ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighter weight sub?  (Read 7191 times)

Greg Harwood

Re: Lighter weight sub?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »

This is interesting to me. I have the LS801pb's that for some reason my back is giving me grief about them... Did you have a chance to measure them with Smaart or similar? I've had the LS800's as well. Do the 212's kick as hard? That is one thing I can't seem to find in/around the LS801pb's price range but in a smaller/lighter package. Do you feel they hold up well when pushed. I've always felt the LS's are fine the few times I've had them starting to flash their clip lights.

Thanks for any information;
   Douglas R. Allen

As a side note a friend of mine has the Orbit Shifter and the spec's and output was to the speakers factory spec sheet when measured with smaart.  ;)

Hi, Douglas.  I never compared the LS801P to the 212Pro with Smaart as I don't have access to that.  Jeff has a link to the data-base review on his website that has some really good information regarding the 212Pro (keep in mind that the output was taken at 2 meters instead of 1 meter).  I had the LS801P for several years combining them with my DSR112 tops strictly used for live band work so I was fairly familiar with their sound and capabilities.  When I began using the 212Pro with the DSR112, I felt like the subs were pretty close to having similar output as the LS801P.  Maybe not a true 1:1, but close enough for the benefits.  The sound profile is different between the two subs, with the 212Pro sounding better (to me).....tighter, cleaner (if that makes sense).  The LS801P definitely has lots of presence to its thump where the 212Pro is tighter with maybe less distortion when things get loud (though not measured).  At 71lbs, by back thanks me.  Even though the LS801P has wheels, you have to stoop a bit to roll them around which can strain the back a bit (I bet the newer ES18P would be easier to manage since it's taller).  I typically put 2 212Pros on a roller cart and have no issues moving them around.  The 212Pro size is great too.  If you stack 2 of them together, the overall footprint is about like the LS801P.....so 4 subs (2 per side) would take up about the same floor space, yet provide more bass output.  Since the 212pro is not as tall, they go great in front of stages if you like to center cluster your subs.

I wish I had more time with both subs for comparison, but I sold my 801P's and had to give them up after only a short comparison.  I can tell you for sure that I like the 212Pro subs better....easier to move around, sound great, and a lot of output for the size.  I'd say they are about 90%-95% of the LS801P 1:1, but can't back that up with data.  I'm not sure if this was helpful, but I have nothing but high praise for the 212pro.

I read a quote from Jeff in one of the 212Pro review threads (I believe on this board) where Jeff states that the 212Pro keeps up with the Orbit Shifter from 60hz up....or something along those lines.  It really is a powerful little sub.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:57:11 AM by Greg Harwood »
Greg H.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 03:27:54 PM »

Has anyone used or auditioned the BassBoss BB15? Wondering how it compares with the JTR 212Pro.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »

After two gigs this weekend that required 17+ stairs, I’m considering some lighter subs.  I’m not as young as I used to be and I’m definitely feeling it in my back.  I’ve been using 2 Yorkville LS701p which weigh in at a measly 95lbs.  Any recommendations?  Should I just hire some strapping young lads to do the grunt work?  Thanks!

K-Array KMT18 18" Active Subwoofer
35-150Hz (-6db)
133db peak
59 lbs
18.5" X 19" X 24"
https://www.k-array.com/en/product/thunder-kmt18i/

Pictured are a pair of 18" K-Array subs below a Danley SM80

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 09:05:41 PM »

Has anyone used or auditioned the BassBoss BB15? Wondering how it compares with the JTR 212Pro.

2nd for looking at this model.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mal Brown

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »

I vote for strapping young lads  ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 12:46:26 PM »

Years back I built a pair of single 18's just for this one band that I did a lot of work with. For some reason this band did a lot of private parties in some rich guy's backyard and I wanted lightweight subs that were very efficient.

What I ended up with was the EV TL505 boxes in non-stepped down mode. I happened to have the EVM18b's kicking around so it made sense for me then.

I built these cabs based on the TL505 but modernized to use round ports and a truck bed liner'd finish. They looked nice actually. The comprimises I made were: They were efficient but didn't play very deep. They also were built out of a single layer of 3/4" birch ply and not very heavily braced. This made them both light and "stiff enough" for the 400 watts I would be throwing at them. They ended up being around 65 pounds each and I could handle them solo fairly easy.

If I didn't have the EVM18's laying around I would look for the most efficient Neo driver I could get and do the same if this situation comes up often enough. Just use the lightweight subs on these gigs and keep the Yorkvilles for everything else.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »

If I didn't have the EVM18's laying around I would look for the most efficient Neo driver I could get and do the same if this situation comes up often enough. Just use the lightweight subs on these gigs and keep the Yorkvilles for everything else.
You would also want to look for drivers that have a lot more than the  EVM18B's 3.3mm Xmax.

Given more power, doubling displacement adds 6dB output, 15+mm Xmax is common now, and some 18" are in the 50mm range!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2021, 11:44:54 PM »

You would also want to look for drivers that have a lot more than the  EVM18B's 3.3mm Xmax.

Given more power, doubling displacement adds 6dB output, 15+mm Xmax is common now, and some 18" are in the 50mm range!

For sure! If I were buying drivers there's plenty of great, lightweight drivers out there to make some decent small and fairly light subs. I had designed a dual Eminence Kappalite 3012LF that looked promising. Would have had a good amount of chooch and able to be carried in one hand.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »

For sure! If I were buying drivers there's plenty of great, lightweight drivers out there to make some decent small and fairly light subs. I had designed a dual Eminence Kappalite 3012LF that looked promising. Would have had a good amount of chooch and able to be carried in one hand.

I use a pair of 3012 lf's plus a 6" alpha mid in one of my bass rigs.  That is a great driver!  I aso built a couple of small lightweight subs using braced 12mm baltic birch using 3012lf's. One is in use other another local sound co as the bottom of their drum monitor with a co-ax 12 box on top.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »

I vote for strapping young lads  ;-)

So the beatings will continue?  ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.