Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Speaker fell from Gym overhead

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steve-White:
If you haven't already, prepare final report and also submit it to the district school board.  AS Debbie pointed out, there are probably others out there and the the school board will want them corrected.

Brian Jojade:
Yikes.  I hope the area around the other offender has been roped off immediately so nobody walks through it!

This is a perfect example of something that might look just fine from a casual observer being horribly dangerous. Any inspector should have been able to recognize that as an unacceptable hang job and required immediate removal.  ANYTHING hung overhead needs to be done with utmost care.

Sadly, you'll see stuff like this ALL over the place.  And when you propose doing it right, they'll often just find someone that's willing to cut corners and do it cheaper.

Now, regarding the 70v transformers, I'm not sure I see the issue with that. Other than the wiring being a little messy looking, bolting a transformer to the back of the speaker cabinet isn't the end of the world.  Yeah, it would be better to put inside, but I don't see much wrong with it being outside the cabinet as long as it's securely fastened.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on July 23, 2021, 12:15:04 PM ---

Sadly, you'll see stuff like this ALL over the place.  And when you propose doing it right, they'll often just find someone that's willing to cut corners and do it cheaper.

--- End quote ---

Or they say "it's been hanging up there all this time and hasn't fallen"

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on July 23, 2021, 12:20:30 PM ---Or they say "it's been hanging up there all this time and hasn't fallen"

--- End quote ---

Yep - great rationale...

Joseph D. Macry:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on July 23, 2021, 12:15:04 PM ---
Now, regarding the 70v transformers, I'm not sure I see the issue with that. Other than the wiring being a little messy looking, bolting a transformer to the back of the speaker cabinet isn't the end of the world.  Yeah, it would be better to put inside, but I don't see much wrong with it being outside the cabinet as long as it's securely fastened.

--- End quote ---
The only problem I have wqith the 70V transformer is that it is connected to the 70V output of the amp that is ALSO already outputting via 4ohm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version