ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-Pac TU -- "mixing" on Armonia  (Read 623 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Qu-Pac TU -- "mixing" on Armonia
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 10:36:30 pm »

In my experience if there are 2 consoles at FOH it is either the support act or the show uses 2 consoles.

Mac

I remember when I first saw an M7-CL. "That right there is the end of 4Ks and racks full of dbx and spx for openers". 
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Bob Stone

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 11:29:05 pm »

In my experience if there are 2 consoles at FOH it is either the support act or the show uses 2 consoles.

Mac

Maybe that's what I've been seeing, most of the big shows I've been at there has been more than one console, a few times a pair of identical ones or sometimes same type but smaller frame...can't say I've operated at that level or had the chance to talk to the guys, so who knows if they're redundancy or more channels or other acts or whatnot.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 01:49:33 am »

No, it's not possible to write flawless software or firmware. Period. {...}

...hence my use of the qualifier "close to". Nothing is perfect, in software or circuit design, but the simpler the device or software, the closer you can get.

{...}
Given the software is layered on top of the hardware, it's just another thing to fail. Yes, moving components fail and at least with a digital console the moving parts aren't in the signal path they're just controlling the digital aspects...but losing a channel or even a master on an analog console doesn't leave you dead in the water, use other channels or an aux/sub...a firmware problem on the other hand can tank the entire board in one shot.
{...}

There are plenty of failures that would render an analogue console inoperative, too. Mercifully, neither they nor firmware failure are particularly common (with a few notable exceptions), while knob degradation is almost guaranteed. Plus, as others have mentioned, if we're talking about back-ups (i.e. something that, ideally, gets tested more often than it gets used), I'd much rather be relying on a device that has a few points of catastrophic failure over something with a whole bunch of points of gradual but inevitable decline.

{...} Besides, any skilled audio engineer can still get a decent sound without outboard using a small analog board, won't be the same but it will get you through most gigs....{...}

Speaking personally, I've done plenty of simple-seeming corporate events where a three-band EQ (even with mid sweep!) would not have gotten me close to the GBF I needed to deal with the mumbler wearing a tie-clip mic standing beside (or, on a really bad day, in front of) the PA.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 01:49:33 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.