ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get the Crest Audio XR20?  (Read 3736 times)

Hassan Siddiqui

• Always learning
Should I get the Crest Audio XR20?
« on: July 22, 2021, 02:33:15 AM »

Hello,

This is my first post and I hope I am doing it right. If not, I will fix it. So I am looking for a mixer that has at least 20 line inputs/direct outs/at least 4 post aux/and 4 subgroup.. I came across many old mixers such as the Mackie 24-8/Soundcraft Ghost/A&H GL2400/Midas Venice 240/Crest Audio XR20 and the APB Dynasonics Pro Rack.

I got a Mackie 24-8 for a few days which looked super clean from the top but started to run into problems just a few days in. Sound leaking into auxiliaries, static on monitor outs and a few groups out, and many more problems. I returned it. It's been over a week now and I still can't seem to find something which is within my budget(sub $2k) and won't give me many problems in the near future. 

I am able to find a Crest XR20 which is at a local store in NYC. It was returned by a customer, a long time ago and has ever since been in a warehouse. Getting almost a brand new open box for $700. I really want to get it as really ticks all the boxes for me, however, I haven't heard great experiences lately about Crest Audios/Peavey customer service recently. So I decided to call a few numbers today to see if I can get any support for the XR20 and all the numbers I got from peaveys website were not able to help me. I basically told them that I am getting this old mixer and is the support, still available for this product and they couldn't say yes or no. Some answered, some didnt. They were like we don't know. It's an old mixer now. Maybe we can maybe we cant. Depends if we still stock on parts etc.

Should i go ahead and get the mixer? Will i really have problems with getting any support later? Will I be wasting my money ?

P.s I would really like to get a APB Pro rack instead but my budget doesnt allow at this point in time. I spoke to the team of APB and they were super helpful which tells you alot about there customer service already. Always answered the calls and replied to emails without any delays.

Thank you for replying.
HS

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Should I get the Crest Audio XR20?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:44:45 AM »

Hello,

This is my first post and I hope I am doing it right. If not, I will fix it. So I am looking for a mixer that has at least 20 line inputs/direct outs/at least 4 post aux/and 4 subgroup.. I came across many old mixers such as the Mackie 24-8/Soundcraft Ghost/A&H GL2400/Midas Venice 240/Crest Audio XR20 and the APB Dynasonics Pro Rack.

I got a Mackie 24-8 for a few days which looked super clean from the top but started to run into problems just a few days in. Sound leaking into auxiliaries, static on monitor outs and a few groups out, and many more problems. I returned it. It's been over a week now and I still can't seem to find something which is within my budget(sub $2k) and won't give me many problems in the near future. 

I am able to find a Crest XR20 which is at a local store in NYC. It was returned by a customer, a long time ago and has ever since been in a warehouse. Getting almost a brand new open box for $700. I really want to get it as really ticks all the boxes for me, however, I haven't heard great experiences lately about Crest Audios/Peavey customer service recently. So I decided to call a few numbers today to see if I can get any support for the XR20 and all the numbers I got from peaveys website were not able to help me. I basically told them that I am getting this old mixer and is the support, still available for this product and they couldn't say yes or no. Some answered, some didnt. They were like we don't know. It's an old mixer now. Maybe we can maybe we cant. Depends if we still stock on parts etc.

Should i go ahead and get the mixer? Will i really have problems with getting any support later? Will I be wasting my money ?

P.s I would really like to get a APB Pro rack instead but my budget doesnt allow at this point in time. I spoke to the team of APB and they were super helpful which tells you alot about there customer service already. Always answered the calls and replied to emails without any delays.

Thank you for replying.

Soundcraft UI24 are $1150 right now.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:47:10 AM »

Hello,

Thank you for replying.

Find a way to get the APB mixer. Fantastic build, great sound, and supported by a company still in business.

With the others, maintenance lurks around every corner, everything else aside.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:02:15 AM »

Find a way to get the APB mixer. Fantastic build, great sound, and supported by a company still in business.

With the others, maintenance lurks around every corner, everything else aside.

I second this notion. APB is the bomb for analog mixers (shy of the big boy touring favorites).

Hassan Siddiqui

• Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »

I second this notion. APB is the bomb for analog mixers (shy of the big boy touring favorites).

Thank you for the input. I was able to get a Midas Venice F24 through reverb for a fairly decent price. $1350 with shipping and anvil case with wheels. Ill check it out when it arrives.

If everything works well, there’s a Big cable order to be put through .. makes me always wonder why the sound community can’t decide to go with a standard so there is less cable clutter. Anyways, excited about the Midas :) :)
HS

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »

If everything works well, there’s a Big cable order to be put through .. makes me always wonder why the sound community can’t decide to go with a standard so there is less cable clutter.

I think they did that already.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

I had an XR20 years ago and used the heck out of it. It was a great mixer for a lot of years, but I don't think I'd buy one these days, or anything else analog. I still see a few out there occasionally that work fine, but it's a crap shoot how long they'll last and if they'll be repairable when they fail. I'd rather use any modern digital mixer, and if it were me, that's where I'd be putting my money. Even an X32 blows the mixers you mention out of the water in terms of functionality, and they're close enough in sound quality that hauling a bunch of outboard with an analog mixer doesn't seem worthwhile. That's just my opinion though.

APB builds nice stuff though. If I wanted something analog, I'd be looking to them.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 08:19:58 PM »

The nice thing about analog mixers is that electronically, they are relatively simple.  If you really want to keep one going, and have a soldering iron, you can generally do most of the service work on them yourself.  But, that being said, there's pretty much no reason I'd want an analog board for road work.  Digital is where it's at.  So much smaller, so much more flexible. So much less cable clutter to deal with.

Even the entry level X32 could be put up against just about any of the big analog boards and be pretty darned close.  Enough so that wanting to deal with the hassle of old analog just doesn't make much sense these days.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »

The XR20 and the APB Pro Rack were kinda the same mixer, right? Designed by the same guy/group?

I used one for a band many years ago and we thought very highly of it. Sounded great, worked great, had zero problems. I've considered picking one up for cheap for my home studio.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 08:17:42 PM »

The XR20 and the APB Pro Rack were kinda the same mixer, right? Designed by the same guy/group?

I used one for a band many years ago and we thought very highly of it. Sounded great, worked great, had zero problems. I've considered picking one up for cheap for my home studio.

My understanding is when Peavey bought Crest, naturally various
people went different ways.

I used Crest consoles a lot for two years, 1999-2001 timeframe.  The Century series were rock solid, sounded good enough, and were affordable.  I did quite a few rider shows with the usual suspects listed and not one time in two years was a console rented in.

Crest 9001 is still a favorite sub amp if it fits the application.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 08:17:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.