Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Eclipse Audio FIR Designer

(1/9) > >>

Helge A Bentsen:
Any experience with FIR Designer from Eclipse Audio?
https://eclipseaudio.com/fir-designer/

I want to write some custom FIR for a speaker using Powersoft amps. Tested the demo now, it's pretty easy to load a trace from Smaart and work on it, looks like FIR Designer can do all I need (and lot's more).
The plan is to do EQ, xover and some phase correction in a loudspeaker preset file for a 3-way speaker.

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on August 11, 2021, 06:19:54 PM ---Any experience with FIR Designer from Eclipse Audio?
https://eclipseaudio.com/fir-designer/

I want to write some custom FIR for a speaker using Powersoft amps. Tested the demo now, it's pretty easy to load a trace from Smaart and work on it, looks like FIR Designer can do all I need (and lot's more).
The plan is to do EQ, xover and some phase correction in a loudspeaker preset file for a 3-way speaker.

--- End quote ---

I've been using Fir Designer since the first version was released in 2016.  Just checked my PC, and found nearly 2000 FIR files I've built with it since then...yikes!
I import traces from Smaart (or REW & ARTA), and literally a few minutes later have a FIR file to check out. It's easy, fast, and accurate...it rocks.

On versions, the one-time purchase of 'FIR Designer' makes sense to me....maybe if I had (alot) more dough, i'd get one of the subscriptions.
I've needed unlimited windows due to the workflow habits I've developed, which 'FIR Designer' has.
For your 3-way, Creator EX would handle a 3-way fine, with its 4 window capacity. But you'd lose some important basic functionality like unlimited IIR eqs, unlimited Auto Mag & Phase bands, etc.

That gets to my only real complaint with the whole FirD product set...i can see differentiating the price of the versions due to multi-way support, advanced integration with  processors and amps, even with advanced features like Second View, and Wavelets, etc. 
But i think cutting out some basic functionality with 'count limitations' from the lower priced versions, is a mistake that precludes broader adoption in the marketplace.
(Sorry for the swerve, but i really like FirD, and would love to see more folks jump on it.)

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Mark Wilkinson on August 12, 2021, 09:10:42 AM ---That gets to my only real complaint with the whole FirD product set...i can see differentiating the price of the versions due to multi-way support, advanced integration with  processors and amps, even with advanced features like Second View, and Wavelets, etc. 
But i think cutting out some basic functionality with 'count limitations' from the lower priced versions, is a mistake that precludes broader adoption in the marketplace.
(Sorry for the swerve, but i really like FirD, and would love to see more folks jump on it.)

--- End quote ---

Whole heartedly agree!

I play around with the demo from time-to-time. And I'd buy the creator? (cheaper) version if it weren't for the arbitrary limitations.

The advanced features I don't need. But I do want it for a simple import/create-fir/export process...too bad.

Chris Grimshaw:
I use RePhase, which is free. No automatic stuff, and the interface isn't amazing, but it's worked well for me.

Chris

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on August 13, 2021, 06:37:55 PM ---I use RePhase, which is free. No automatic stuff, and the interface isn't amazing, but it's worked well for me.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Can RePhase export to Powersoft?
I looked into it a couple of years ago and at that point I couldn't figure out how to export in a format Armonia accepted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version