Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Powered loudspeaker amp module failure

(1/8) > >>

Doug Fowler:
Personally experience, no hearsay please. 

Proceed..

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on July 24, 2021, 07:44:07 PM ---Personally experience, no hearsay please. 

Proceed..

--- End quote ---

Meyer UPJ. Easy to swap out module, spares readily available. By easy to swap, I mean can be performed onsite with basic tools - no trip to workshop required.

RCF Art. Goes in the Junk/DIY project pile as spares are not cost effective relative to purchase price of speaker. If the economics were different it would also be an easy swap.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on July 24, 2021, 07:44:07 PM ---Personally experience, no hearsay please. 

Proceed..

--- End quote ---

We don't have a lot of variety in our powered stuff - I think we have 4 SRX835sp and 6 SRX828sp (or whatever the powered model suffix is).  Some are4 years old, the rest are 3 years old.  To date none have failed.  At one time we had 6 of the powered Mackie (450?) and don't recall any amp issues with them before we sold them off.

We have 32 dB Technologies T4 plastic line array boxes.  All are at least 6 years old; we've had 3 amp bucket failures, IIRC.  A local tech is a dB Tech/RCF repair station so we just take them down to him.  One was PSU failure, the others were output transistors.

At our PAC we have a collection of JBL EONs (maybe 8?) from a 10-12 year span.  I don't recall ever taking one to the PAC service bay for an amp bucket problem.

A venue downtown has 16 RCF HDL20a which were purchased used from one of our competitors.  They've had 1 amp failure that I attribute to 240v, but they swear it just quit.

Local AV shop had a Meyer M2D rig for years, never an amp failure.

Scott Helmke:
Everything is going to break eventually. The only two questions are, is it easy to remove and how fast can you get it fixed/replaced?

With that in mind, I'm very much a fan of Meyer gear, with the possible exception of the series that didn't have a module but instead had a few cards and transformers scattered around the inside of the cabinet.  MJF-212, M'elodie, UPQ (not UPQ-D).

Brian Jojade:
I deal with mostly JBL stuff.  On the lower end JBL cabinets, I've seen MANY failures.  2 have been within the warranty period, the rest typically right outside of it.  I've got one in my shop right now that has a blown cap causing massive hiss in the HF. Amp modules are on backorder, so the speaker sits.  Cost to the customer for parts and labor was within $100 of getting a new speaker, so that's the route they went.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version