ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 routing question  (Read 962 times)

Landon Lewsaw

X32 routing question
« on: August 02, 2021, 10:11:13 AM »

I'm pushing my X32 Producer to the limits of its' physical I/O - running a triamped PA through the matrix which ties up 6 outputs and now we're going to ears.  I want to run 5 pairs of stereo ears, 10 more outputs, and I'm short 2!  I'm trying to use the monitor outs for the 5th ear mix - it looks like you can select "aux 5/6" or "aux 7/8" as the source, but that doesn't seem to be the same as mixbus 5/6 or 7/8. 

Any suggestions for a workaround?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: X32 routing question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »

I'm pushing my X32 Producer to the limits of its' physical I/O - running a triamped PA through the matrix which ties up 6 outputs and now we're going to ears.  I want to run 5 pairs of stereo ears, 10 more outputs, and I'm short 2!  I'm trying to use the monitor outs for the 5th ear mix - it looks like you can select "aux 5/6" or "aux 7/8" as the source, but that doesn't seem to be the same as mixbus 5/6 or 7/8. 

Any suggestions for a workaround?

Yes. Get the PA drive out of the desk and use a system DSP.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »

Yes. Get the PA drive out of the desk and use a system DSP.

^^This^^

Added bonus; no risk of having someone load a patch that wipes out filtering and blows drivers.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »

Yes guys, I realize that I could buy an external crossover/speaker management tool.  The idea is to cheat the system and figure out something for free without adding hardware.  I should add this is my personal rig not a venue system or anything.

I guess I could leave the last ear mix soloed and set the monitor source to mix bus AFL, and just run that set of ears from the internal headphone amp.  I'm just not clear on what they mean by "aux 5/6" as a monitor souce.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »

Yes guys, I realize that I could buy an external crossover/speaker management tool.  The idea is to cheat the system and figure out something for free without adding hardware.  I should add this is my personal rig not a venue system or anything.

I guess I could leave the last ear mix soloed and set the monitor source to mix bus AFL, and just run that set of ears from the internal headphone amp.  I'm just not clear on what they mean by "aux 5/6" as a monitor souce.

The cheapest, reliable way to get more outputs is spending $400 or so on a DSP.  As you're seeing, the idea that you're cheating someone or something is causing you to not do what you want.  The only one being cheated is you and you're doing it to yourself.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 04:26:53 PM »

Aux 5/6 is a stereo pair of the 6 Aux inputs on the board.   They have corresponding outputs labeled aux out.  You only have 16 mix bus but that should be fine as you are using the matrix outputs routed to the XLR outs.  In V4 and later you can do 1:1 routing instead of blocks.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 09:52:59 PM »

Aux 5/6 is a stereo pair of the 6 Aux inputs on the board.   They have corresponding outputs labeled aux out.  You only have 16 mix bus but that should be fine as you are using the matrix outputs routed to the XLR outs.  In V4 and later you can do 1:1 routing instead of blocks.

That's what I thought at first Scott, but it also has "aux 7/8" listed as a possible monitor source?  It's just an X32 Producer so I only have 8 XLR and the 6 TRS out.  Just looking for a way to use the monitor outs to send a mix bus to ears.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 06:01:31 AM »

That's what I thought at first Scott, but it also has "aux 7/8" listed as a possible monitor source?  It's just an X32 Producer so I only have 8 XLR and the 6 TRS out.  Just looking for a way to use the monitor outs to send a mix bus to ears.

I realize fully your not looking to purchase any more gear at this time but it may be time to do so. Even with a basic SD8 either new or used your advantages would be 2 fold. You'd get 8 more XLR outs to use so you wouldn't have to use the Aux outs on the desk. The Aux Outs on the X32 line have a little less max output than the XLR outs. Around +16dbu if I remember right (I haven't looked in some time) and of course 8 more XLR in's to bring your mix up to 24 XLR ins.  The only other solution may be to go to 2 mono mixes if you have 2 people who would be willing to give it a try.
  Search around the normal used places and post a WTB here as someone may have a SD8 or even a SD16 they may want to part with. Also Search Mike Pyle here to see what the new pricing might be. The cost in the long term is really worth the investment.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 06:01:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.