ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PRX735 speaker stand top hat mount?  (Read 607 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
PRX735 speaker stand top hat mount?
« on: July 28, 2021, 03:43:28 PM »

Not sure if this was ever discussed but Iím wanting to adapt to a pair of speaker top hat mounts in the bottom of my PRX735 cabinets but havenít seen any documentation on the correct location for applying these mounts?

These arenít very heavy cabinets and certainly smaller than the Kw153ís and those have build in hats as well as other large cabinets like the SRX835ís.

Thanks.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Art Welter

Re: PRX735 speaker stand top hat mount?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »

These arenít very heavy cabinets ..
I remember when a 77 pound (34.9kg) cabinet wasn't "very heavy"- back before six wrist  repair operations  :)

Put a dowel, a drumstick or anything similar under the cabinet, parallel to the front/rear.
Move the cabinet forward and back until it balances on the stick to determine the center of gravity (COG). Center the hole for the top hat there.
You may want to put the top hat a few millimeters behind the COG so it tends to point forward and down if (when..) the stand is slightly undersized to the top hat.

Art

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »

I remember when a 77 pound (34.9kg) cabinet wasn't "very heavy"- back before six wrist  repair operations  :)

Put a dowel, a drumstick or anything similar under the cabinet, parallel to the front/rear.
Move the cabinet forward and back until it balances on the stick to determine the center of gravity (COG). Center the hole for the top hat there.
You may want to put the top hat a few millimeters behind the COG so it tends to point forward and down if (when..) the stand is slightly undersized to the top hat.

Art

Thanks Art. I did place a call out to JBL Tech and although he did say he couldnít legally tell me to do it, he did offer the same process you described, but using a large ball bearing or a tennis ball to find COG.

Thanks.
-SC

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 08:00:19 PM »

Remember to check center of gravity Left to Right as well. I'm guessing it is dead center but if this speaker has a wedge design it may be off some .

Douglas R. Allen

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »

Probably also best to take out the bottom driver and make sure you aren't going to be drilling into anything you don't want to drill into.

John Bosco

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:44 AM »

Probably also best to take out the bottom driver and make sure you aren't going to be drilling into anything you don't want to drill into.

And take the driver out after you determine the COG, obviously.  ;)
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »

Yeah I'll definitely take the bottom driver out to ensure proper clearance. Thank you!

Nimrod Webber

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »

Some more points..

There are many types of top hats out there, considering the size and weight of the these cabs I would advice using the welded steel ones.
Also, to secure the top hat to the speaker use machine bolts and Nylock nuts (not wood screws) and of coarse wide and thick washers under the nuts.

:)
...so God created SOUND, and then God said...
http://www.boniton.co.il
http://www.bt-12.com/ Balanced Tilting Sounds Better... Facebook Users Group

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »

Some more points..

There are many types of top hats out there, considering the size and weight of the these cabs I would advice using the welded steel ones.
Also, to secure the top hat to the speaker use machine bolts and Nylock nuts (not wood screws) and of coarse wide and thick washers under the nuts.

:)

Good points. I'd second with using T-Nuts inside the speaker for the bolts to go through. Less chance of them turning. Also look for deep pole mount top hats. Some are longer than others. You'll need to spec. the size you want but here is an example.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=t+nuts&gclid=CjwKCAjw9aiIBhA1EiwAJ_GTStfS0239KhFGAmmjBCXAZf8l0AmAdPe4PT3_hS01_bFYaNVDDIbd8RoCTFcQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409921554402&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9002792&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=322779504010187207&hvtargid=kwd-38038252&hydadcr=26611_10407624&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_5caxz9jlpg_e

https://www.parts-express.com/PMLT-TL05-1-1-2-Speaker-Pole-Mount-Top-Hat-299-2355

Douglas R. Allen

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »

The problem with pole mounting on subs, is the HUGE lever arm created at the sub connection.
Anything to make the connection point wider will benefit the strength.  Nimrod has the right idea. 
I don't recommend t-nuts, as they concentrate the forces over such a small area.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 04:42:06 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.