ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Are people stupid or is it me?  (Read 3280 times)

scottstephens

Are people stupid or is it me?
« on: August 03, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »

Hey All.

I am happy to report that I was called an ass wipe today because I wouldn't do an event for free.  Strangely enough, the guy who did it last year is unavailable this year.  I politely explained the business thing, the employee thing, the liability insurance thing and all that stuff. I was told "oh, we'll have people here to help". I asked if they would still be there and be sober at midnight and i told the woman who called that they would have sign waivers for any and all kinds of injuries from moving gear and that her org would have to pay for any damage to the gear from said "volunteers".

I could hear her head exploding over the phone.  "Blah, blah, blah, blah."

I then told her that I would do the event on the barter system, I would do her event for free and she could pay my workman's comp and liability insurance for the year. She was fine with that until she asked "how much?" 

I said a little over 2 grand.  "You blankety, blank blank blank".  Yeah, I want to work with her!!!

Here's to us ass wipes. Cheers.

Scott

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Are people stupid or is it me?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 03:02:17 PM »

Some fraction of the market are not worth the trouble even if they pay some nominal amount.

Don't expect them to see the world through your eyes and try to decline gracefully. Never a good idea to burn bridges unless in warfare to prevent retreat (read Sun Tzu).

Better luck next time

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 03:06:30 PM »

Yes, in general, people are stupid.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 03:16:18 PM »

Hey All.

I am happy to report that I was called an ass wipe today because I wouldn't do an event for free.  Strangely enough, the guy who did it last year is unavailable this year.  I politely explained the business thing, the employee thing, the liability insurance thing and all that stuff. I was told "oh, we'll have people here to help". I asked if they would still be there and be sober at midnight and i told the woman who called that they would have sign waivers for any and all kinds of injuries from moving gear and that her org would have to pay for any damage to the gear from said "volunteers".

I could hear her head exploding over the phone.  "Blah, blah, blah, blah."

I then told her that I would do the event on the barter system, I would do her event for free and she could pay my workman's comp and liability insurance for the year. She was fine with that until she asked "how much?" 

I said a little over 2 grand.  "You blankety, blank blank blank".  Yeah, I want to work with her!!!

Here's to us ass wipes. Cheers.

Scott
People really do think we do this for fun -just to play with the cool loudest "stereos" and that everywhere we go is one big fun party.

The value of the gear and cost of doing business is meaningless to them -They got "side-by-sides" Harleys, pontoons and 5th-wheel RV's that cost far more than our production gear.  To someone that plays weekend-warrior all summer with in excess of $500k worth of toys what's the big deal about bringing "your big speakerz and par-tay"?

As far as insurance, liability and business expenses, try telling that to someone that has just worked in a typical soul-sucking job as an employee all their lives right out of college.  It just does not compute!

Generally I have better luck dealing with other business owners, and if I have to deal with a big faceless organization and it's bureaucracy, at least get me the person who's drudgery involves cutting checks for their expenses.  They usually don't even blink when you mention liability insurance and employee costs.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »

George Carlin said...“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

He was definitely in that upper half.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »

George Carlin said...“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

He was definitely in that upper half.

Technically, what he's describing is the median, which in some cases could be the same as average depending on the distribution.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 05:43:33 PM »

Now just imagine how bad a day you'd be having if for some reason you had shown up to do this gig.

I can't think of a show I've done in forty years in which an unreasonable client up front didn't turn into a serious problem on site. After a while you just know when it's time to suggest a competitor you're not on good terms with and wish them a good day.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »

Now just imagine how bad a day you'd be having if for some reason you had shown up to do this gig.

I can't think of a show I've done in forty years in which an unreasonable client up front didn't turn into a serious problem on site. After a while you just know when it's time to suggest a competitor you're not on good terms with and wish them a good day.

Yeah I think I'd rather be an ass wipe than go through that.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »

Yup, there are always the ones that want free, or ridiculously low rates. Yeah, just because some other schmuck may have been willing to do it for nothing in the past doesn't impact my prices.  And yes, it's the schmucks doing it for cheap that makes it hard on us.  I hardly doubt that the port-o-john company has to deal with the weekender hobbyist.  While I don't envy the work that they have to do, it seems as though people don't complain anywhere near as much about the prices - which very easily can exceed any production budget!

It is crazy though that some people still think you can hire someone for a one-off event at a very specific time with a truck full of gear, yet offer to pay them less than they would make working the same number of hours at McDonalds.

Yeah, I've been told I'm way overpriced plenty of times. Yeah, there are some days I sit at home instead of taking the low bid, and I'm ok with that!
Brian Jojade

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 08:53:46 PM »

AW is an important job. Just think of the desirable attributes it calls for: dexterity, posture, dedication, patience, emotional intelligence and the all important 'gentle touch'. 

As far as people being stupid... I sometimes think about those bumper stickers that say "the more people I meet the more I like my dog".
Except for me, you can keep the dog too.   ;)

But in all honesty, I'm a stupid human as well. I hope that knowing that is half the battle.

Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 08:53:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.