ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small High Quality Sound System Recommendations  (Read 3490 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Small High Quality Sound System Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »

Because they sound like trash? 😂

The QSC 10.2's aren't bad. They're on-par with most of the other $700-$1k SOS boxes out there when used within their limits of course.
I really like the form factor of the QSC 10.2. The fit and finish is good. Handle placement is excellent. Weight is excellent. Built-in DSP with delay on those and other M.I. speakers can be quite helpful for small things like wedding gigs or corporate events where running individual drive lines is less convenient.

The OP doesn't state what is meant by "quality" other than "no cheap plastic".
Sound Quality? Build Quality? Reliability? Features?

I'd propose that plastic vs wood isn't nearly the most important consideration these days.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 02:43:24 PM »

Hello!

I currently use the JBL SRX 815p tops with 818sp subs and love the sound; however, I’m looking for something smaller for more intimate events. Currently, I just use the 815s without my subs but I would like to get a separate system with 10” tops and 12” subs.

Looking for super easy to carry, self-powered and NOT cheap plastic!

Thanks for your ideas.

Christopher

Hard to beat Yamaha from price/performance perspective.  Especially for your application.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 03:28:30 PM »

I'll 2nd Doug's comment about Yamaha - I'm a huge fan of the DSR/DZR series. I have a pair of DZR10s that I really like... a few weeks ago, I ran sound for a small outdoor event (backyard, about 50-60 people in attendance, 6-piece band) and used 2x DSR112 and 2x DZR10 as monitors.

The band (international group) RAVED about the DZR10s - they couldn't believe how full and natural they sounded given their small size. They had apparently played a larger club in Chicago the night before and said the DZR10 blew away what they had the night before. They wanted to buy their own and travel with them.

That said, those RCF and DBTechnologies options look stellar, too. I was running TT5A as mains and man, I love them but they're definitely not lightweight/small options. :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »

I'll 2nd Doug's comment about Yamaha - I'm a huge fan of the DSR/DZR series. I have a pair of DZR10s that I really like... a few weeks ago, I ran sound for a small outdoor event (backyard, about 50-60 people in attendance, 6-piece band) and used 2x DSR112 and 2x DZR10 as monitors.

The band (international group) RAVED about the DZR10s - they couldn't believe how full and natural they sounded given their small size. They had apparently played a larger club in Chicago the night before and said the DZR10 blew away what they had the night before. They wanted to buy their own and travel with them.

That said, those RCF and DBTechnologies options look stellar, too. I was running TT5A as mains and man, I love them but they're definitely not lightweight/small options. :)

The DXR-10's are lighter and don't give up much.  I use them on smaller events all the time, used them as mains for a wedding ceremony outdoor space for about 200 folks.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Peter Morris

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »

A few years back dB tech introduced the VIOx205 at infocomm. Art Nadelman and I listened to them. We both thought the same thing and I told myself that if I ever redid my system id get those puppies for the 'tiny' gigs and weddings and such.

They sounded fantastic (this is compared to DSL and RCF), were lightweight and I couldn't believe the low-end kick energy they had.

I'd heavily consider them or the 206 which has better dispersion IMO.

I dont think a 10 or 12 is that much of a difference to warrant a second smaller/lighter option IMO.

https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/vio-x/vio-x205/

FWIW I have a bunch of the VIO 205's  - we mainly use the them as front fills, 4 - 8 of them on their side across the stage ... just love them :-)

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »

FWIW I have a bunch of the VIO 205's  - we mainly use the them as front fills, 4 - 8 of them on their side across the stage ... just love them :-)

Had the OP been ok with a plastic box I would have recommended the DB IG2T's. For a plastic box it has internal metal framework braces and feels like a tank. They can be used 2 at a time with the top one inverted. 128db output. The 15 degree up, 65 degree down horn angle keeps sound off the ceiling in clubs too. At a light 28 lbs and plenty of DSP I really like what they do.

https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/ingenia/ingenia-ig2t/

Douglas R. Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whvl31kufbM

MikeHarris

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »

Because they sound like trash? 😂
thanks...i couldnt be that subtle

Chris Doyle

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:25 PM »

The DXR-10's are lighter and don't give up much.  I use them on smaller events all the time, used them as mains for a wedding ceremony outdoor space for about 200 folks.

I have a pair of DXR-10s for my trio project.  I plan to pick up DXS-12s eventually once the project starts playing out.  The DXR-10s sound great so far though I haven't really pushed them yet.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 11:35:42 AM »

I hadn't noticed that model before. Looks an awful lot like the new TT515 from RCF borrowed some DNA from that model.

I still really like my TT52-A's, need to try running those at tops over TTS15.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

doug johnson2

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »

Not a powered option but, I recently picked up some EAW JF10s.  On a pair of subs, I have been quite impressed with what they will do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.