ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tom microphones  (Read 1415 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Tom microphones
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 05:53:44 PM »

A bit out of your price range, but I love the Audio-Technica ATM350D for sound quality and quick set up -- no mic stands required.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM350Drum--audio-technica-atm350d-cardioid-condenser-drum-microphone

Solid mic. I've been using them lately on orchestra gigs. I don't have any drum mounts yet, but the standard spring clamp mount will grab a lug tight enough and hang on fine.

I really like these for just about everything.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »

Mics like the e604 are great mics, but now you have a mic and an XLR connector floating in the air around the drum getting in the way of everything.  If you're setting up your own rig and can take the time to find positions that work for you, that's less of a deal.  As a provider that gets 48 seconds to deploy drum mics, quick and easy install becomes one of the things high on the priority list.
It's e604 for me - for all the same reasons.

Connectors?  Right angled XLRs are your friend here...

Greg Harwood

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »

I'm a drummer and I've used Audix D Series for many years on my toms.  They sound great.  Decided one day to switch to the Beyer TG58c and I really like them.  Super easy to mount, low profile, easy cable management, and they sound great with very little eq.  Both Audix and Beyer are solid choices.
Greg H.

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »

I like the 604s for the clips - a nice flexible plastic that would take real effort (or age) to snap, unlike so many of them.  Also doesn't mark up drums like the metal clamp on a beta 98.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »

I like the 604s for the clips - a nice flexible plastic that would take real effort (or age) to snap, unlike so many of them.  Also doesn't mark up drums like the metal clamp on a beta 98.

I bought a number of the cheap Radio Shack 604 knock offs for the clips just when the Shack was going down.    The Senn clips cost quite a bit more.  Just throw the lousy mic in the bin and keep the clip.  I don't remember what mics I used, this was a club gig a good while back.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Will Knight

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »

Primarily use this the Audix D-Series here. Also frequently use 604s and the ole standby 57s.
Ive managed to figured out a nice tight & crisp sound from the D4s for the soft rock/jazz/R&B categories I suggest usually work in.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 01:46:18 PM »

It's e604 for me - for all the same reasons.

Connectors?  Right angled XLRs are your friend here...

ding ding !!

yep...e604s have been my choice for the toms. My rig is marketed to semi-pro private events, so not as "demanding" as some national acts can be. But never a complaint and I get all I want on the toms...even at times when the board might be limited or for whatever reason I want to place a single e604 between the two rack toms.  Again, I'm not a pro audio provider, but these work for me.
I have the Audix for kick, but other options as well...I don't always love/like the audix.

good ol sm57 for snare/hat and I have several options in condensors for overhead brass..including Sennheiser and Shure..but my secret when no one is looking is I have a pair of Peavey condensors that I actually really like.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »

I'm really happy with the PR28's in my Heil drum mic kit, and don't think anyone has mentioned those yet.  I've had good success with all the standard E604/Audix d-series/Shure Beta56a type but got rid of them all ages ago so I haven't had a chance to compare in the same setting. 

The Beta56's I used had a lot of road time on them before I got my hands on them granted, but the swivel joint/A56D clamp combination always seemed to wobble loose with a heavy-handed drummer.  Tighten by hand, tighten some more, wrap with e-tape, retighten after 3 songs.

Regarding clips for rim mount, I have yet to find a universal style but the Heil ones are different than the Shure/Senny style, so it gives me more choices before having to settle for a clamp on the hardware or tripod.  I have a cheap Shure PG-series mic kit collecting dust that I only ever open to use the clips when needed.  The K&M 240/5 is pretty good for mounting to the drum hardware.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »

Heil PR28s in use here. I swapped out the mounts that come with them for these small Audix mounts.

https://audixusa.com/products/dvice/

The supplied mounts are great in theory, but I found them cumbersome and they don't grip well on all rims. The mics themselves have been great. They've been smacked by errant sticks several times and have held up well. Occasionally, I have to tighten the screws that hold the mic to the thread adapter, but no big deal. I also use the Heil HMP+. It's very small and easy to tuck into tight spots. PR40 in kick drums has worked well for me also. Have also used Audio Technica AE3000s on toms & overheads, and they do quite well also.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 02:17:07 PM »

Lots of love for the Heil PR28s here.  I've found that I do have to seasonally check the set screw.  I no longer use them in the clip format but will use them in a weekend street festivals on short stands.  They mount well, secure, easy to aim and easy to see from a distance if they've been aimed between quick change overs.  More than once has a 604 (or other) been clipped on and never revisited in the hurry scurry.

My 604s see a lot of action, toms, snare, high crime clubs, drunk drummers, whatever, they'll take the abuse.  The cost point and the ease to deploy make them a no brainer. 

My all around favorite is the DPA 4099 but the drummer, kit, style of music, need to make sense, otherwise 604s.  I have 4 of these and can see myself ordering more.  I was first sold/turned on by them from the NAMM Yamaha stages extensive use on percussion. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 02:17:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.