Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Advice: PRX612m/ VRX918s / SRX818sp DJ Setup

(1/5) > >>

Mike Sircee:
I've been a fly on the wall for a while reading up on some great advice here and now I'm looking to get some direction of my own on the best way to setup my equipment with future add-ons.

I'm have two VRX918s with four PRX612m.  I was advised that the Behringer NX6000D would be the best amp option within my budget and had someone familiar with the amp and VRX subs swing by and setup the amp.  I'm new to all of this, so I'm putting faith in someone else's "knowledge" that they set it up for maximum results.

I recently ran this setup at an outdoor setting with a DJ ( electronic / House) and approx. 350 people. It sounded good.
...although it felt like it was lacking something.

I've read several posts talking about it not being a good idea mixing different brands of speakers, especially subs as they don't play well together.

My questions and concerns:

* Are there any issues with running the VRX918 subs with the PRX612 tops? 
* Knowing that the VRX subs are Line array cabinets, will they experience any drops in quality if they were placed on the ground opposed to flying them?
* If I added a SRX828sp cabinet, would it play well with the two VRX918's and four PRX612m tops? 
Thanks in advance!

Thomas Le:
Welcome,

1. No, they're just tops and subs, you can run Yamaha tops with QSC subs and they could technically still play together if you get the crossover ok. The only time it matters is to keep the same tops and/or the same subs uniform, for example don't run a mix of QSC and JBL tops at the same time and don't run Yamaha subs with EV subs.

2. No, you can groundstack them, they're basically the SRX718 subs with flyware installed.

3. IMO Maybe, since they're subs I don't think it would matter since they're just doing the low end of the music.

What do you mean by lacking? More bass or more clarity on the tops? I'm reading that you have 4 tops, hopefully you aren't running 2 per side?

Mike Sircee:
Thanks for the quick reply,

Lacking a good solid low end punch, but that could just be me being critical.

We hung the four tops in a row, 8' off the ground  spaced about 4' from each other with the subs directly below them
 on the ground.

If I was to add a SRX828sp to this setup, what would be the best amp setting running the two VRX918s?

adding the SRX828sp and keeping them down below, I could fly the VRX918 above them or would it be best to keep them all stacked together?

Thomas Le:
I would start at 100hz LPF and volume to taste, I would center cluster the subs if possible to avoid the power alley effect, no point in flying subs.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Mike Sircee on July 21, 2021, 06:23:30 PM ---
We hung the four tops in a row, 8' off the ground  spaced about 4' from each other with the subs directly below them
 on the ground.

--- End quote ---

That is possibly the worst way to deploy tops.  Expect massive comb filtering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version