ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro2 dead as Elvis  (Read 1925 times)

gordonmcgregor

Re: Midas Pro2 dead as Elvis
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 04:18:20 PM »

There was someone on this side of the pond had a Pro? series desk do this and it was the little battery which had died, in his case it was cold and lack of use that did it. As was said probably best to phone someone in the rabbit warren that is Music Tribe support and get the correct procedure.

jason misterka

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »

I had a similar problem once.  Midas talked me through moving the RAM chip(s) to an unused slot and re-seating them.  IIRC, and it has been a while, there is an extra slot or two that is not used.  Moving to the new slots solved this problem.  Once re-set into the new slots, I was able to put them back into the old slot and it worked fine as well, so I don't think the RAM nor the slots were necessarily broken, but perhaps had a temporary contact issue or something.  I don't recall, as it has been a while, and I did the fix in a field at a festival so I was just happy to get things working again.

Hello, first post here, hopefully in right forum!!!

I have a Pro2 that worked the last time it was used in early 2020 when CV-19 hit. The venue where the console is, is getting ready to open so I checked out my Pro2 and SC48 today and they are both screwed up from down time  >:(. The Midas is completely Fubar. I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem and has had any experience with this described issue:
Upon turn on, the console is dark for about 20 seconds, then, all the channel buttons and lights everywhere light up at full peaking for about 25 seconds. The screen never comes on. Then the lights die and console goes dark. On the back of the console, the console looks normal with all the lights seemingly working fine, and both power supplies on. The Dr251 stage box shows that it seems to be working and no errors. But no lights no screen! 😑. And nothing elseÖ.

So, I did what I always do, and took that sucker apart, cleaned it thoroughly, sprayed all the internal connections made sure everything looked good, to no avail. I noticed that there was a big-azz SD card in there, guessing that the console boots up from that?

Anyone ever hear of a like problem on a Pro? Thanks for any help. Also, if thereís a known good service number for Midas Iíd love to know what that number is.

Dana Monroe

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 02:16:41 AM »

There was someone on this side of the pond had a Pro? series desk do this and it was the little battery which had died, in his case it was cold and lack of use that did it. As was said probably best to phone someone in the rabbit warren that is Music Tribe support and get the correct procedure.
Alrighty then, an update. I made a special holder for another CR2032 battery so I could parallel a new battery with the old one (showing 2.9 volts), via alligator test leads. No help. I have never dealt with Midas help before. I have to admit that I was a bit annoyed that you just canít Google a freakin phone number or find any sort of help on their website. Personally I think thatís total BS and a huge annoyance, but thatís just me. You have to get on MusicTribe and go through all the crap before you can finally, magically see a help number when dealing with Pro series consoles. Why make it so hard?

Anyway, I did receive emailed replies on this always within 24 hrs from Midas. But time is short so eventually I called the emergency number and did get help from both sides of the Atlantic so I would say service answers were good. I tried  all the things they suggested, and shorting out 2 connections on the MC board for a reset but still no help. It has been determined that yes Virginia, my MC board is dead as Elvis, and needs replacement.

I have an early Pro2 thatís 9 years old. Midas has a 10 year warranty but itís only good starting with consoles purchased AFTER Sept 1, 2014. Well I guess thatís not 10 years is it? Yeah well thatís just the way it is. So I guess these early consoles have Fujitsu MC boards in them. They discontinued them some time ago. Midas did have some but when supplies ran out, they switched to new boards made by Advantech. Now then, if youíd like your Pro series desk fixed with the new Advantech MC boards you need a new wiring harness too! So this adds some real headache to service. While I feel confident in doing all the switchover and wiring/soldering , the tech said almost everyone botches the repair so Iím just not going to argue and will send the console back to a service center which is Las Vegas for this particular repair job.

Thatís where I stand right now, hopefully freighting the desk off early next week. It will probably be up to a $2000 repair with new MC board, freight, tech time and wiring harness. Ouch  :-\. But at least a very critical component will give me years of service hopefully. Thought Iíd give those interested the information I learned over the last week.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »

Alrighty then, an update. I made a special holder for another CR2032 battery so I could parallel a new battery with the old one (showing 2.9 volts), via alligator test leads. No help. I have never dealt with Midas help before. I have to admit that I was a bit annoyed that you just canít Google a freakin phone number or find any sort of help on their website. Personally I think thatís total BS and a huge annoyance, but thatís just me. You have to get on MusicTribe and go through all the crap before you can finally, magically see a help number when dealing with Pro series consoles. Why make it so hard?

Anyway, I did receive emailed replies on this always within 24 hrs from Midas. But time is short so eventually I called the emergency number and did get help from both sides of the Atlantic so I would say service answers were good. I tried  all the things they suggested, and shorting out 2 connections on the MC board for a reset but still no help. It has been determined that yes Virginia, my MC board is dead as Elvis, and needs replacement.

I have an early Pro2 thatís 9 years old. Midas has a 10 year warranty but itís only good starting with consoles purchased AFTER Sept 1, 2014. Well I guess thatís not 10 years is it? Yeah well thatís just the way it is. So I guess these early consoles have Fujitsu MC boards in them. They discontinued them some time ago. Midas did have some but when supplies ran out, they switched to new boards made by Advantech. Now then, if youíd like your Pro series desk fixed with the new Advantech MC boards you need a new wiring harness too! So this adds some real headache to service. While I feel confident in doing all the switchover and wiring/soldering , the tech said almost everyone botches the repair so Iím just not going to argue and will send the console back to a service center which is Las Vegas for this particular repair job.

Thatís where I stand right now, hopefully freighting the desk off early next week. It will probably be up to a $2000 repair with new MC board, freight, tech time and wiring harness. Ouch  :-\. But at least a very critical component will give me years of service hopefully. Thought Iíd give those interested the information I learned over the last week.

Thanks for the update, Dana, and congratulations on finding the secret handshake and magic decoder ring in the cereal box...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »

Alrighty then, an update...

Thought Iíd give those interested the information I learned over the last week.

Thank you for that. You've given us information that is new to me:

1) If you go through the website rigamarole, you get to a phone number.

2) Calling that number results in real help.

3) There is still a service center in Las Vegas to ship broken products to.

For me at least, none of that has been clear until now.

Thanks!

Signed, someone with lots of Behringer and Midas products

Dana Monroe

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 12:59:07 AM »

Iím glad to be of help. That number is 702-842-9501 and as I understand it thatís a number for Midas Pro series mixers only (not like M32ís). I could be wrong on that, but thatís the impression I got.

Also I should mention that 2.9 volts (or lower) is NOT enough for the MC board 2032 battery.  Itís not like a flashlight, that board wants to see 3volts or higher. It will not do itís thing (supposedly) If the voltage is less. If and when you change the batteries on those cards, then you need to wait 15 minutes before turning on the console again. This is all from nice techs I talked to.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2021, 02:32:39 PM »

Iím glad to be of help. That number is 702-842-9501 and as I understand it thatís a number for Midas Pro series mixers only (not like M32ís). I could be wrong on that, but thatís the impression I got.

You are not wrong about that, apparently. It is indeed for Midas Pro series only, and the guys who should know at the newish unofficial Behringer forums agree that there is currently no number or service support for Behringer/low end Midas products.

I posted a link to this thread there and that lack of support was pointed out shortly thereafter; I've waited a week or so for refutation before posting here, and there has been no indication of anything to the contrary.

As much as I like my X/M series mixers and associated parts, this has to be a huge red flag for anyone considering purchasing new product. I cannot in good conscience recommend them anymore, but I'll keep using mine till they all break.

Uli, I hope you read this and see what you've done. You were doing great for a long time with the digital stuff, but having no service, apparently warranty or otherwise, is a bonehead move.

Dana Monroe

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 12:16:02 AM »

You are not wrong about that, apparently. It is indeed for Midas Pro series only, and the guys who should know at the newish unofficial Behringer forums agree that there is currently no number or service support for Behringer/low end Midas products.

This is what my gut feeling all along was, that at the very least, thereís no real support for cheap Midas stuff. What I was unsure about was if and when my Pro series stuff failed. So here is an update:

As reported, I had very good replies once I did the secret handshake with MusicTribe with Pro2 issues, as well as great phone support. I was expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. I sent the console in, and it was repaired in a few days once it got to the repair center in LV. The only ding on all this was that once they had repaired it, it actually took longer for them to figure out who was going to call me for paying the bill and where that phone call was going to come from (ended up L.A.).

I got the console back, with its new MC board, and new wiring harness to make that work. They also replaced 8 faders that didnít like the Covid lack of use period, as well as some switches. The total cost was under $2000 and didnít charge me for return freight which was awesome.

Post repair weirdness:
Well upon turning the console on, it seems like it had some very long boot up times, or at least the part where all the LED ladders and associated lights stay peaked for about 40 seconds. I donít remember that long of a time where things are peaking. I checked it again yesterday at the venue (now reinstalled) and it seems like the time is down to about 30 seconds, but still longer than I remembered. It could be my imagination, or something to do with the new stuff.

More weirdness: I get a call from a tech that says that he pulled up his show file and couldnít get any gain from the mic pres on certain channels. Then the problem seemed to magically go away. So I went in the next day, pulled up a old show file, and checked a surface XLR and it was fine. Then I checked ch1 (stagebox) with the gain at -30 and it was fine for a mic, right where it should be. Then I checked ch25 and experienced the same no gain/low gain thing. I had another engineer there too and we could not figure out why there was no gain going on with this channel. So, we took a working channel (ch1), and ďcopied to allĒ and overwrote all 48 channels. Then, one by one, we checked every channel and everything seemed perfect.

I can only surmise that either the lack of use during the crapdemic or recent console repair has caused file corruption. By copying a good channel to all the others, I think this may have solved that, but obviously any old show file will need to be overwritten in this manner and thoroughly checked. As the venues are just starting to come alive again, it will be a wait and see/hear to get some more info and clarity on these issues.

I will report back in if thereís any new news about post repair problems as itís just a matter of time for any Midas with old MC boards to fail and need the same repair I just had.

Spock out

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 12:16:02 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.