ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ultra low sub sound  (Read 3067 times)

Scott Wynne

ultra low sub sound
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:17:02 PM »

I have seen several band lives (Chevelle and Alter Bridge specifically) that invoke a really low "something", very sparingly in their show. Low enough in frequency to shake the venue. Does anyone know what that is? It is not kick, bass guitar, etc.  I is so low, it is not even a note, but when unleashed, your body shakes.

I want it!!! Probably can't afford it.

Thanks.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: ultra low sub sound
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »

I have seen several band lives (Chevelle and Alter Bridge specifically) that invoke a really low "something", very sparingly in their show. Low enough in frequency to shake the venue. Does anyone know what that is? It is not kick, bass guitar, etc.  I is so low, it is not even a note, but when unleashed, your body shakes.

Thanks.

Could be an 808. It's an old but effective, uh, effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TR-808
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »

Might also be a high bit rate, high sample rate kick drum sample pitched down low, might be a sine wave gated on and off. All kinds of ways to generate that sort of thing and to trigger them. Just depends on what you want to achieve. Playing with a DAW and a sine wave generator can be cheap and informative. The afford it part comes when you look to how many and what kind of subwoofers will reproduce that at the levels desired.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »

I think the bigger challenge will be acquiring enough subs to have the " effect " have the effect you want.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »

There are ways to layer a freq sweep that dives down into a kick sample or an 808 sample. Essentially you would need to create or find one of those samples and trigger it somehow.

But yeah, bring more subs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:56:40 AM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 07:44:04 PM »

I think the bigger challenge will be acquiring enough subs to have the " effect " have the effect you want.

Or the right subs....

Meyer VLFC's come to mind. Not cheap though  :o
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 08:28:39 PM »

Thanks.

on A&H Dlives and Ilives  there's the hypabass plug in..It's an infra sub processor and yes you would need the proper subs to abuse it correctly.....it's for just that effect that you mentioned....

Ray
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:32:01 PM by raymondsoly »

John Fruits

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 10:27:04 PM »

I thought this was going to be about the Mythbusters "brown note" episode.  LOL
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 03:48:49 AM »

You can bring as many subs as you like, but if they're ported (most are) and tuned above 40Hz, they'll never manage that effect - ported boxes produce very little sound below their tuning frequency.

That air-shudder/whole-world-is-moving stuff happens at/below about 40Hz IME, so start with subs that have enough LF extension to manage it, and then add more to produce the desired effect.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 03:48:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.