Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Williamstown Theatre Festival Sound Crew Walks Out

<< < (3/5) > >>

Steve-White:
I side 100% with the crew on this one.

Tim McCulloch:
I posted this on another site, but it seems appropriate here, too.

"Bring down the curtain on shit shows. I said in another thread that live entertainment is the most emotionally, physically, and monetarily abusive of any industry I've worked in. "Tradition" is more than a song in Fiddler, it's a way to ensure that new people in theater get the same shitty hazing in conditions, hours, and general misery, at the hands of those who proceeded them. And "we" have perpetuated this b.s. myth because we, too, were victims and part of how we process that is to inflict it on others to rationalize it as 'normal'.

The business of art exists because without it, art would be pretty much a one-on-one thing, or at best "to-a-few". Without commercialization, making any kind of living as an artist of any kind, without a patron, king or duke would be nearly impossible.

What must be done is for organizations to stop making 'art' with the pretense that it is NOT a business. It is. And it costs a lot of money to throw people at a business, compensate and treat them fairly, and not abuse the concepts of internships and apprenticeships in the process."

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 23, 2021, 06:08:14 PM ---
What must be done is for organizations to stop making 'art' with the pretense that it is NOT a business. It is. And it costs a lot of money to throw people at a business, compensate and treat them fairly, and not abuse the concepts of internships and apprenticeships in the process."

--- End quote ---

100%!  It's pretty amazing that how much talent and experience certain crew members must have to be able to put a show together.  Their skillset has to bridge across many normal disciplines.  Any of those jobs pay a heck of a lot more and have far more regular work schedules.  It's somewhat mind blowing that you have higher demands and crappier and unpredictable work schedules yet expect to pay less for the work.  It's just crazy.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 23, 2021, 06:08:14 PM ---I posted this on another site, but it seems appropriate here, too.

"Bring down the curtain on shit shows. I said in another thread that live entertainment is the most emotionally, physically, and monetarily abusive of any industry I've worked in. "Tradition" is more than a song in Fiddler, it's a way to ensure that new people in theater get the same shitty hazing in conditions, hours, and general misery, at the hands of those who proceeded them. And "we" have perpetuated this b.s. myth because we, too, were victims and part of how we process that is to inflict it on others to rationalize it as 'normal'.

The business of art exists because without it, art would be pretty much a one-on-one thing, or at best "to-a-few". Without commercialization, making any kind of living as an artist of any kind, without a patron, king or duke would be nearly impossible.

--- End quote ---

I think college athletes are up there, playing for 'free' and making the colleges millions.  They are just now getting some rights in that regard.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on July 23, 2021, 09:33:27 PM ---I think college athletes are up there, playing for 'free' and making the colleges millions.  They are just now getting some rights in that regard.

--- End quote ---

The college athletes on scholarship are basically indentured servants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version