ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic around £200?  (Read 2859 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Wireless mic around £200?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »

What are people’s thoughts on the EV RE3 systems? Whilst I know these cost around £500 I am considering investing a little more in getting something that is decent.
The ProSoundWeb review seems very positive and I really like the fact that the mic body is metal and has switchable heads!

I personally never seen any EV wireless units where I'm at, it's either Shure or Sennheiser, then again I've never used any EV mics... For something cheaper, the Sennheiser EW100 G4 would be the pick since it looks like you have Sennheiser inventory. Or in the same price range but slightly more expensive is the Shure SLX-D. My personal rig is 4x EW100 G3 on ASA1 and it works great compared to the regular SLX units at the time I bought them. I'm a Shure house so I'm biased to have the itch to "upgrade" to the SLX-D if I can find justification to haha. The only complaint I have is the 835 heads it came with, to me it sounds "boxy" or too much emphasis on the low-mids and mids. Even when I do the eq cuts, it still doesn't sound "good". I could probably buy the 935 heads if it sounds that much better...

Richard Penrose

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »

I have 4 wired versions of the older N/D 767 which I like a lot so I would guess the same of the wireless version with the updated capsule.

Thanks. This is good to know  :) To be honest there's a wide variety in reviews of these units with a lot of people highly praising them. I've had a quick listen to the audio examples of this using a directly wired SM58 and SM58 with the wireless set and whilst I can hear some audio degradation and added hiss it doesn't sound as bad as some of the reviews stated!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgIhlSP6Oc&t=6s

I have 4 wired versions of the older N/D 767 which I like a lot so I would guess the same of the wireless version with the updated capsule.

I used to have two of the wired N/D 767's and one of the newer ND86 mics and agree they were really good sounding mics. The only reason why I sold them is I preferred the Telefunken M80's and their great bleed rejection. I also use the Sennheiser e945's and e838's a lot and sometimes the Audio Technica ATM710 condensers.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 11:21:21 AM »

Thanks. This is good to know  :) To be honest there's a wide variety in reviews of these units with a lot of people highly praising them. I've had a quick listen to the audio examples of this using a directly wired SM58 and SM58 with the wireless set and whilst I can hear some audio degradation and added hiss it doesn't sound as bad as some of the reviews stated!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgIhlSP6Oc&t=6s

It can be REALLY hard to convey audio quality looking at a video.  For most people, if it passes audio, it's awesome.  But when you do real side by side comparisons, that's when you realize how bad that audio might be.

Example, the Shure SLX has been a pretty popular mic.  But, using it in a singing scenario, it sounds 'off'.  Swapping the mic with a wired SM58 makes a pretty dramatic difference.

Again, many people may not recognize that difference until they can experience it first hand.  I know I didn't.  The differences in many cases are quite subtle.
Brian Jojade

Richard Penrose

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 11:26:18 AM »

I've just seen another review of the JoJo unit and it sounds much worse in this review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZinXsrUof30

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »

I've just seen another review of the JoJo unit and it sounds much worse in this review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZinXsrUof30

Not sure what to say except my experience has been very good. I have a couple of recordings from shows using each of my systems and they both sound clean. Maybe I was just lucky OR the folks complaining were just unlucky???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.