ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving and Use  (Read 3201 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Moving and Use
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »

Just wondering about the deployment of my subs and moving them around.  I own 4 four KW181's.  I saw where one person had stacked two subs and strapped them down to a four wheeled dolly.  I imagine they rolled in and out of the trailer.  Looked like they deployed and used them right on the dolly.  Would you see a drop in performance when used up on say a 4 inch wheeled floor dolly?  Any down side to this idea?  I'm just trying to cut down my setup/tear down time.  TIA

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Moving and Use
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »

No, you shouldn't see any impact from being 4 inches off the ground

The concern I'd have with subs on wheels is the subs are then on wheels. I'd make sure that you have wheels with very good brakes or possibly a spacer to get them completely off the wheels while in use so there's no chance for roll away.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 01:24:07 AM »

No, you shouldn't see any impact from being 4 inches off the ground

The concern I'd have with subs on wheels is the subs are then on wheels. I'd make sure that you have wheels with very good brakes or possibly a spacer to get them completely off the wheels while in use so there's no chance for roll away.

What's wrong with the factory casters?  Even my old, fat ass can flip them and push them up the ramp still.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 07:04:33 AM »

The QSC's have the casters on the sides with the controls.  They move pretty easy in and out of my trailer.  Just trying to get where I can roll them into position and just plug them in?  Northern tool sells those trailer blocks to keep your trailer from moving, I could use those to keep them from rolling around.  Currently, I also have to find something to set them on, in say a parking lot, to keep them from getting all scratched up?  This plan would also take care of that issue as well. 

Funny, my fat ass can roll them around too, just have trouble stacking by myself.  We have been moving this stuff around for a few years, and I'm just not getting younger or more enthusiastic about schlepping gear!  I was just wondering about making it a bit easier and quicker?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 08:10:35 AM by Mark Norgren »

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 01:53:10 PM »

Biggest problem I have with subs on wheels is when the ladies twerk. (Serious... I DJ in a club that caters to young adults). I put them solidly on the floor because I want them to stay put. If that's not an issue in your rooms, blocking the castors somehow would probably work.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 03:31:09 AM »

The QSC's have the casters on the sides with the controls.  They move pretty easy in and out of my trailer.  Just trying to get where I can roll them into position and just plug them in?  Northern tool sells those trailer blocks to keep your trailer from moving, I could use those to keep them from rolling around.  Currently, I also have to find something to set them on, in say a parking lot, to keep them from getting all scratched up?  This plan would also take care of that issue as well. 

Funny, my fat ass can roll them around too, just have trouble stacking by myself.  We have been moving this stuff around for a few years, and I'm just not getting younger or more enthusiastic about schlepping gear!  I was just wondering about making it a bit easier and quicker?

I have covers and stuff gets scratched anyway,, we repaint every winter and pound the grills out.  Reason I mention this is the covers have the boards in them so you can stack stuff on them while they are back on the casters. 

I see how it could work for you,. Just not sure if it would save any significant time.  We have used plywood, pallets to set them on, we carry a 1/4 pack of shims too for uneven ground.

I can stack the subs but I can't get the 153:s up on a double stack anymore.  I am 57, 6'3x about 270
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »

What's wrong with the factory casters?  Even my old, fat ass can flip them and push them up the ramp still.

OFA nice, have one myself.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 03:25:44 PM »

Currently, I also have to find something to set them on, in say a parking lot, to keep them from getting all scratched up?

I use foam mats from Harbor Freight.  Super cheap for four and one mat is the perfect size for one KW sub.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 04:15:56 PM »

Just wondering about the deployment of my subs and moving them around.  I own 4 four KW181's.  I saw where one person had stacked two subs and strapped them down to a four wheeled dolly.  I imagine they rolled in and out of the trailer.  Looked like they deployed and used them right on the dolly.  Would you see a drop in performance when used up on say a 4 inch wheeled floor dolly?  Any down side to this idea?  I'm just trying to cut down my setup/tear down time.  TIA

Subs on a dolly would be fine, but if you end up never unstacking them I think you'd be better served by some double 18's.

One thing I hate about single subs is the amount of space they take up when you start using more than 2. You are forced to stack them, or live with them taking up all the trailer floor space.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:37 PM »

Subs on a dolly would be fine, but if you end up never unstacking them I think you'd be better served by some double 18's.

One thing I hate about single subs is the amount of space they take up when you start using more than 2. You are forced to stack them, or live with them taking up all the trailer floor space.

It's all about output @xxHz in a given truck/vehicle pack, per KG.  Or some combination thereof.

Items that mess up a safe and orderly pack are the bane of my existence.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.