Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Should I get the Crest Audio XR20?

(1/4) > >>

Hassan Siddiqui:
Hello,

This is my first post and I hope I am doing it right. If not, I will fix it. So I am looking for a mixer that has at least 20 line inputs/direct outs/at least 4 post aux/and 4 subgroup.. I came across many old mixers such as the Mackie 24-8/Soundcraft Ghost/A&H GL2400/Midas Venice 240/Crest Audio XR20 and the APB Dynasonics Pro Rack.

I got a Mackie 24-8 for a few days which looked super clean from the top but started to run into problems just a few days in. Sound leaking into auxiliaries, static on monitor outs and a few groups out, and many more problems. I returned it. It's been over a week now and I still can't seem to find something which is within my budget(sub $2k) and won't give me many problems in the near future. 

I am able to find a Crest XR20 which is at a local store in NYC. It was returned by a customer, a long time ago and has ever since been in a warehouse. Getting almost a brand new open box for $700. I really want to get it as really ticks all the boxes for me, however, I haven't heard great experiences lately about Crest Audios/Peavey customer service recently. So I decided to call a few numbers today to see if I can get any support for the XR20 and all the numbers I got from peaveys website were not able to help me. I basically told them that I am getting this old mixer and is the support, still available for this product and they couldn't say yes or no. Some answered, some didnt. They were like we don't know. It's an old mixer now. Maybe we can maybe we cant. Depends if we still stock on parts etc.

Should i go ahead and get the mixer? Will i really have problems with getting any support later? Will I be wasting my money ?

P.s I would really like to get a APB Pro rack instead but my budget doesnt allow at this point in time. I spoke to the team of APB and they were super helpful which tells you alot about there customer service already. Always answered the calls and replied to emails without any delays.

Thank you for replying.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Hassan Siddiqui on July 22, 2021, 02:33:15 AM ---Hello,

This is my first post and I hope I am doing it right. If not, I will fix it. So I am looking for a mixer that has at least 20 line inputs/direct outs/at least 4 post aux/and 4 subgroup.. I came across many old mixers such as the Mackie 24-8/Soundcraft Ghost/A&H GL2400/Midas Venice 240/Crest Audio XR20 and the APB Dynasonics Pro Rack.

I got a Mackie 24-8 for a few days which looked super clean from the top but started to run into problems just a few days in. Sound leaking into auxiliaries, static on monitor outs and a few groups out, and many more problems. I returned it. It's been over a week now and I still can't seem to find something which is within my budget(sub $2k) and won't give me many problems in the near future. 

I am able to find a Crest XR20 which is at a local store in NYC. It was returned by a customer, a long time ago and has ever since been in a warehouse. Getting almost a brand new open box for $700. I really want to get it as really ticks all the boxes for me, however, I haven't heard great experiences lately about Crest Audios/Peavey customer service recently. So I decided to call a few numbers today to see if I can get any support for the XR20 and all the numbers I got from peaveys website were not able to help me. I basically told them that I am getting this old mixer and is the support, still available for this product and they couldn't say yes or no. Some answered, some didnt. They were like we don't know. It's an old mixer now. Maybe we can maybe we cant. Depends if we still stock on parts etc.

Should i go ahead and get the mixer? Will i really have problems with getting any support later? Will I be wasting my money ?

P.s I would really like to get a APB Pro rack instead but my budget doesnt allow at this point in time. I spoke to the team of APB and they were super helpful which tells you alot about there customer service already. Always answered the calls and replied to emails without any delays.

Thank you for replying.

--- End quote ---

Soundcraft UI24 are $1150 right now.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Hassan Siddiqui on July 22, 2021, 02:33:15 AM ---Hello,

Thank you for replying.

--- End quote ---

Find a way to get the APB mixer. Fantastic build, great sound, and supported by a company still in business.

With the others, maintenance lurks around every corner, everything else aside.

Rich Frembes:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on July 22, 2021, 02:47:10 AM ---Find a way to get the APB mixer. Fantastic build, great sound, and supported by a company still in business.

With the others, maintenance lurks around every corner, everything else aside.

--- End quote ---

I second this notion. APB is the bomb for analog mixers (shy of the big boy touring favorites).

Hassan Siddiqui:

--- Quote from: Rich Frembes on July 22, 2021, 10:02:15 AM ---I second this notion. APB is the bomb for analog mixers (shy of the big boy touring favorites).

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the input. I was able to get a Midas Venice F24 through reverb for a fairly decent price. $1350 with shipping and anvil case with wheels. Ill check it out when it arrives.

If everything works well, thereís a Big cable order to be put through .. makes me always wonder why the sound community canít decide to go with a standard so there is less cable clutter. Anyways, excited about the Midas :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version