ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: RGB LED tape strip  (Read 8944 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
RGB LED tape strip
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:57:12 PM »

I'm designing a set piece for a client and I'm looking for a good place to buy LED RGB tape or similar. I only have 1 1/2" behind the plexi surface to squeeze the LEDs into so I thought the tape would work. 

Creative Lighting has what I am looking for. Just wondered if there was a cheaper source.

http://www.creativelightings.com/RGB-LED-Flex-Strips-12vdc-WP-300-Meter-p/cl-frs5050wpdd-5m-12v-rgb.htm

Oh, and it must have a DMX controller option so I can change the colors from a console.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
Re: RGB LED tape strip
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »

I'm designing a set piece for a client and I'm looking for a good place to buy LED RGB tape or similar. I only have 1 1/2" behind the plexi surface to squeeze the LEDs into so I thought the tape would work. 

Creative Lighting has what I am looking for. Just wondered if there was a cheaper source.

http://www.creativelightings.com/RGB-LED-Flex-Strips-12vdc-WP-300-Meter-p/cl-frs5050wpdd-5m-12v-rgb.htm

Oh, and it must have a DMX controller option so I can change the colors from a console.

Craig

Craig,

This stuff is everywhere here in Montreal.  Little LED lighting resellers seem to be popping up all over which sell a range of LED products.  We played with the Elation stuff and well as some off-brand tape.  I think it was under $100/roll, but I don't remember if they were 3m or 5m.  I'd look locally and see if there isn't anyone importing this stuff by the container-full.  I'm sure you can get it online too, but I liked being able to see the product.

For the controller/power supply, there are also an abundance of options.  Elation has some cool multichannel units that can do multiple runs and support RGB and RGBW/A and different voltages.  On the cheap end, they are all very similar.  DC +/- input plus RGB and Common outputs to the strip.

Even Amazon has some resellers (search LED RGB tape).

Good luck!

Sasha Marine

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:39:53 AM »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »

For budget tape I go to holidaycoro. Look for their dumb rgb products.  If I want fancier, superbrightleds.com.  I use both of these in lots of scenery.  I'm rehabbing a Cinderella coach with the holiday Coro pixels this year.   It's not crazy bright but it's bright enough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »

For budget tape I go to holidaycoro. Look for their dumb rgb products.  If I want fancier, superbrightleds.com.  I use both of these in lots of scenery.  I'm rehabbing a Cinderella coach with the holiday Coro pixels this year.   It's not crazy bright but it's bright enough. 

Direct from china via Ebay is where I get mine from. It takes a bit longer to arrive, around 3-4 weeks. About 7 times cheaper than the source you listed.

example of LED strip seller

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »

Often times I can't wait 3 to 4 weeks, but yes, many American sellers are just reselling bulk Chinese imports at significant markup.   A convenience I'm willing to pay for many times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 12:38:13 AM »

superbrightled and usledsupply. Both decent products and prices.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

richard_cooper

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »

Craig

Craig,

A year ago we built a similar sounding set, that involved 20 or so pieces like this. We ended up just buying of eBay as budget was a real issue. out of 50 or so 5m roles I don't remember there being any faults, but we were definitely supplied from two different batches, as there was a noticeable difference in the, IRRC, red channel.

The interesting bit was the mishmash of different controllers we had, and how poor they could be at dimming. Most had a dreadful step off at the bottom of the range. We tried using the Enttec Aleph CV driver https://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=73520, the Milford Instruments 9ch PWM board http://milinst.co.uk/downloads/1-574.pdf, and the RC4 Dim2, older version of https://www.theatrewireless.com/shop/rc4magic-900mhz/900-dmx2dim/ all of which did not give satisfactory dimming. We were lent a couple of these eldoLED LINEARdrive 720D https://www.eldoled.com/led-drivers/lineardrive/4-24-amps-constant-voltage-led-drivers/dc-720d/ which were much MUCH better. I don't know availability over there but they were competitively priced once you'd supplied a PSU with the Enttec. Of course the dimming might not be a concern for you, but that's my experience.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »

Guys, this thread is from 2011.  It was bumped by a spammer whose post was deleted.  Move along - nothing to see here...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:58 AM »

I buy from environmentallights.com almost exclusively.  Their dimmers are designed for studio sets so that there will be no noticeable flicker on camera.  They're also the ONLY supplier I've been able to find whose LED strip, DMX driver, and PSU are all UL listed, which is a major consideration, especially on a construction project. 

I've used cheap fresh-off-the-boat-from-China product in the past and have had nothing but bad luck. I can't recall a single product from Environmental Lights that has failed.  They also have very good technical design support to help you get the correct controllers and power supply for your project. 

We've done a dozen or so LED projects including some high-profile installs like below. This is the sort of thing where it has to work right the first time and for many years to come, and the cheap stuff just doesn't cut it. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 12:10:05 PM »

Solid Apollo has a comprehensive line of products.  Not the cheapest, but good quality and support.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »

Solid Apollo has a comprehensive line of products.  Not the cheapest, but good quality and support.

Hey Dave, not sure if you caught that this is a zombie thread from 2011, but otherwise yes!  Coincidentally I'm working on a project with the Chauvet Epix Flex tape as I write this.  Not the cheapest either but so far so good...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.