ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolling Loud video wall collapses in Miami  (Read 2989 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Rolling Loud video wall collapses in Miami
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:32:02 PM »

Reports are that one of the video walls collapsed this after noon. So far no reports of injuries.

https://wsvn.com/entertainment/video-wall-at-rolling-loud-stage-collapses-no-reported-injuries/

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Rolling Loud video wall collapses in Miami
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 10:48:42 PM »

Oh my gawd - hopefully no updated injury reports.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:09:04 PM »

Oh my gawd - hopefully no updated injury reports.
Apparently the event staff didn't even call it in to the Miami-Dade Fire Department.

I mean, I guess if there weren't any injuries, then it doesn't really have to be reported to the local emergency personnel?  :-\

Without any injuries, it's just a bunch of crap falling over, right?   ???
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 11:10:20 PM »

That ups the level of the clusterphuk.  Phukup royally then try and dismiss it.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »

That ups the level of the clusterphuk.  Phukup royally then try and dismiss it.
I'll be honest....People have been out of work for almost a year and a half now. We're all out of practice. Things that we drill into our work routines by rote memorization have been forgotten, and those skills are now atrophied. And some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people in our industry have called it quits, leaving the lesser experienced people to fill in when they really shouldn't be.

We hung a video wall for a festival here a few weeks ago, and it took the crew twice as long to hang it because no one could remember how it went together exactly.

Expect to see more of this type of stuff as people get back into working.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 11:27:36 PM »

{...} Without any injuries, it's just a bunch of crap falling over, right?   ???

I mean, I guess so? If the public isn't there, and the workers are all accounted for, I guess you just fill out the paperwork for a "near miss" and call the insurance company? It feels weird to not call the fire department, but by the same token it's not really an "emergency", per se, and I can't think of anything they'd have brought to the table that wasn't already available on-site.

-Russ

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 11:33:37 PM »

I mean, I guess so? If the public isn't there, and the workers are all accounted for, I guess you just fill out the paperwork for a "near miss" and call the insurance company? It feels weird to not call the fire department, but by the same token it's not really an "emergency", per se, and I can't think of anything they'd have brought to the table that wasn't already available on-site.

-Russ

MDFD just got done dealing with that condo collapse. If there wasn't anyone hurt or injured, I can only imagine them responding and saying, "So, no one was hurt? No one is under all this shit? What the hell are you calling us for? We've got real disasters to deal with. Leave use alone unless somebody gets hurt".
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »

Problem is, no one got hurt - TODAY
If that happened 24 hours later............

What about everything else that is flown.
I should think someone with an intimate knowledge of rigging should go over the entire site with a fine-toothed comb before Punter one is allowed on-site.

Is this a prelude to a season of collapses and failures because "Hey, we're out of practice"?
Tell that to the dead kid's parents......
And the insurance companies...

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 10:30:55 AM »

I would think OSHA would be very interested.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »

No fire, no injuries, nobody trapped means no reason to call the fire department.  Yes, there should definitely be paperwork filed and the incident investigated to see what caused this.  I'm sure the insurance company is all over that.

Yes, being out of practice is an excuse for load ins taking a bit longer. It shouldn't be an excuse for more accidents though.
Brian Jojade

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 08:34:35 PM »

Yes, being out of practice is an excuse for load ins taking a bit longer.
Break time, that's a 'rap..

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 01:24:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to do that.

-Russ

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 01:01:50 PM »

Huh. I thought YOU bolted those in...

Man, they were lucky no one was hurt!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 04:05:16 PM »

Hey Boss, where do these pins go? I have a bunch of extras.
Chris.

Scott Helmke

Daniel Levi

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 03:35:51 AM »

Hey Boss, where do these pins go? I have a bunch of extras.
Chris.

All back together and I only have a few bolts spare, excell......, so that's where the bolts went.

But again, f'ups like that naturally cannot be excused by simply saying that "our crew were out of condition", if mistakes can kill or cause serious harm then you are not allowed to be "out of condition", the person lying in hospital will not accept being "out of condition" as an excuse.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 05:26:44 AM »

IDK how it works in the US, but over here the distributor selling the parts needed in a setup like this must provide a clear instruction for use in a local language or it's illegal to sell it.
The shop owning/renting out this setup needs to have these instructions on site + written instructions on how to do the actual setup, again in a local language so the people setting this up can reference any step in the process and get it right.
As the owner of this you wouldn't get very far claiming that you didn't know or remember how to put this together with your insurance company or the authorities, because both points are now written into law in parts of the EU. And you're responsible for providing the correct  info to those setting this up, you can't claim that you believed they knew/should have known, it's on you to make sure they know.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:06 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQdLwQUPQIo
Holy crap Scott.
When it makes it to The Simpsons, does that mean it's an acceptable situation?
Wow.
Chris.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »

Back in my mechanic days, if we had leftover fasteners from doing job (this was in the late 80s/early 90s), the joke was "it was over-engineered."

But seriously, it's miraculous that no one was injured. Holy cats...

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 04:14:22 PM »

Back in my mechanic days, if we had leftover fasteners from doing job (this was in the late 80s/early 90s), the joke was "it was over-engineered."

But seriously, it's miraculous that no one was injured. Holy cats...

I have a humorous story about leftover parts from my nuclear power plant days.

We had a rookie repair tech in the Instrument and Controls shop. He had been there a bit, but had struggled to learn things. There are many items in nuclear plants, and some are not "critical". One example was a multi-point chart recorder that automatically cycled through 132 thermocouple input points and printed the temperature measured by each thermocouple onto a continuous strip chart of paper. The chart paper was driven by an electric clock type of mechanism. It recorded several days worth of temperature data, then the strip chart was removed, archived, and replaced with a fresh chart. This was in the days before digital and computerized controls were the thing.

This particular recorder was a bit of a beast to work on due to the huge number of small moving mechanical parts. It was also kind of large, so you had to work on it in place in the plant. It was too big to bring back to the shop.

So they sent the new guy out to repair it when it was reported to not be properly advancing the paper by the Operations folks who monitored it. He worked on it for two days, and still had it in pieces. So the shop Foreman decided to give him some help by sending out my friend, a Senior Tech, to help the newbie out. My friend went to the location in the plant and found a pile of parts and pieces. He proceeded to put the recorder back together and had it apparently working. But he told me he had almost a double handful of tiny screws, washers, nuts and bolts left over. Fearing he had obviously overlooked something in the reassembly, he disassembled the recorder and started over. He still wound up with leftover parts. Exasperated, he asked the rookie where all the extra parts came from. The rookie said, with great sincerity, "I was afraid I might drop some of the screws, so I brought out some extras"!

Unfortunately, he had not kept his "extras" separated from the ones he actually removed from the equipment. Everything was all mixed together  ;D.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:18:09 PM by Bill Meeks »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »

The rookie said, with great sincerity, "I was afraid I might drop some of the screws, so I brought out some extras"!

Unfortunately, he had not kept his "extras" separated from the ones he actually removed from the equipment. Everything was all mixed together  ;D.

Back in my Mechanics days, at one particular dealership, Pranking other mechanics was a weekly "thing".
One of the Tranny guys had a car all buttoned up, and was going to start the engine when a passing mechanic pointed to a flex plate sitting on his bench. (for those that may not know, a flex plate replaces a flywheel on an automatic transmission. It connects the Torque Converter to the Crankshaft, and has a ring gear for the starter motor.)
Anyhoo, without even looking, he pulls the transmission. Kind of. No clearance to pull it free. WTF?
He finally looks underneath, and sees the TQ firmly bolted to the flex plate, and now a torn input shaft seal leaking red shit......

Me, I would have looked first.....
Chris.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »

Oh man, the tech pranks back in the day were pretty brutal. Filling someone's air nozzle with baby powder... leaving an extra few check balls in a parts tray... tapping a fender while someone was listening for engine noise or NVH... you definitely learned to double-check your surroundings before jumping to a conclusion. :D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.