Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Need help with setting up vocal monitor in rehearsal space

<< < (3/4) > >>

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Radoslaw Andruszkiewicz on July 26, 2021, 05:43:01 PM ---
I have thought hard about IEMs, very specifically Westone AM Pro series, as they only partially insulate the sound and attenuate ca. -12db (around the level of my ear plugs, if equally flat not sure though), so (hopefully) I could use them for vocals only, and get the rest of the mix from other sources.

--- End quote ---

Why?  If you have good ear buds, such as UM Pro 30 or 50 - put everything through them.  Including mics for the audience, and switched mics (can be super cheap ones) for inter-band talkback. 

You seem to still be hung up on thinking IEM = vocal.  No, IEM = full band.  That way you can ditch the graphic EQ, and use the parametric on the console for tone shaping of all inputs. 

Luke Geis:
Radoslaw,

Feedback is a curable disease, and like any disease, there is a cause for it. What most of us are telling you is that your guitar is too loud, your singing voice is too quiet, and your monitoring rig is not optimal. How do you cure that? You turn the guitar down by using a load box like a Two Notes Torpedo Captor X or similar, sing louder so your voice wins at the mic, and or improve your monitoring situation. I think your EV monitor speaker is fine. I think you need a real mixer and DSP similar to a Behringer DEQ2496 ( something with multiple parametric EQ filters ). My prescription is to use a low-cut filter that rolls up as high as practical to eliminate low-end woof and fullness. Then use parametric EQs to eliminate the first two or three problem frequencies with as small a width of filter as you can. Do this with ANY mic other than the Super 55. We are not kidding, that mic is for nothing more than looks. Once you get to a point where you can walk up to the mic and sing and the monitor is very much clear as day and stable ( free from feedback ) then introduce your guitar into the situation. Add in guitar level until the desired mix is achieved. If you don't have enough crunch ( distortion, or breakup ) then either use a pedal to add the needed crunch, or get a load box to allow you to push the amp into breakup. I got myself a Torpedo Captor X and it is an AMAZING tool. The major takeaway is that you have to play within the confines of what your environment will allow. If your guitar is too loud, it doesn't matter how much monitoring you have, the guitar will still win.

The litmus that I go by is that if things are loud enough that you are wincing ( cringing, gritting teeth, tensing up, or some other sign of discomfort ), and you feel the need for earplugs at all, it is probably too loud.

Tim McCulloch:
Turn the guitar down.  Remove your earplugs.

Ned Ward:
30 watts cranked is WAY too loud for a rehearsal space. Get an overdrive pedal to get the tone you want at normal levels. Otherwise, all these other fixes are just bandaids that aren't addressing the elephant in the room.

Rehearsing with a band isn't about cranking your amp and dealing with feedback - it's about playing with others and learning songs and learning to play together and listen. I'll go to any rehearsal studio and I'm fine with a Line 6 Spider amp - generally hated by everyone - and with my pedalboard and the amp set on clean, I can get a tone that works for rehearsal.

So get an overdrive pedal or an attenuator, but the answer you probably don't want to hear is turn your darn amp down...

James Rowe:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 27, 2021, 07:36:00 AM ---Turn the guitar down.  Remove your earplugs.

--- End quote ---

At last a sensible reply, thanks Tim. I did FOH at some metal gigs a few years back where I seemed to be the only person in the room and on stage not wearing earplugs... I don't take those gigs anymore!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version