ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR215 Hiss  (Read 983 times)

Jake Jerome

DSR215 Hiss
« on: August 04, 2021, 11:04:13 PM »

Just got a pair of 2nd hand Yamaha DSR215. There is an audible hiss peaking at 7.5khz from both speakers independent of the level knob setting. When I say audible, it is easily noticeable in an office environment about 8ft away with your head level to the tweeter. Is this normal/expected behavior?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: DSR215 Hiss
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 11:45:20 PM »

Yes this is typical behavour for the class D amplifier found in a most powered PA speaker these days, some manufacturers include a noise gate to minimize this issue but in general these are not designed to be studio monitors so it's not considered a big deal.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »

ome manufacturers include a noise gate to minimize this issue

Our JBL PRX712s go to sleep if playback is too low. Makes me crazy. I'd rather have the hiss.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Dan Whitney

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 10:05:51 AM »

Just got a pair of 2nd hand Yamaha DSR215. There is an audible hiss peaking at 7.5khz from both speakers independent of the level knob setting. When I say audible, it is easily noticeable in an office environment about 8ft away with your head level to the tweeter. Is this normal/expected behavior?

How are they setup? Are you running a mic straight into the speakers or are you going through a mixer?  Did you check to see if they are set at Mic or Line level?
I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

Jake Jerome

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »

How are they setup? Are you running a mic straight into the speakers or are you going through a mixer?  Did you check to see if they are set at Mic or Line level?

I've tried a couple of different line-level sources. The hiss persists through all of them including when there is nothing plugged in. I just tried pressing the mic button which makes the hiss louder and it increases with the level knob setting unlike when the button is depressed for line level.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:34:08 PM by Jake Jerome »

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »

To be clear, it is a constant hiss....not the bacon frying sound right? There is a fix for the later.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Jake Jerome

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 01:39:49 AM »

To be clear, it is a constant hiss....not the bacon frying sound right? There is a fix for the later.

It's not an intermittent popping/hissing, just a constant hiss. I used a smartphone spectrograph app to determine that it is a pretty narrow peak right at 7.5khz.
Perhaps since the speaker is capable of 138db SPL it is too much to ask that the noise floor be inaudible?
On the other hand, I would think that with a 24dbu input level, gain can't be higher than single digits; so maybe this is just inherent to the high power class D amp as someone previously stated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 01:39:49 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.