ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser MD412 old vs new  (Read 1262 times)

JeffreyHague

Sennheiser MD412 old vs new
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:28:43 AM »

Hey all!
Back in thee 80s when I got in to this I bought 3 Sennheiser MD421s for toms and I loved them except for placement.
After getting easier mics for toms (I don't remember what at first but today I use e609s) I started using the 421s on kick, Leslie Lo, Trombone, etc and the 421 is still my favorite Kick mic.
Recently I bought a new small rig and went ahead and bought 1 of the new MD421 MK ii mics.
I do have access to 1 of the 421s I bought in the 80s - sold it to a friend a few years ago - and plan on doing a comparison myself when I get a chance but if you have used both the original and the new I would love to hear your thoughts on the differences.

Thanks all!

Jeff

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Sennheiser MD412 old vs new
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »

I have both. The old MD421 is cream-coloured, with cursive writing on the front of the grille.
I picked up a couple of new ones when they were heavily discounted.

The old one is better in terms of sound - the new one has something weird going on in the 3-6kHz area - see the response curves attached.

Given the variable storage & use conditions of vintage mics, it's likely yours will measure different to mine. I've worked on (and measured) somewhere in the region of 30+ AKG D12s, and I don't think I ever saw two the same.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 04:21:29 PM by Chris Grimshaw »
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 04:50:59 PM »

I do have access to 1 of the 421s I bought in the 80s - sold it to a friend a few years ago - and plan on doing a comparison myself when I get a chance but if you have used both the original and the new I would love to hear your thoughts on the differences.
Jeff,

I purchased a pair of new MD421 MKII in 1998. At the time, the sales brochures touted the new version as having less moving mass, better transient response due to thinner voice coil wire.

The first MD421 MKII failed within a week of the one year warranty period, and the second failed shortly after that, neither had been used on more than six gigs (only on brass and reeds, no loud drums) and were in completely immaculate condition.

Sennheiser wanted near the retail price to repair the MD421 MKII microphones at the time, so I scrapped them and never got a chance to compare them with early versions.

Art

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:57:09 PM by Art Welter »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »

Jeff,

I purchased a pair of new MD421 MKII in 1998. At the time, the sales brochures touted the new version as having less moving mass, better transient response due to thinner voice coil wire.

The first MD421 MKII failed within a week of the one year warranty period, and the second failed shortly after that, neither had been used on brass and reeds on more than around six gigs, and  were in completely immaculate condition.

Sennheiser wanted near the retail price to repair the MD421 MKII microphones at the time, so I scrapped them and never got a chance to compare them with early versions.

Art

Our experience with the 421 MKII as well.  I think there is an old office desk out in the shop with a drawer full of them, unrepaired for the same reason.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

JeffreyHague

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »

I have both. The old MD421 is cream-coloured, with cursive writing on the front of the grille.
I picked up a couple of new ones when they were heavily discounted.

The old one is better in terms of sound - the new one has something weird going on in the 3-6kHz area - see the response curves attached.

Given the variable storage & use conditions of vintage mics, it's likely yours will measure different to mine. I've worked on (and measured) somewhere in the region of 30+ AKG D12s, and I don't think I ever saw two the same.

Chris

I don't know yet whether its better but definitely a bump above 1k and yeah, that spike at 3k5ish is scary!
Thanks!

JeffreyHague

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 09:24:05 AM »

Jeff,

The first MD421 MKII failed within a week of the one year warranty period, and the second failed shortly after that, neither had been used on more than six gigs (only on brass and reeds, no loud drums) and were in completely immaculate condition.

Art

Glad I only bought one!
Thanks!

JeffreyHague

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 09:24:28 AM »

Our experience with the 421 MKII as well.  I think there is an old office desk out in the shop with a drawer full of them, unrepaired for the same reason.

Thanks!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 09:49:21 AM »

I don't know yet whether its better but definitely a bump above 1k and yeah, that spike at 3k5ish is scary!
Thanks!

I'd be more worried about the 4.2kHz peak and 5.8kHz dip on the modern mic. "Colourful" just about covers it. I generally prefer my mics to be reasonably transparent, but I'll find use for them somewhere.

... Or find a way of fixing them.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »

Hey all!
Back in thee 80s when I got in to this I bought 3 Sennheiser MD421s for toms and I loved them except for placement.
After getting easier mics for toms (I don't remember what at first but today I use e609s) I started using the 421s on kick, Leslie Lo, Trombone, etc and the 421 is still my favorite Kick mic.
Recently I bought a new small rig and went ahead and bought 1 of the new MD421 MK ii mics.

Thanks all!

Jeff
Back when I was dating my wife (circa 1990) she bought me a 421 as a birthday present...(a muso buddy of mine recommended it)....
I used it for years as a flute mic while gigging jazz.
It was excellent on flute as it seemed to draw-out the bottom eight notes/pitches of my range better than all of the mics I had used.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.