Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Tom microphones

(1/7) > >>

Dan Godwin:
Spend someone elseís money!!  Iím Looking to replace or upgrade my Tom mics after one of mine stopped working.  Looking at the typical Sennheiser, Audix, and Beyer Dynamic offerings.  Any one have a preference or something else to consider?  The rest of the drum kit is audix (kick & snare) and Beyerdynamic (OH & high hats).  Looking to spend about $500 for 3 mics. Thanks in advance!

Tim Weaver:
Rock, country, hip hop? Church?

I like the small gooseneck mounted condensers for a more modern sound for rock or church stuff. I like dynamics for everything else. Although I can work with a dynamic for everything.

The Audix D2 is ok. As are just plain old 57's, although the are harder to position. The Shure beta 98 is super rider friendly, and a great sounding mic.

Helge A Bentsen:
My go-to mic is Sennheiser e604, I prefer that compared to the e904.
Have a set of DPA 4099 for those gigs where a different sound is wanted/needed and a set of Sennheiser MD441 if I need something "special".

Dan Godwin:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on July 26, 2021, 11:50:30 AM ---Rock, country, hip hop? Church?

I like the small gooseneck mounted condensers for a more modern sound for rock or church stuff. I like dynamics for everything else. Although I can work with a dynamic for everything.

The Audix D2 is ok. As are just plain old 57's, although the are harder to position. The Shure beta 98 is super rider friendly, and a great sounding mic.

--- End quote ---

Blues/rock/jazz mainly.  Not doing anything big enough yet to worry about rider friendliness, but Iíll take a look at the beta 98.  Thanks!

Mal Brown:
e604 user here as well.  do be aware that in spite of the clip, you may have to boom mount in the event of big, thick wooden rims.   I see those in jazz a bit though in jazz a 441 as OHd and 421 on the kick is my go to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version