/phase has worked very well for me most of the time.

I generally take polars in 10 degree increments out to rated pattern and one more step beyond. When polars spaz out in particular frequency ranges, i just soften or drop correction in that range.  (which is why multiple bands auto mag/phase are needed).

If i wasn't going to use FirD's auto capability, I'm not sure why I'd purchase it.  I mean, if i'm going to do everything manually, I'd just stick with rePhase that is free.
But again, that's just me...

Oh, have you had a chance to compare the multiple mic predictions with actual measurements?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version