ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial BT drop out  (Read 2047 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Radial BT drop out
« on: August 02, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »

This thread - https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,175865.0.html, reminded me of something I wanted to bring up but I didn't want to derail.

In september of 2020, I purchased the Radial BT box so I can run the break music wireless from FOH. Nice and seamless, first song dialed in on the ipod - fade down band and fade up music. It is a great box as are all radial products and it works 100% of the time at all but one venue we play.
It's really weird, so I can have dozens and dozens of folks (each one with a phone in their pocket or purse presumably) between me and the box with no issues yet at this one place, I get drop out beyond about 20 -25 feet EVERY single show. Ironically this is an outdoor show and I don't see why this is happening. No other wifi issues at this venue and no problems with mics or iems either - just the BT box. I always place the box up about 4ft on stage.
If I raise the iPod way above my head, it might work OK ... however, this venue has a raised stage ( so the BT box is up even higher) so in fact I would think that would benefit me.  A lot of the other shows don't have the elevation, yet the iPod doesn't need to be raised up to get connection anywhere else.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: Radial BT drop out
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 02:35:30 PM »

This thread - https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,175865.0.html, reminded me of something I wanted to bring up but I didn't want to derail.

In september of 2020, I purchased the Radial BT box so I can run the break music wireless from FOH. Nice and seamless, first song dialed in on the ipod - fade down band and fade up music. It is a great box as are all radial products and it works 100% of the time at all but one venue we play.
It's really weird, so I can have dozens and dozens of folks (each one with a phone in their pocket or purse presumably) between me and the box with no issues yet at this one place, I get drop out beyond about 20 -25 feet EVERY single show. Ironically this is an outdoor show and I don't see why this is happening. No other wifi issues at this venue and no problems with mics or iems either - just the BT box. I always place the box up about 4ft on stage.
If I raise the iPod way above my head, it might work OK ... however, this venue has a raised stage ( so the BT box is up even higher) so in fact I would think that would benefit me.  A lot of the other shows don't have the elevation, yet the iPod doesn't need to be raised up to get connection anywhere else.

Without measurement equipment and an operator capable of quantifying 2.4 GHz transmissions, all anyone can do is guess about invisible stuff.  But you can be sure that there is a source or multiple sources of interfering 2.4 GHz signals operating nearby.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 07:50:21 PM »

What version Radial BT receiver do you have? The original version...well it worked great till it didn't. Random drop outs, hard to reconnect to and it put out annoying beeps when it dropped connection.

I've heard the latest version is much better.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »

I know it's not an answer to your question, but if you're interested, I have (imho) a possibly better solution than simply bluetooth for wireless music... i.e. BT/WiFi streaming or remote controlled music playback. It's basically a purpose-built portable music player and streaming destination with pro audio outputs.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 11:25:20 PM »

What version Radial BT receiver do you have? The original version...well it worked great till it didn't. Random drop outs, hard to reconnect to and it put out annoying beeps when it dropped connection.

I've heard the latest version is much better.

Yes Mike I have version 2 and I agree with the general consensus that overall it is very good indeed.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 11:27:40 PM »

I know it's not an answer to your question, but if you're interested, I have (imho) a possibly better solution than simply bluetooth for wireless music... i.e. BT/WiFi streaming or remote controlled music playback. It's basically a purpose-built portable music player and streaming destination with pro audio outputs.
Hi Andy... I tried the Apple Airport Express 'airplay' system a few years ago but I got quite a bit of drop out. I am always looking to improve on my wireless music playback reliability.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 06:25:41 AM »

I've had more dropouts from bluetooth outdoors than indoors.
Could it be that bt transmission relies on reflections from the room, so when you remove the room and it's direct line of sight only, it has issues?
Just a thought, I have no in-dept knowledge about the bt protocol and could be totally wrong on this.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 06:17:35 PM »

Hi Andy... I tried the Apple Airport Express 'airplay' system a few years ago but I got quite a bit of drop out. I am always looking to improve on my wireless music playback reliability.
Computer wireless will NEVER be "reliable", just convenient. RF can be reliable but that's a whole different thing of course!

This thing is an RPI-based playback box. Can play from:
- Internal µSD card
- USB flash drive or hard drive
- Stream from Wired or Wireless network
- Stream from USB device (phone/tablet/computer)
- Receive from BT or Airplay
- Internet radio stations/Spotify, etc.

Outputs balanced audio or USB stream, can be hooked up to a monitor to see "what's playing"
Controlled via network or wifi on any browser (phone/tablet/computer)