Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Submitted for your consideration

<< < (4/4)

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Bob Stone on July 19, 2021, 10:58:44 AM ---I wonder if at some point, if you stack enough boxes side by side, the comb filtering would end up being so absurd that it would become unnoticeable. Anyone ever model a dozen point sources side by side?

--- End quote ---
Bob,

There is little difference between the comb filtering in a vertical line array and a horizontal line array, other than the orientation.

The KF 750 is nominally a 35 x 35 degree virtual point source cabinet.
Attached are simulations using Danley Direct with SH25, a 25x25 degree virtual point source cabinet, a single and 10 wide.

The 3dB loss per doubling of distance (due to comb filtering) compared to 6dB with a "properly arrayed" system has positive and negative implications.

There are more finger lobes, and some "checkering" in level with the 10 wide configuration.
In terms of average front to back SPL coverage, the horizontal flat-front gets the job done, if the goal is narrow horizontal coverage, loud at the back with a ground stack.

Art

Bob Stone:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on July 19, 2021, 06:24:45 PM ---Bob,

There is little difference between the comb filtering in a vertical line array and a horizontal line array, other than the orientation.

The KF 750 is nominally a 35 x 35 degree virtual point source cabinet.
Attached are simulations using Danley Direct with SH25, a 25x25 degree virtual point source cabinet, a single and 10 wide.

The 3dB loss per doubling of distance (due to comb filtering) compared to 6dB with a "properly arrayed" system has positive and negative implications.

There are more finger lobes, and some "checkering" in level with the 10 wide configuration.
In terms of average front to back SPL coverage, the horizontal flat-front gets the job done, if the goal is narrow horizontal coverage, loud at the back with a ground stack.

Art

--- End quote ---

Yeah, guess that makes sense...certainly an interesting way of getting some throw.

drew gandy:

--- Quote from: Bob Stone on July 19, 2021, 10:58:44 AM ---I wonder if at some point, if you stack enough boxes side by side, the comb filtering would end up being so absurd that it would become unnoticeable. Anyone ever model a dozen point sources side by side?

--- End quote ---

I call that the Bose effect. There is a point at which the combing is so randomly broad that it "smooths out". In fact, depending upon which anomaly you are concerned about, comb filtering is arguably worst with just 2 sources as the notches will be the widest and deepest.

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on July 19, 2021, 01:18:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Chris Hindle ---I'm sure it sounded just dandy once you had a good buzz going......  8)
--- End quote ---
Could have done it with two Danleys. ::)

--- End quote ---
Your Danleys buzz?   :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version