ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tom microphones  (Read 4143 times)

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
Re: Tom microphones
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »

I love the Se Electronics V-drum kit. used a lot of e604 before but the clip on this mic is awesome!

very well build, killer sound, nice & clean looking.

https://www.seelectronics.com/v-beat-clamp-snare-tom-drum-mic

JohnPinchin

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »

I'm a big fan of the e604 - quick and easy to get a good sound, decent clip without faffing about,  cheap and readily available if I needed more in a hurry.   In the studio or for huge gigs I might look at more upmarket options but for the gigs I do every week they are great.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »

I'm an "old-timer"...
EV ND-308's on rack toms, 408's on floor toms and snare.
AT-4031's on hat and overheads. 57's or 308's on "toys"
D-112 / RE-20 / ND-408 and a few others on Kick, depending on the drum, drummer and sound we're looking for.
I cut down a dozen stands to make placement tight and easy. The pivoting heads on the 308/408 makes it easy to get placement just right, and out of the way of *most* errant hits.
Sure, not modern, but it works.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »

another sennheiser e604 user here.

@helge - I'm surprised that you preferred the 604 to the 904.  Care to elaborate?  While I've never tried 904s, I've universally preferred the 900-series to the 600 series whenever I've been able to compare.  935 vs. 835?  no contest!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:21 PM »

I put the Beyer TG-D57c and Beyer TG-D58c mics in my kit (the only difference is gooseneck length)

What I really like about these mics is the built in clip and cable routing.  No muss, no fuss, just clip and go on just about any drum.

Mics like the e604 are great mics, but now you have a mic and an XLR connector floating in the air around the drum getting in the way of everything.  If you're setting up your own rig and can take the time to find positions that work for you, that's less of a deal.  As a provider that gets 48 seconds to deploy drum mics, quick and easy install becomes one of the things high on the priority list.

When I used to use larger mics on the drums, they would get hit a lot more often. Now with the tiny clip on mics, it's been so much nicer.
Brian Jojade

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »

another sennheiser e604 user here.

@helge - I'm surprised that you preferred the 604 to the 904.  Care to elaborate?  While I've never tried 904s, I've universally preferred the 900-series to the 600 series whenever I've been able to compare.  935 vs. 835?  no contest!

e904 has too much high end IMHO. That said, sometimes I like it on floor toms.
I run my e604 with the 504-style clip reverse mounted.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »

I like my Audix D2 and D4 mics. I have used them for both live work and recordings and the results have been very good either way.
I use AT overheads, 57 for snare and either a B52 or D6 for kick ..so I'm not all Audix but I do like their tom mics a lot.
I use the D-Vice clips for the tom mics and so far they have adapted well to the kits I've miked up.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 03:24:04 PM »

I'm an "old-timer"...
EV ND-308's on rack toms, 408's on floor toms and snare.
AT-4031's on hat and overheads. 57's or 308's on "toys"
D-112 / RE-20 / ND-408 and a few others on Kick, depending on the drum, drummer and sound we're looking for.
I cut down a dozen stands to make placement tight and easy. The pivoting heads on the 308/408 makes it easy to get placement just right, and out of the way of *most* errant hits.
Sure, not modern, but it works.
Chris.

I too am an old-timer and I approve this message.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »

e904 has too much high end IMHO. That said, sometimes I like it on floor toms.
I run my e604 with the 504-style clip reverse mounted.

I tend to prefer the 604 as well. Less hyped.

A good few years ago Slayer had a couple of 609's on the smallest rack toms. Not sure how they arrived at that choice, but it sounded great. There were Heil mics on the other toms iirc.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »

A bit out of your price range, but I love the Audio-Technica ATM350D for sound quality and quick set up -- no mic stands required.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM350Drum--audio-technica-atm350d-cardioid-condenser-drum-microphone
Colorado Springs, CO

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.