Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Should I get the Crest Audio XR20?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mike Pyle:

--- Quote from: Hassan Siddiqui on July 23, 2021, 02:39:02 PM ---If everything works well, thereís a Big cable order to be put through .. makes me always wonder why the sound community canít decide to go with a standard so there is less cable clutter.

--- End quote ---

I think they did that already.

Brian Adams:
I had an XR20 years ago and used the heck out of it. It was a great mixer for a lot of years, but I don't think I'd buy one these days, or anything else analog. I still see a few out there occasionally that work fine, but it's a crap shoot how long they'll last and if they'll be repairable when they fail. I'd rather use any modern digital mixer, and if it were me, that's where I'd be putting my money. Even an X32 blows the mixers you mention out of the water in terms of functionality, and they're close enough in sound quality that hauling a bunch of outboard with an analog mixer doesn't seem worthwhile. That's just my opinion though.

APB builds nice stuff though. If I wanted something analog, I'd be looking to them.

Brian Jojade:
The nice thing about analog mixers is that electronically, they are relatively simple.  If you really want to keep one going, and have a soldering iron, you can generally do most of the service work on them yourself.  But, that being said, there's pretty much no reason I'd want an analog board for road work.  Digital is where it's at.  So much smaller, so much more flexible. So much less cable clutter to deal with.

Even the entry level X32 could be put up against just about any of the big analog boards and be pretty darned close.  Enough so that wanting to deal with the hassle of old analog just doesn't make much sense these days.

Tim Weaver:
The XR20 and the APB Pro Rack were kinda the same mixer, right? Designed by the same guy/group?

I used one for a band many years ago and we thought very highly of it. Sounded great, worked great, had zero problems. I've considered picking one up for cheap for my home studio.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on July 24, 2021, 01:24:06 AM ---The XR20 and the APB Pro Rack were kinda the same mixer, right? Designed by the same guy/group?

I used one for a band many years ago and we thought very highly of it. Sounded great, worked great, had zero problems. I've considered picking one up for cheap for my home studio.

--- End quote ---

My understanding is when Peavey bought Crest, naturally various
people went different ways.

I used Crest consoles a lot for two years, 1999-2001 timeframe.  The Century series were rock solid, sounded good enough, and were affordable.  I did quite a few rider shows with the usual suspects listed and not one time in two years was a console rented in.

Crest 9001 is still a favorite sub amp if it fits the application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version