ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice: PRX612m/ VRX918s / SRX818sp DJ Setup  (Read 370 times)

Mike Sircee

Advice: PRX612m/ VRX918s / SRX818sp DJ Setup
« on: July 21, 2021, 05:32:11 pm »

I've been a fly on the wall for a while reading up on some great advice here and now I'm looking to get some direction of my own on the best way to setup my equipment with future add-ons.

I'm have two VRX918s with four PRX612m.  I was advised that the Behringer NX6000D would be the best amp option within my budget and had someone familiar with the amp and VRX subs swing by and setup the amp.  I'm new to all of this, so I'm putting faith in someone else's "knowledge" that they set it up for maximum results.

I recently ran this setup at an outdoor setting with a DJ ( electronic / House) and approx. 350 people. It sounded good.
...although it felt like it was lacking something.

I've read several posts talking about it not being a good idea mixing different brands of speakers, especially subs as they don't play well together.

My questions and concerns:

• Are there any issues with running the VRX918 subs with the PRX612 tops? 
  • Knowing that the VRX subs are Line array cabinets, will they experience any drops in quality if they were placed on the ground opposed to flying them?
  • If I added a SRX828sp cabinet, would it play well with the two VRX918's and four PRX612m tops? 

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Le

Re: Advice: PRX612m/ VRX918s / SRX818sp DJ Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 05:53:12 pm »

Welcome,

1. No, they're just tops and subs, you can run Yamaha tops with QSC subs and they could technically still play together if you get the crossover ok. The only time it matters is to keep the same tops and/or the same subs uniform, for example don't run a mix of QSC and JBL tops at the same time and don't run Yamaha subs with EV subs.

2. No, you can groundstack them, they're basically the SRX718 subs with flyware installed.

3. IMO Maybe, since they're subs I don't think it would matter since they're just doing the low end of the music.

What do you mean by lacking? More bass or more clarity on the tops? I'm reading that you have 4 tops, hopefully you aren't running 2 per side?

Mike Sircee

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:30 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply,

Lacking a good solid low end punch, but that could just be me being critical.

We hung the four tops in a row, 8' off the ground  spaced about 4' from each other with the subs directly below them
 on the ground.

If I was to add a SRX828sp to this setup, what would be the best amp setting running the two VRX918s?

adding the SRX828sp and keeping them down below, I could fly the VRX918 above them or would it be best to keep them all stacked together?

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 08:53:45 pm »

I would start at 100hz LPF and volume to taste, I would center cluster the subs if possible to avoid the power alley effect, no point in flying subs.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 02:50:06 am »

We hung the four tops in a row, 8' off the ground  spaced about 4' from each other with the subs directly below them
 on the ground.

That is possibly the worst way to deploy tops.  Expect massive comb filtering.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Sircee

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 04:48:52 am »

That is possibly the worst way to deploy tops.  Expect massive comb filtering.

and of course now I had to google "Comb Filtering"   

Wow....Learned something incredibly new today. Thank you.
 I listened to a seasoned DJ on where to place these tops and now I need to rethink the entire setup.

What is the best placement for the four prx612 tops?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 06:06:45 am »

I listened to a seasoned DJ on where to place these tops and now I need to rethink the entire setup.

Nothing against DJs - been there done that myself...and still do on occasion - but probably 95% of "professional" DJs have no clue what they're doing in terms of the mechanics of live audio.

Generally speaking you want to avoid your speakers overlapping coverage areas.  Not only does this cause comb filtering, it also causes "mush" resulting from the sound from different speakers reaching your ears at slightly different times.  Unfortunately your speakers have a 90 degree horizontal coverage pattern and thus aren't really intended to be used in clusters.

If it were me I'd look at one of three options:

- only use 2 prx boxes - one per side and aimed appropriately for your venue.

- use all 4 prx boxes only in very wide venues, set up two per side and splayed to avoid overlap in coverage.

- sell your 4 prx boxes and replace them with a pair of higher output alternatives (SRX8XX or better) and use as mentioned above.

The physics of sound should always drive your first choice in deployment, departing from there as needed for logistics, sight lines, budget, etc.  Hope this helps!

Mike Sircee

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 06:10:28 pm »

Hey Jeff, I really appreciate the input..

So you can get a visual of the setup......we did a  build out  from an old Cattle Trailer and made the roof into the DJ stage platform. the first level, for the most part is open on all four sides. the two VRX918s subs are placed (about 3' off the ground) in the center of the trailer facing the "dance floor"  The tops are mounted off the top vertical rail, spaced 4' apart.  The DJ has their own monitors up top.

I reached out to him (seasoned DJ) today and casually mentioned that there was some concern about comb filtering and our speaker placement.

Well I guess he's a 5%er ;-) 

He said he did his best with the tops that we have, which have a  90 h spread.  The best option would be to set them up in the monitor position which would give you a 50 spread,  spaced out 4' from each other as this would reduce the overlapping significantly.

Laying out the tops this way the pattern would now be 50 horizontal / 90 vertical.  placed 8' off the ground with a slight downward pitch.

thoughts?

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 11:51:57 pm »

thoughts?

Fewer, higher quality speakers or subs beats more, lower quality every time. 

Speaker coverage is both simple (point speaker at floor, that part of the floor gets loud) and complex (even SPL level and tonality, high intelligibility across the whole listening plane). 

Start with one of the free modeling programs, like EAW Resolution, EASE Focus, Danley Direct, etc.  Start with a 2 or 3 octave average at 4kHz, 250Hz, and 50Hz.  Compare various, similar speakers - different heights, rotated horns, etc.  Note how vertical pattern affects coverage vs distance. 

Turn on phase interaction, like in Danley Direct, and narrow the bandwidth.  You'll be able to see comb filtering. 

Try to make the 4kHz, 250Hz, and 50Hz SPL plots be as close to identical as possible.  It's not easy :) 

Subwoofers - you want either flown with the main speakers, or on the ground.  3' off the ground means you'll get a notch (comb filtering's second cousin) in the frequency response, and the null will shift based on distance and height. 

If you have some photos and dimensions, one of us can do a quick model with even similar speakers, to get you in the right direction.  You still should spend a couple hours at least in one of the free modeling software programs.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Sircee

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:29:46 am »

Fewer, higher quality speakers or subs beats more, lower quality every time. 

If you have some photos and dimensions, one of us can do a quick model with even similar speakers, to get you in the right direction.  You still should spend a couple hours at least in one of the free modeling software programs.

Appreciate the input Caleb,  All we have to work with are  four prx612m, two VRX918s and possibly able to add one SRX828sp.

Here's a rough sketch of what we have.   

You mentioned free modeling software programs?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:50:08 am by Mike Sircee »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:29:46 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.