Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Williamstown Theatre Festival Sound Crew Walks Out

(1/5) > >>

Justice C. Bigler:
I heard about this through the grapevine a week or so ago. But this is the first account that I have heard about the actual issues that caused the sound crew to walk out.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-07-20/williamstown-theatre-festival-sound-crew-walks-out

I've worked with several people who formerly worked at Williamstown over the years, and I have not heard any good stories about their experiences from any of them.  This one in particular sounds even worse than I had heard preciously.

Justice C. Bigler:
Here's another story from the local paper with a few more details:

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/local/off-stage-drama-brings-better-pay-work-shifts-for-williamstown-theatre-festival-crews/article_6de30a04-e99c-11eb-b2ad-07c450fa61e8.html

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on July 21, 2021, 02:17:32 PM ---{...} https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-07-20/williamstown-theatre-festival-sound-crew-walks-out {...}

--- End quote ---

I just don't get it; how do the actors have this figured out but us technicians don't? There are a couple local companies here in the same boat, with full Equity casts (and even AFM-affiliate musicians) but non-union technicians (working ridiculous hours for scarcely more than minimum wage). Not that any union is perfect, mind you, but...yeesh.

-Russ

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on July 22, 2021, 12:43:10 PM ---I just don't get it; how do the actors have this figured out but us technicians don't? There are a couple local companies here in the same boat, with full Equity casts (and even AFM-affiliate musicians) but non-union technicians (working ridiculous hours for scarcely more than minimum wage). Not that any union is perfect, mind you, but...yeesh.

-Russ

--- End quote ---
Because actors are prima donnas by nature and make sure they are taken care of. :o

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on July 22, 2021, 12:43:10 PM ---I just don't get it; how do the actors have this figured out but us technicians don't? There are a couple local companies here in the same boat, with full Equity casts (and even AFM-affiliate musicians) but non-union technicians (working ridiculous hours for scarcely more than minimum wage). Not that any union is perfect, mind you, but...yeesh.

--- End quote ---
Back when I was in college, the second time, I managed to win the regional sound design competition for the KCACTF theatre design competition in 2007. That got me sent to Washington D.C. to compete in the national level competition. One of the prizes for winning the national sound design competition was a design internship at Williams town Theatre Festival. Even back then, no one wanted that prize and everyone talked about how bad an experience the Williamstown internship was going to be. Luckily I had already been hired to work at the Utah Shakespeare Festival for that summer, which was an amazing job and actual great opportunity.

These regional theatres have built their whole business model on hiring college students and "professional" workers fresh out of college, with little to no professional work experience. They pass it off as a "great opportunity" to get experience and network with professional designers. They're kind of the stepping stone before you jump on a bus and truck one-nighter tour to be abused even more.

I would guess that the IA doesn't have the man power to try to organize all these little pre-professional regional theatres, so they concentrate on the Broadway shows in NYC and on tour, and the larger professional arts groups in the major metro areas. Williamstown is in the far NW corner of Massachusetts, and thus outside of the primary attention of the IA in Boston or other large cities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version