Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Need help with setting up vocal monitor in rehearsal space

<< < (4/4)

Steve Mason:

--- Quote from: Ned Ward on July 27, 2021, 10:45:56 AM ---30 watts cranked is WAY too loud for a rehearsal space. Get an overdrive pedal to get the tone you want at normal levels. Otherwise, all these other fixes are just bandaids that aren't addressing the elephant in the room.

So get an overdrive pedal or an attenuator, but the answer you probably don't want to hear is turn your darn amp down...

--- End quote ---

Agree whole heartedly.  My lead guitar player will be noodling around with Van Halen etc etc  during rehearsals and it sounds like Van Halen even at low volumes.  His tone comes from years of experience and a pedal board used with skill and knowledge.

"Singing louder" puts stress on the vocal cords and can lead to a plethora of problems for a singer down the road. Turning down the amp is probably a better solution.

Luke Geis:
I would argue that straining your voice to sing louder is a potential long-term problem, but it does have a solution. MANY so-called singers are perhaps really good but lack any formal training and regular practice to actually be great singers. This lack of training and practice makes them work around their problems. One such horrid " vocal saving " technique is the MJ whisper singing crap that became popular. I know many great singers that would use this trick to save their voice during the crap shows so they could kill it at the big shows. The problem is that you perform as you practice, so when the big shows came they would go flat, get pitchy and still tear their throats up. In the meantime, they are fighting a losing battle in the crap shows with monitoring.

Get some vocal training and you can learn how to sing with power and not tear your throat apart.

The first time I heard a real opera singer I was blown away!!!!! She started warming up and the whole room was moving, I could hear her as if she was in my ear and I was on a balcony 75' away. She filled the room with her voice to the point where the orchestra needed to be amplified to keep up with her... And she didn't complain about a torn-up throat. To say WOW was not even close to enough, it was truly otherworldly. Go see an opera if you want to gain a new respect for the power of the human voice. They don't use microphones, and they don't need them.

So get vocal training, and work within the confines of the environment. If you have crap to work with, it means you have to do more work on your end to make what you have be able to do anything. The big thing I always tell bands that keep snowballing the monitors is that this isn't your show, the monitors are a crutch to suckle your insecurities. Use as little as needed to do what you need to do and give the guy at FOH every chance to sell you to the crowd. When feedback is an issue and you still need more, it is generally because of unreasonable expectations, not operator incompetence. Once the operator is painted into a corner, he is stepping on wet paint and tracking it everywhere to get himself out.

John Bosco:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 27, 2021, 07:36:00 AM ---Turn the guitar down.  Remove your earplugs.

--- End quote ---
^^^
This

John Bosco:

--- Quote from: John Bosco on August 02, 2021, 03:03:49 PM ---^^^
This

--- End quote ---

Let me elaborate, it appears as though you are searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You are playing by yourself in your rehearsal space, so why is your guitar amp so loud that you need to wear ear plugs and completely mess up you monitor mix, because that's a volume you imagine your future drummer will play at? Remember, this is your starting point now and you have no where to go.

For a brief history, I'm a sound man/drummer/guitar player, mostly sound, but I've been in bands as both a drummer and guitar player, never a singer, but I have 3 out of the 4 covered. Try getting your guitar sound in your rehearsal space, just you and your gear no ear plugs, now lets work on getting the vocals working, with no earplugs and your guitar at a normal level instead of trying to be louder then an imaginary drummer it'll be alot easier now. Now when an actual drummer shows up they'll play at the level they are comfortable with, around a volume you have already set, it will most likely be a lot lower then you imagined, if not, you start to bring the levels up, I bet it'll still be a lot quieter and more manageable then before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version