Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Should I get the Crest Audio XR20?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on July 24, 2021, 08:17:42 PM ---My understanding is when Peavey bought Crest, naturally various
people went different ways.

I used Crest consoles a lot for two years, 1999-2001 timeframe.  The Century series were rock solid, sounded good enough, and were affordable.  I did quite a few rider shows with the usual suspects listed and not one time in two years was a console rented in.

Crest 9001 is still a favorite sub amp if it fits the application.

--- End quote ---

Yeah me too. We had a Crest Century GT and a VX. The VX was a massive 56 channel dude. Heavy beast. We took these desks to the B circuit festivals instead of the Midas XL4/XL200 set we also had at the time. Nobody complained. Back in those days we were routinely doing two FOH desks to flip-flop acts on so we had two large frame "nice" desks out front. Usually a Soundcraft SM12/SM20 set on stage.

Steve Payne:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on July 24, 2021, 01:24:06 AM ---The XR20 and the APB Pro Rack were kinda the same mixer, right? Designed by the same guy/group?

I used one for a band many years ago and we thought very highly of it. Sounded great, worked great, had zero problems. I've considered picking one up for cheap for my home studio.

--- End quote ---

XR20 was designed, built and brought to market post PV takeover and somewhat under duress by the same design team that built the large frame Crest Century consoles.  It was this final project that was the writing on the walls for them for what the future of Crest consoles would look like under Peavey.  The team bid their farewells and started APB (Chuck Augustowski, John Petrucelli (RIP) and Taz Boghal).  The APB Spectra, ProRacks, MixSwitch and others were the pinnacle of their collective years of experience and the desire to start from scratch and build great sounding, bullet proof live mixing consoles.  They largely succeeded. I owned and used all of these various consoles on hundreds of shows.
Personal assessment:  Crest Century=tremendous value for money.  Good sounding, good functionality, well built, reliable.  Slipped in on one off riders time and again where more upscale mixers were speced.  /. Crest XR20=cheaply built.  Spartan but functional layout.  Bought this based on my great experiences with the Century consoles.  So disappointed in it I sold it within 6 months.  Considered it on par with Peavey and Mackie.  /. APB - a delight.  Sounded terrific.  Design was spectacular.  Build quality excellent.  We owned and used everything in their line.  I think that their product and pricing were a center field home run.  Too bad they were crushed by the inevitable digital snowball rumbling down the hill.

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on July 24, 2021, 08:17:42 PM ---My understanding is when Peavey bought Crest, naturally various
people went different ways.

I used Crest consoles a lot for two years, 1999-2001 timeframe.  The Century series were rock solid, sounded good enough, and were affordable.  I did quite a few rider shows with the usual suspects listed and not one time in two years was a console rented in.

Crest 9001 is still a favorite sub amp if it fits the application.

--- End quote ---
Since I was working at Peavey back then I know a little about it. I even spent time up at Crest on the team kicking the tires before the purchase.  Crest was not bought out because they were so successful. Hartley used money that was earmarked for another project but couldn't resist picking up Crest on sale.

--- Quote from: Steve Payne on July 28, 2021, 10:04:38 AM ---XR20 was designed, built and brought to market post PV takeover and somewhat under duress by the same design team that built the large frame Crest Century consoles.  It was this final project that was the writing on the walls for them for what the future of Crest consoles would look like under Peavey.

--- End quote ---
I can imagine some duress from adjusting to the Peavey corporate design discipline. I will not debate the pros and cons of the two company's approaches. I learned more than I wanted to know about Crest's after the purchase. It is worth note who purchased whom.

--- Quote --- The team bid their farewells and started APB (Chuck Augustowski, John Petrucelli (RIP) and Tax Boghal). 

--- End quote ---
that isn't the full list but I remained friendly with APB, at least the ones still alive (RIP JP).

--- Quote ---The APB Spectra, ProRacks, MixSwitch and others were the pinnacle of their collective years of experience and the desire to start from scratch and build great sounding, bullet proof live mixing consoles.  They largely succeeded. I owned and used all of these various consoles on hundreds of shows.
Personal assessment:  Crest Century=tremendous value for money.  Good sounding, good functionality, well built, reliable.  Slipped in on one off riders time and again where more upscale mixers were speced.  /. Crest XR20=cheaply built.  Spartan but functional layout.  Bought this based on my great experiences with the Century consoles.  So disappointed in it I sold it within 6 months.  Considered it on par with Peavey and Mackie.  /. APB - a delight.  Sounded terrific.  Design was spectacular.  Build quality excellent.  We owned and used everything in their line.  I think that their product and pricing were a center field home run.  Too bad they were crushed by the inevitable digital snowball rumbling down the hill.

--- End quote ---
I spent too much time trying to drag them kicking and screaming into the digital age...  I designed the digital meter used inside the ProDesk master section, but I no longer see that console series offered on their website.

I was working on a digitally controlled analog automatic mixer with them but they were dragging their feet on the development no doubt distracted by market shifts. I ended up building my own working prototype of the digital guts to develop the software with. Finally after a couple years in, they abandoned the project as their "analog only" customer base faded (the Prospec 2U6M2S looks lot like our AM project but with the AM features stripped out). I take no pleasure in being correct about the low cost digital tsunami.

JR

PS: JP (RIP) was an engineer's engineer, I miss our discussions about subtleties of console design.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Steve Payne on July 28, 2021, 10:04:38 AM ---XR20 was designed, built and brought to market post PV takeover and somewhat under duress by the same design team that built the large frame Crest Century consoles.  It was this final project that was the writing on the walls for them for what the future of Crest consoles would look like under Peavey.  The team bid their farewells and started APB (Chuck Augustowski, John Petrucelli (RIP) and Tax Boghal).  The APB Spectra, ProRacks, MixSwitch and others were the pinnacle of their collective years of experience and the desire to start from scratch and build great sounding, bullet proof live mixing consoles.  They largely succeeded. I owned and used all of these various consoles on hundreds of shows.

--- End quote ---

It hurt me to watch such enthusiastic talented people build basically soon-to-be obsolete top quality gear. 

To J. R.'s comment about digitally controlled analog, I vaguely remember speaking to Chuck about the project at a trade show.  I'm pretty sure I also spoke to M. L. about, and touched, a Showconsole (is that that the right name?)

Those were crazy trade shows.  Meyer rolled out their first line array at a show and it was a disaster (secondhand, I was working elsewhere on site).  This was after John M. published a paper on why line arrays should not be built (V-DOSC was drinking everyone else's milk shake at that time and Jeff was the devil incarnate for insisting on locked down factory DSP and amps),  PM-1D just appeared.

It was a hot mess. You had two new dominating, game changing technologies appearing at the same time.  Crazy times, indeed.

doug johnson2:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on July 28, 2021, 12:53:25 PM ---PS: JP (RIP) was an engineer's engineer, I miss our discussions about subtleties of console design.

--- End quote ---
And a true human being.  Long after he had left Crest, I was rehabbing a Century VX.  I asked a question on this forum and he personally contact me.  We had several email discussions and he helped me immeasurably.  Not only did he point me in the right direction for finding parts, he actually sent a few that he had laying around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version